• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

new 318L, running super fast, help!

mtlhabs

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/11/10
Just received the Pam 318L today, looks awesome but its running crazy fast. Its about 2-3 min fast PER HOUR, what do you guys suggest? Should I send it back (dont really like this option), any quick fixes?

Thanks for the help

tokeyx

27/3/11
2-3 minutes an hour something is seriously wrong. If its brand new I would send it back. Sending it to one of our watchsmiths is an option too, since it'll get a complete service and maybe bre better in the long run, if speed that fast can even be fixed.

BigChief

Renowned Member
8/5/09
This is an easy fix. Happens quite a bit.
Wind the watch until you cant wind it anymore.
Once you have done that, hold it face down and smack it in the palm of your hand or side of your leg about 20 times.

This fixes the problem 95% of the time.

Ive had that issue with 6 or so watches.

zivadavis

29/1/11
i had a similar problem....i was not aware of the "repair" suggested as above...it would not have repaired my watch that has a similar problem but its a good trick to know if the suggestion i am about to make doesnt work

my getat 44mm watch suddenly ran 5 minutes fast every hour.....turned out my watch somehow got magnetized so i took it to my local watchsmith who is willing to look at reps.....he placed a compass on the watch and the needle spun around indicating the "innards" had been magnitized.....he ran the watch over/through a demagnitzer and SHAZAM it was repaired an i haven't had a problem since and the watch now keeps excellent time

if you dont have access to a demagnitizer (provided your watch moves a compass needle around indicating it has become magnitized) you can go to any local store that uses a theft deterrent device to turn on or off the tag attached to the garment or item being protected and run the watch over that about 10 or 15 times on each side of the watch head to demagnitize it.....known as degaussing

most clerks wont mind degaussing your watch if you ask for their help...a few friends have done this

note.....my watch was received in normal working condition and became magnitized probably when i waloked through the xray dept where i work....it started to run 5 minutes fast every hour without warning....i posted my problem up on another board and i received about 5 or 6 scenarios that could be the problem and the simplest was to demag the watch which turned out to be the solution...

if my suggestion doesnt work i would either work out something with the dealer you bought from or try and find a local guy who can diagnose and repair it or see if someone on this board is willing to look at your watch and fix it

try the compass and degaussing or the suggestion in the post above mine......at least its free

mtlhabs

27/11/10
Thanks for your help guys. Actually, jmw920 trick worked like a charm, its now running at a much more respectable rate!

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
Once you have done that, hold it face down and smack it in the palm of your hand or side of your leg about 20 times.

Was about to suggest a similar trick... One wack face up into your palm followed by one face down into your palm... If it's running that fast it usually is the hairspring sticking on itself effectively shortening it's length making it run fast.
I've had that work wonders on multiple watches over the years... Both rep and Gen.

Glad to hear the trick worked for you OP.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10

Darn, I destroyed to watches before I found this memo... Now I know, thanks RWI.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
In 3 years this is the first time I've heard that tip.
Good to know, and good to know it worked in at least a few cases.
God bless RWI!!

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
That sound like something you really wouldn't want to do to a watch, but it's good to know it actually works! Learn something new every day here...

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
That sound like something you really wouldn't want to do to a watch, but it's good to know it actually works! Learn something new every day here...

First watch I did it too was an Omega PO of the 4th Gen.... Was to the point of "well, I've got nothing left to lose..." was about to swap the movement out if I couldn't get it to work.
Two smacks... One face up, one face down... And the watch came into line nicely. Ran for several years within a few seconds of dead-on before I sold it to a friend. He is still rocking it.

TommyW

21/9/10
recieved my 318 on Thursday and noticed this exact problem this morning as a I woke up to find it half an hour ahead, logged on here and found this thread

it seems the whacking tip has worked for me

cheers all

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Nice idea for fixing >>>

A scrambled hairspring problem!!...I've had that situation, and used a toothpick (VERRRY CAREFULLY) to sort it out, but next time I'll definitely try this first!!
Anything's less nerve wracking than diddling hairsprings!!!

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I'm assuming "whacking" only works on pieces running too fast, correct?

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
I am bringing this back from the deads.

I received a Noob V3 111n this morning. It was running 8 minutes fast.... PER HOUR!!! The smacking method worked like a charm.

Longstreet29

Horology Curious
6/12/15
Sorry to reply to a comment you posted four years ago, but had to say thanks. Just wanted to let you know, as of yesterday, that trick still works. Received a new Getat yesterday, everything perfect with the exception of the movement adding about 3 to 5 seconds every minute! You saved me having to send it all the way back to Hong Kong. It's keeping time just fine now, so thank you very much! Incidentally, I did a general Google search and happened to already be a member here. Yours was the only mention of such a thing that I could easily find on the entire internet via Google. IOU1.