• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Miyota Movements in Rep - New?

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Having a discussion with a user in the AP forum about the Miyota movements (and 9015 in general). He mentions that Citizen has super tight controls over the Miyota movements - and that the movements used in our reps are actually Chinese clones of these? Any truth to this? I figured, with the buying power of the factories/suppliers in China, plus the fact that these watches are illegal copies they'd have no problem securing NEW and GEN movements from someone. Hell, these things cost $30-$50 new for a consumer, I'd imagine they can get them so cheap it'd be pointless to rep them in the first place.

Any thoughts on this? I want to start purchasing Miyota based reps due to (what I thought) them being new and a cheap replacement if they crap out.

miyota-9015.jpg

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
I Googled a bit and found a discussion happening at RWG concerning this as well. They prodded a few TDs after one commented the same as you heard and they mentioned that all the Miyota movements are new. The confusion in them being a "clone" was the same as the AP movement. They didn't mean the Miyota was a clone, simply that they cloned the look from the AP movement and placed it over the Miyota.

Rotador

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/14
Some days ago, I read an article about clone movements in Chinese Watch Wiki. Click here, I think it is interesting.

There are some factories in China that make clones from Japanese movements, including Miyota. About these clone movements, the article says: In their basic form these movements exactly match the dimensions of the Miyota movement, enabling them to compete directly for some of Miyota's established clients.

These clone movements exist, but I don't know if rep manufacturers use them or they choose the Japanese miyotas.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Almost all Chinese 21j movements such as the DG and NN2813's are based on the Miyota movements. Though not clones, they are copies. Most scam sites that tout Miyota movements in their reps are actually A21j.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

umaxim

13/6/15
What about 9015 movement? I looked at the Chinese WiKi article and they just mention 21,000 beat clones