• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Should you tell watch repair shop it's a replica?

finfan88

Horology Curious
8/10/08
I took in my Breitling Skyland avenger in for repair and they quoted me $300 to fix it and I paid $290 for it new. Should I tell them it's a replica to lower the price?

Dynaduck

Sales moderator
Advisor
6/4/11
Well, they'd probably notice once they open the watch anyway...?

finfan88

Horology Curious
8/10/08
Something big is loose inside of watch. Should I take watch to another repair shop and tell them it's a replica up front?

Dynaduck

Sales moderator
Advisor
6/4/11
Where are you located? Maybe someone on here can help you out.

finfan88

Horology Curious
8/10/08
Location is in Boynton Beach FL. Any watch Smith you can recommend?

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
I posted this to your thread in the Breitling section, still think you should look inside first and see if it is something as simple as the rotor.

It's a rep, not minimizing it, as I love mine, and I am sure you love this one. But open it up and look. If it's something big it could be as simple as the rotor came loose. Find the screw and repair it yourself for free and learn about it here at RWI! Tons of threads and tutorials on what to do.

I had an Omega rep do that to me, I bought a $10 kit on Amazon, opened up the back found the rotor was loose and found the tiny screw, put it back together and now it runs great!

Plus if that's all it is, the shop you went to are crooks!

Or you can find an RWI approved Modder/Service center in the Tech Section. Either way, Good Luck!

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
No. Tell them it's straight up gen from Switzerland and that you've got more where that came from. Lol. ....Just for a laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
I dont think it's gonna be less work for them, if yountell them it's a replica. they probs still want the dough. my 2c

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I took in my Breitling Skyland avenger in for repair and they quoted me $300 to fix it and I paid $290 for it new. Should I tell them it's a replica to lower the price?

Telling them it's rep won't lower the price any. Did they give you a quote without even looking at it? Competent watch repair is not cheap and they probably think you paid $4K for it.

leonado

Known Member
23/4/06
That repair shop sounds dodgy. How can they quote any repairs without having taken a look at the movement.

Sounds to me that they recognized your rep at first glance and just dont want to work on it, hence quoting you a price higher than your purchase price.

Take your business elsewhere.

Regards,

L

senatorwalley

Known Member
5/2/15
Unless you are taking it to an AD, I really doubt anyone is going to get their feathers too ruffled. I'm in NY and we have tons of these weird barber shops that also double as shoe and watch repair places. There is one up my block that actually loves working on my reps and is always interested in what I bring them. If anything, flopping it out on the table right off the bat lets everyone know whats up immediately.

Reactions: Watchgeekdon

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Loose rotor from the sounds of it, a $25 fix on average.

If anything, flopping it out on the table right off the bat lets everyone know whats up immediately.
That can get you arrested in a lot of countries :daffy:

niotin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/15
honestly if a watch is broken, I'd rather use one of the people on the forums who do this sort of thing.

D

d4m.test

$300 sounds about right to me for any serious and qualified non-rep watchsmith to take it in. The AD would send it away and charge $700 because they just don´t do it for less, change the seals once it´s been opened, service and pressure test it - even if it´s not what You wanted or it´s just a loose rotor.
This will soon get much worse and much more expensive for most gen swiss brands: new policies of only allowing in-house servicing by not supplying parts.

lolo1972sg

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
I posted this to your thread in the Breitling section, still think you should look inside first and see if it is something as simple as the rotor.

It's a rep, not minimizing it, as I love mine, and I am sure you love this one. But open it up and look. If it's something big it could be as simple as the rotor came loose. Find the screw and repair it yourself for free and learn about it here at RWI! Tons of threads and tutorials on what to do.

I had an Omega rep do that to me, I bought a $10 kit on Amazon, opened up the back found the rotor was loose and found the tiny screw, put it back together and now it runs great!

Plus if that's all it is, the shop you went to are crooks!

Or you can find an RWI approved Modder/Service center in the Tech Section. Either way, Good Luck!

I can't agree more with this.
We can learn something when we DIY.
And 300 for a service? I would buy another rep with that money....

Tatagiba

9/1/13
I have a good watch smith near my workplace (Brazil). Very nice old sir ...

He would charge me R$50,00 = U$12,00 for the service, including cleanup and movement revising.

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
I would have told the watch-smith up front that it is a rep. Some of these guys are not willing to deal in the rep world and might make a real stink about it.

That being said, don't expect much of a discount, as labor is labor, regardless of what he's working on.

As to whether or not it's worth doing at that price, suppose it depends on one's outlook. If you end up with a fully serviced movement that'll last you a long time, it may be a better value than simply spending another $290 to buy a replacement.

Mandreas

Renowned Member
9/11/14
Send it to katt...

He'll have it turned around in like a week (based on my experience) and if you ship it USPS priority flat rate the the shipping will only be like $12 round trip...

Reactions: Tribefan

Suncoast

29/6/12
I have a good watch smith near my workplace (Brazil). Very nice old sir ...

He would charge me R$50,00 = U$12,00 for the service, including cleanup and movement revising.

I wish we could get service here for those prices, even with shipping it would be a good deal!!