• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP @12 A7750 and 7750 yes or avoid

Bull05

20/10/15
Guys,

I've been reading posts a lot lately but still a lot of confusion regarding movements and @12, @9 or @6....I love those AP watches but scared to pull trigger on them because of all the post I see. Are we better to stay away from @12 and A7750-7750 movements since they seem to be breaking down at one point? Is there an alternative for AP that runs better or less problems down the road? Hope you can shed some light on this.

kurtvado

24/8/15
Its different, it all depends how lucky you are, and how you treat the movement. Read some threads about when to start/stop the chrono, and when to change the date.
A service will just get the movement alive again, but you will never know when they will die again - especially the 12@, because of the extra jewels. I know that Domi helps with a jewel mod + service, which may give the movement a little longer life time. That is the only solution at the moment with the 12@, if you dont want to go franken.

Bull05

20/10/15
Well that's the thing, I'm not really in this to mod them or service them all the time like some guys here who it is a hobby for them. I'm in this because I love watches and if I can get some rep that looks like the gen's or close to it is all good with me. As long as the watch works fine. That is why I'm still on the side if the @12 is really a coin toss. I'd rather get my money on a movement that would be better and more reliable for me anyways. Is there other options for the AP watches or most the time you get it in a A7750 movement? Maybe my best bet would be to buy them in the sale forums here from guys that already modded them or something like that...Ya I'll have to read again those post on when to change dates and start/stop chrono because I didn't get this 100%.

FLWatchGuy

Renowned Member
Supporter
22/3/15
If you like the AP look but don't want a 7750 movement, you might want to start looking at the dress watches, like the 15400, or the Diver models.

Bull05

20/10/15
Well I do love some of the Diver as well. The dresses ones, there are not really my style hehe. I might have to jump eventually for one or 2 of the Roo and whatever happens happens but I will continue checking the sales forums as well. I know Prof had one for sale now sold but it was an AP blue theme with an ETA cloned...Maybe this is a mod version of an ASIAN but not sure, I need more reading hehe.

Xswapper5

Renowned Member
Supporter
6/3/14
Texas
I belive the one prof had was just the standard 7750. I have a few modded ap that are running great, a few that havn't been serviced or modded that run great, and then several that don't run at all. The ap are in my opinion gorgeous but you never know when they'll die. If your not sure about the style or the movement I might suggest one from Stan w a seiko movement in it. I actually bought the schumi from him before getting a modded 7750 from another forum . And for a quarter of the price it's great (thought I'd sell it but instead it sits next to my other in the box) no problems w that or any worries (not as accurate but awesome looking just the same)

Bull05

20/10/15
Xswapper5, who's Stan? Is this one of the TD's? Got it it's WBK...I will contact him and see what AP with Seiko I could get...Thanks