• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Speedy, Snoopy and Dark Side comparo

jccab

Horology Curious
23/6/15
I have three Speedmasters in my collection; Speedy Pro, Snoopy Silver Award and a Dark Side of the Moon reps - all quartz models.
I sourced the Speedy from a local dealer, the Snoopy from narikaa and DSOTM from aliexpress.

I just want to share what I found after getting the caliper out and comparing vital statistics.

22284600242_9b609705a1_b.jpg

all dimensions in mm.Speedy ProSnoopyDSOTM
diameter w/ crown43.548.248.5
case diameter4246.546.7
Bezel39.544
44​
thickness15.5
15.3​
16.9​
Lug size202222
Dial diameter32.5
35​
no data​
CrystalPerspex
Glass​
Glass​

I thought I can swap the internals of the Snoopy into the Speedy pro's case but it was a no-go. It looks like they decided to use the 44mm case to keep the proportions of the gen Snoopy by upscaling the rep dial dimensions. The finishing and workmanship is really great same as the DSOTM.
I don't like both Snoopy and DSOTM crystals, there appears to be a metal ring in between the crystal itself and the watch case, if anyone can point me to the right direction where to source proper crystals for these two reps then I would be happy camper.

The DOSTM 3o'clock sub dial is faux, it does move but the two hands and permanently attached to each other but synchronized with the main hour hand. The number markers for the 3 o'clock subdial are in 24 hr instead of 12hr markers. The 9 o'clock subdial works as a minute counter for the chrono function. There is no ticking second hand.

The speedy pro have a few tooling marks on the case which looks fine I guess when the rep NASA velcro strap is installed. The date window is an obvious tell but at least it's more practical than a gen Speedy and the date is suttle enough to not be noticed at first glance.

It's really a shame as I really really like the Snoopy but being out of scale makes it a real bummer. In any case like all reps no one can notice those details when worn on the wrist.

It's this image that my hope was painfully crushed.
22308052931_70c6510415_b.jpg

A few more images to share
22297481885_821d0c551f_b.jpg

22308043391_dc21bb71a2_b.jpg

22109780448_a0fe18537a_b.jpg

Left crown - Snoopy
Right Crown - Speedy Pro

Zulu44gmt

3/7/15
I have the same snoopy watch and also a st19 based speedy.
I replaced the st19 speedy with the omega hesilite 34mm crystal.
i also got a 34mm stern hw crystal from cousins for the snoopy...
Too small. On the snoopy the crystal it measured 34.1 however there is a very thick white gasket sandwiched between that metal ring and the crystal that blends in and is not noticeable.
the opening on the snoopy with no crystal and gasket is 34.7mm
i have on order- should be here in next few days a 34.6 and 34.8 crystal to try.

jccab

Horology Curious
23/6/15
Thanks, looking forward to your update on the crystal sizing.

Cheers,

Charlie

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
thansk guys this post it's a time and money saver.

Rotador

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/14
Good comparison. Thank you for posting it, jccab.

The snoopy edition is interesting.

Topper7788

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/7/15
Just got my Snoopy, really thought before I got it I would end up doing a catch and release, but the watch really looks good in person.. not sure when I will wear it, but I guess it is a keeper...

Good comparison. Thank you for posting it, jccab.

The snoopy edition is interesting.

BigBoo

28/6/15
Thanks, looking forward to your update on the crystal sizing.

Cheers,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

May I ask how you removed the back from the Snoopy? it would appear there are no recesses to house the usual back removal tool! - does it just pop off?

Also, how does the crown come out?

BigBoo

28/6/15
I have the same snoopy watch and also a st19 based speedy.
I replaced the st19 speedy with the omega hesilite 34mm crystal.
i also got a 34mm stern hw crystal from cousins for the snoopy...
Too small. On the snoopy the crystal it measured 34.1 however there is a very thick white gasket sandwiched between that metal ring and the crystal that blends in and is not noticeable.
the opening on the snoopy with no crystal and gasket is 34.7mm

i have on order- should be here in next few days a 34.6 and 34.8 crystal to try.

Hi Zulu44gmt,
Any luck with the crystal update?

jccab

Horology Curious
23/6/15
I got info regarding crystal sizing

Zulu44gmt said:
jccab said:
Hello,

Have you found the proper crystal size for your snoopy speedy?

Thanks,

Charlie

I ended up with Sternkreuz HW 34.6 no gasket and glued. the 34.8 just wouldn't go. looks gen- i have the gen 34mm hesilite on another speedy- can't tell the difference.- taking apart is easy- you'll need some kind of press to get the back- back on.

jccab

Horology Curious
23/6/15
It is a pop off back case. there is a notch behind the 11 0'clock index or its at 1 0'clock position when viewing the back.

Hi Charlie,

May I ask how you removed the back from the Snoopy? it would appear there are no recesses to house the usual back removal tool! - does it just pop off?

Also, how does the crown come out?

BigBoo

28/6/15
It is a pop off back case. there is a notch behind the 11 0'clock index or its at 1 0'clock position when viewing the back.

Brilliant, many thanks - Just waiting for my Snoopy to arrive now and then I have a plan :thumbup:
How does the crown come out Charlie? is there a push button or screw somewhere?

jccab

Horology Curious
23/6/15
There is a hole with an arrow and the word push beside it on the movement itself. A bracelet pin removal punch will help.

Have good one,

Charlie

Zulu44gmt

3/7/15
The indentation notch is very small mine is right below the word "on". Make sure you have a press to get the back, back on first though.
I worked my way around with a sharp blade then used a caseback knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBoo

28/6/15
The indentation notch is very small mine is right below the word "on". Make sure you have a press to get the back, back on first though.
I worked my way around with a sharp blade then used a caseback knife.

Many thanks indeed for the info Zulu44gmt :punk: The crystal looks brilliant - wish I had these skills, I'm a complete noob! :blush: but I'm determined to have a go at taking it apart when it arrives, mind you, even if I manage to get it back together it will probably never work again!
One other question: How should i deal with the pushers? must they be removed as well before the movement can be taken out?

Zulu44gmt

3/7/15
The pushers stay in the case. They are exactly that, "pusher" buttons. Not attached to anything. They won't be an issue. Only crown stem and movement ring get removed ( and movement) Crystal will push out with thumbs. Gasket can be removed with toothpick. A bead of gs cement around Rim/seat and the new crystal. Clean up excessive glue with alcohol. Clean insides and reassemble. I had to use a 20t shop press, some large sockets, towels and lot of luck to reseat the case back. Thumbs wern't strong enough. Could have gone real bad... Going to buy a real case press... My wife loves this watch, it is a fun piece to wear.

jccab

Horology Curious
23/6/15
Zulu44gmt, I notice on your snoopy the silver metal ring around the crystal is still on your watch after crystal/plexi replacement. Is the metal ring part of the case? Or is it some sort of a spacer that can be removed and a larger diameter crystal be placed.
289ff340b8a803b443bb0f4e4bd12deb.jpg
544de482d7fbe58ad350cb62ebde80db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

pearl

29/4/13
I've got one of these on it's way. Can someone please tell me the subdial functions. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk