• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Speedmaster Professional "2013 Limited Edition"

gsxcbr1

Renowned Member
Certified
8/8/11
Hi all,

Been quite obsessed with the Speedmaster lately and recently found this piece on Toro's website. I love the vintage style sword hands and lack of crown guards. I searched the forum but could not find any reviews of this specific model. Does anyone have any experience with this piece or can someone kindly point me in the direction of any reviews of this model? I know the dial spacing is off but if the crystal looks good and there are no other glaring issues maybe it could hold me off of the gen purchase for a while.

http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_142&product_id=1495

image_zpsaqgiyl4c.jpeg

image_zpsk4cuypx7.jpeg

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
It's a nice rep, and probably the best Speedy rep out there in terms of accuracy.It's actually based on the Speedmaster "Numbered Edition" (a.k.a. the "First Omega in Space") offered by Omega in 2013. If you search around with that name you'll find quite a few reviews and threads discussing it.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/205532-Speedmaster-moonwatch-numbered-edition
http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=97260&hl=&fromsearch=1

Just FYI, the bracelet version is a fantasy model - the gen only came on a brown leather strap (Toro also offers this version). But certainly nothing wrong with wearing it on the bracelet if that's what you prefer. :) Also keep in mind it's a bit smaller than the "regular" Moonwatch at 39.7mm vs 42mm, same as the gen since it's based on the vintage model that had a smaller case. But really a solid rep IMO.

D

d4m.test

It´s a very nice watch in itself and for a chrono very reliable with that movement. I´d wear it as it is, sometimes ppl do a relume and change the plexi. The subdial spacing on the gen is different, for me it´s not a dealbraker, I regret not buying it when it was 30% cheaper last year (euro-devaluation).

gsxcbr1

Renowned Member
Certified
8/8/11
Thanks so much everyone, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for! I've been obsessed with the moon watch for the last year or so, been close several times to buying a second hand gen but haven't been able to pull the trigger. I keep coming back to the reps hoping one can satisfy me but I'm just not sure. My grail would be a vintage 2998, but I'd settle for a 3572.50 or 3592.50 (hesalite crystal with exhibition case back).

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15

Well if you like the 2998 then this is the rep for you! Maybe even get a modder to age and vintagize it for you, throw in on a distressed leather strap or JB Champion mesh and it'll look like you robbed the Smithsonian!

But I know what you mean - I knew right off the bat that none of the reps would satisfy me, so I just bought a used gen. You can find them in the $2k range all the time, which is a lot but pretty reasonable all things considered.

Of course now that I have a gen I'm STILL not satisfied!! :laugh: Eventually I'll sell it and buy my grail, a 105.012? - THE first watch worn on the moon.

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
I have this one. Perfect mix between vintage and contemporary. Movement runs like a charm.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

gsxcbr1

Renowned Member
Certified
8/8/11
I have this one. Perfect mix between vintage and contemporary. Movement runs like a charm.

Wow, very nice looking! I really do like this rep and the idea of modding it to create a more vintage look is starting to sound good. Is there anyone on the board known for vintage modding speedmasters? I know there are many people doing vintage Pams and Rolex, but you don't see hardly any vintage speedmasters.

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
Is there anyone on the board known for vintage modding speedmasters? I know there are many people doing vintage Pams and Rolex, but you don't see hardly any vintage speedmasters.

Maybe try hitting up some modders who have experience with vintage Daytonas and see if they'd be up for it? They're very similar, especially this particular model.

You don't really need to do too much to this one. I'd just reshape the case a little bit to simulate 40 years of polishing and wear, age the dial and hands, and fade the bezel insert. Maybe even a gen hesalite while you can still get them.

gsxcbr1

Renowned Member
Certified
8/8/11
Maybe try hitting up some modders who have experience with vintage Daytonas and see if they'd be up for it? They're very similar, especially this particular model.

You don't really need to do too much to this one. I'd just reshape the case a little bit to simulate 40 years of polishing and wear, age the dial and hands, and fade the bezel insert. Maybe even a gen hesalite while you can still get them.

Yeah I like this idea! Would be great to achieve something like this photo, maybe with a little more aging on the bezel insert. I looked at crystals from Otto Frei and he requires a "case number" printed inside the case back to determine which crystal to order. Does anybody know which crystal to order for the numbered edition?
image_zpsv7253gis.png

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15

I looked at crystals from Otto Frei and he requires a "case number" printed inside the case back to determine which crystal to order. Does anybody know which crystal to order for the numbered edition?

The case number for the Numbered Edition is 145.0049. It's a little tricky because the gen actually uses a sapphire crystal, part number 062SL5005, which is 34.2mm diameter. The closest hesalite crystal I could find is the "standard" moonwatch plexi 063PW5139, which is 34.17mm diameter.

No idea if that would be true for the rep though. Hopefully someone who has this rep already can pop out the crystal and give you some measurements. If not you may just have to experiment with some aftermarket plexis to see what diameter works for you.

gsxcbr1

Renowned Member
Certified
8/8/11
The case number for the Numbered Edition is 145.0049. It's a little tricky because the gen actually uses a sapphire crystal, part number 062SL5005, which is 34.2mm diameter. The closest hesalite crystal I could find is the "standard" moonwatch plexi 063PW5139, which is 34.17mm diameter.

No idea if that would be true for the rep though. Hopefully someone who has this rep already can pop out the crystal and give you some measurements. If not you may just have to experiment with some aftermarket plexis to see what diameter works for you.

Thank you so much for these part numbers and measurements, this is a tremendous help! It certainly sounds like there is a good chance the standard moon watch hesalite crystal will fit the rep Numbered Edition. I'm closing a deal for the rep Numbered Edition now, once it's in my hands I'll try to get some measurements of the crystal. I can't believe the gen has a sapphire crystal, definitely screws the whole vintage theme!

Do you think any of the older bracelets on Otto Frei would fit the rep Numbered Edition? The case number doesn't match any bracelets on the website (assume because it was issued only on leather). Would be great to fit something like the photo below:

image_zpsmwbilkdj.jpeg

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
Do you think any of the older bracelets on Otto Frei would fit the rep Numbered Edition? The case number doesn't match any bracelets on the website (assume because it was issued only on leather). Would be great to fit something like the photo below:

The bracelet in the photo looks like a 1039, which is long discontinued and no longer available. The replacement is the 1171, which Ofrei sells for $298 (http://www.ofrei.com/page1280.html). This is the bracelet an Omega service center would fit to the watch if you sent it to them for service, so it's "correct." Assuming the rep case is a similar profile to the gen, the 633 end links are your best bet, but you'll definitely need to file them down to fit, even on a gen (Omega purposely makes them wider than necessary so they can fit older watches that have been polished and worn away over the years). They're not solid end links so you can bend and file them to fit the rep if necessary.

But you're talking close to $400 with shipping for the bracelet and end links. I would definitely go with an aftermarket bracelet or better yet a mesh rather than pay more than cost of the rep for a rattly, hollow link bracelet with a stamped clasp. Save the money and put it towards a gen someday. ;)

gsxcbr1

Renowned Member
Certified
8/8/11
Look what showed up today! Initial impression is very good. Going to get the calipers out tonight and measure the crystal, I definitely want to swap for the gen hesalite. My plan is to turn this into a vintage build! I may start a new thread for the build, it's definitely going to take some research to find the right modder.

image_zpsopik6j19.jpeg

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
Look what showed up today! Initial impression is very good. Going to get the calipers out tonight and measure the crystal, I definitely want to swap for the gen hesalite. My plan is to turn this into a vintage build! I may start a new thread for the build, it's definitely going to take some research to find the right modder.

image_zpsopik6j19.jpeg

Looks KILLER right out of the box! Awesome!

Yes, please keep us updated on the vintage build. I'm surprised not more people have modded this watch since it's a great watch on its own has a rock solid movement. Like I said, I'd search around for some minders who do vintage Daytonas since the construction and aging are very similar.

Wear it in good health!

gsxcbr1

Renowned Member
Certified
8/8/11
Okay, so I measured the crystal, and granted I did not take it out of the case but it looks to be slightly smaller than the gen hesalite that measures 34.17mm. Do you guys think the rep crystal might get a little wider at the base? If not, could the gen hesalite be shaved to fit??
image_zpsg7lhjxku.jpeg

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
Okay, so I measured the crystal, and granted I did not take it out of the case but it looks to be slightly smaller than the gen hesalite that measures 34.17mm. Do you guys think the rep crystal might get a little wider at the base? If not, could the gen hesalite be shaved to fit??

You absolutely have to take it out of the case to get an accurate measurement. At first glance it does appear to be smaller, but to be sure you need to pop it out to be sure. Make sure you have a crystal press or something similar to avoid cracking it when you put it back in.

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
Be aware of the pushers. They tend to be loose. I had to glue mine back. But it is a great watch

Zulu44gmt

3/7/15
When I updated my 39mm speedmaster ST19 version ---hesalite I used the 34mm from Ofrei 063PW5139. Looks like price is going up... now they are $78.00... I love mine though... gotta look real close for that hallmark --but its there ;)

I couldn't determine what the Omega PN would be for the larger 42mm quartz version -- So I opt'd for the Sternkreuz Hw and at $1.67...

Looks like your watch already has a doomed crystal? Both mine were pretty flat- if yours is already doomed then it might not be a noticeable difference.