• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How often can I (should I) wear my rep watch?

KtrainHurricane

Horology Curious
15/6/15
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but I was wondering what the consensus is on how often one can wear their replica watch "safely." I am new to this and just bought my first rep - an Omega Speedmaster from a TD on this website. From what I've read it has the "best" movement available in a rep (ST19) but I'm not sure what exactly that even means...

Basically I'm curious about how often can I wear it. Every day? To work, and run errands, and around the house, and...well, everything? Or should this be a "wear for a few days then wear another for a few days" type deal? Do these reps "wear out," or should they last indefinitely if I give the watch proper care...and if so, what would that "proper care" specifically entail?

My watch is a manual - is it "safe" to wind it every day? Or will doing so put strain on certain parts causing premature failure?

Sorry again for all of this if it's common knowledge. I searched around a bit and didn't find all of these answered. I do appreciate everything I've learned from this forum so far, though!

D

d4m.test

Hi, use it and enjoy it at ease. The St19 is made for being wound, so just make it a ritual to give it the needed turns at a certain time of the day. One automatic, the Explorer II I ha it running for 24 months non-stop before storing it away over Summer this Year (good power reserve of over 44 hrs and daily on the wrist for some hours).
Some specific stop-watches or gold-plated reps are better suited for just using once a week, most You can just use as much as You want, when needed after some years they just get serviced as any gen needs too.

Once Your collection starts growing, You probably start using them in turns anyway.
ExplII_2294_zps350e1a49.jpg

Legendarysam5

Renowned Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/10/15
Agreed with Daywatch. Wear them as much as you want. I find myself rotating through all my watches throughout the week.

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
Just to reiterate what [MENTION=72466]Daywatch[/MENTION] said:

If a replica has gold, it was most likely plated. In rare occasions the gold might be wrapped, but the price of the watch will usually indicate this feature (much more expensive). Regardless, these gold coatings are much more delicate than the solid gold parts they are replicating. The quality of the gold coating will determine how long you can expect the color to last before fading from wear. Scratches may expose underlying metals and polishing will reduce the lifetime of the coating. For this reason, most members either stray from gold watches or wear them sparingly. Those who are really interested in a gold build for daily wear will usually shell out for solid gold parts.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I wear mine all the time and wind them everyday because I'm OCD, if something breaks I have VAC fix it this way I ensure all my watches are in tip top shape at all times.. The best test of a Rep quality is to use it!

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Until I joined this forum earlier this year and expanded my collection I wore my Submariner (admittedly with a real ETA) just about every day and every activity for over 10 years, then I had a service when the movement stopped and then carried on for another 2 years, now it's in rotation with my other newer acquisitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amgerpower

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/5/13
You know, I took your original title in a different way.

How often can you wear a watch that is "expensive" when you have not had it in the past.

Do others around you instantly judge you for having something that is thousands and thousands of dollars after owning watches that cost no where near as much.

And then..... You have a collection all of a sudden that others around you will see if you let them. Is it too much to show to those that you know, or do you buy them and keep to yourself to not give off this aura of either I spent my life savings, or something is up...

Just a different take on your thoughts.

Also, to answer your question, I have a rep PAM 312 I wear daily that keeps perfect time, even under water.