• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Bay Black is OUT?

Radman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/12/13
Looks pretty nice. I wish the Black Bay ONE would come out.

Radman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/12/13
Absolutely True. Still pretty cool to have a rep of a single watch that was made.
Mainly im not sure if I should own both bbb and ONE.

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
The pics show a black insert but the listing says Blue! No written reference to Black insert!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Miserable looking red triangle around the pearl. Hope that's only this particular watch and not endemic to this version!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

connery77

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
16/8/11
Is it just me or does the color of the lume look too yellow instead of cream?

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
This. It looks really off (green/yellow-ish) and nothing like the gen.

The lume color looks the same in InTime's pic for the BB Black as it does for the BB Red, as seen in these pics (pics courtesy of InTime).

As a V3 BB Red owner, I can say for certain that the Red came with a white, bordering on cream color (not very green or yellow). While still slightly lighter than the gen, it's pretty close, so I wouldn't worry about the lume color. Though I hope the lume is flat within the applied indices, as many of the V3 BB Red had overfilled lumpy lume in later examples (like mine sadly). Here's the stock lume color on my V3 BB Red in direct sunlight (through a window), and indirect lighting (through curtains and a lamp).

I made sure the white balance on these pics looked the same as the actual scene, so this is exactly how my lume was colored. Shows how much lighting can effect pics, and just walking into another room can make a rep or gen look pretty different.

The red triangle is unfortunate however, as most pics of the new gen look to be bright red, rather than this slightly maroon shade. The lightbox could obscure the actual color slightly, so I'm not certain how off it actually is until pics from owners roll in. The pearl itself however, looks much better than the V3 pearl that came with my BB Red.

I think most speculation will just drive us crazy, and I'd wait until these start getting into the hands of collectors for solid feedback and discussion. Just look at the crazy 136 page J12 15400 thread. It was mostly speculation, until the watches actually got into our hands! Either way, pretty stoked on this release. The Black Bay has had the best tactile feel of any rep, and I've wanted an excuse for a second one.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
The main thing that caught me was the Lume color. Seems to be the wrong shade. Something I could never get over with unfortunately. Hopefully it isn't green as the pics show

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
The gen uses the same dial and hands as the red version, so you would think the rep makers would have it easy and just do the same thing! Very strange that the pics are all showing this messed up lume when it is OK with the red.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
The gen uses the same dial and hands as the red version, so you would think the rep makers would have it easy and just do the same thing! Very strange that the pics are all showing this messed up lume when it is OK with the red.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The dial color is actually different, the Red has a deep chocolate color, and the Black has a matte black dial. The lume honestly looks like the Red V3, which isn't that bad.

The only difference between the two watches lume color, is the lighting, and mild white balance differences between the two pictures. You can tell by the harsh highlights on the BB Black towards the top, that it was getting more direct light towards the dial, whereas the BB Red has no harsh highlights, showing that the lighting was further diffused, leading to a more accurate representation of the lume color.

While there wasn't anything I could do about the direction of the light hitting the BB Black, I set the white balance on both pictures so colors are represented the same. Here's one marker from BB Black, superimposed upon the BB Red dial. Both indices are at 8 on each dial, with the BB Black being the right half of the index.

So we've got two cream colors, one slightly lighter than the other simply because of lighting. Just like the two pictures of my V3 Red displayed different lume shades, simply because of lighting.

I hope this is enough to ease most mind of the possibility of the lume being different than the old V3 Black Bay Red. Dealer pics rarely portray colors completely perfect.

connery77

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
16/8/11
Looks like someone got theirs already on the other thread and the lume in his pics looks pretty green/yellow.

Fracture

Renowned Member
7/10/13
Somebody needs to put the rep next to a gen, I really can't figure out if the lume is right or not :p

connery77

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
16/8/11
Somebody needs to put the rep next to a gen, I really can't figure out if the lume is right or not :p

THIS. And some more QC pics. Until then, I have to disagree. It just doesn't look right.