• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Some reflections on a small 6.5 wrist and Pam sizes.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Hello people!

After reading and educating myself through a full month and many trips to the AD to try on the gens I have said I learnt this:

Even though my wrist is 6.5 inches:

1. 40mm Pams (i.e 048) are way too small, even for me.

2. 42mm Radiomir cases look good (337 an 338) but are not that much on the Panerai spirit because the wire lugs and lack of CG make it look smaller than a 42mm Luminor case with full case lugs and the big CG.
**A special mention is for the 42mm Radiomir Pam 512, being manual and not automatic makes it thinner, flusher on the wrist, has non-wire lugs thus wear a tad bigger than the 337/338. Only "issue" for me is I rather have the greener lume than the "golden" one this one has.

3. 45mm cases definitively not only look too big on me (I could grow used to their looks) BUT they also are not comfortable to wear in the long term because their bigger base doesn't rest flush with the wrist skin and thus are moving around and hurting the wrist bone.

4. A black ceramic 45mm case like the Pam 384 can wear pretty good! and not massive at all on my wrist because of the black color.

5. Any 44mm WHITE luminor Marina would wear a lot bigger because of the color.
**Any non white 44mm Luminor like the Pam 000 are still wearable functionally (they don't hurt wrist) but one with a 6.5 inch wrist will have to slowly get used to it's looks. 45 and up are NOT functional/aesthetic looking for me.

6. The best size for a 6.5 (IMHO) is a 42mm case Luminor, because the lugs and CG move it towards the 44mm territory and thus appears to me to wear ideally aesthetically and functionally wise. They keep the Panerai shock factor on the size, and they don't look laughable and don't hurt the wrist.

7. The only good rep on this size and case I have found so far is Pam 392 and 535, and this last one being WAY above in quality. After reading on all forums, guides, reviews, I concluded the ZF (even better than the KW/V6F) is the better rep nowadays, it has the flush cannon pinion, the more correct spacing in the logo and the more correct color in the lume. The case appears to come in imitation titanium which is wrong (thus its brushed SS) but I hope they correct this in future releases.

Mysterio did a mini review here, and in the end it seemed no one knew were this rep came from (factory - wise):
https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...T-Automatic-%96-42MM-quot?highlight=pam%20535

After going through the pictures and looking online I can say its NOT from KW/V6F but from ZF! the logo, brushed (wrong) SS case, color and CP are identical, even the strap!

http://www.puretime.watch/product/p...-gray-asso-strap-p9001-free-brown-asso-strap/

So next step for me will be buying this from Ryan and asking if he can source me the polished case version for this same model. If Ryan can't get the polished SS case for the ZF 5353 I will get the brushed case and have it polished in a local Machining shop. THEN I will post a non-expert review =D

I hope I can help someone with this information.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
I have a 6.75 wrist and the 45mm Radiomir IMO is perfect on me...

6.75 > 6.5. With that said it also depends upon the flatness of the top of the wrist. 44mm would be the upper limit for a 6.5 IMHO

nutscape

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/8/14
Hi, what about the 46mm 605 on 6,75 ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Monet333

27/8/15
Gen strap has stitches going vertical and horizontal like KW while ZF only goes vertical

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Hi, what about the 46mm 605 on 6,75 ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Only sure way to know is going to an AD and try it... I derived this information from 3 trips to different ADs on different days and trying a lot of sizes and models and taking a lot of pictures to compare at home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks jonathanw for your comments

Your considerations will be valid and usueful for many people.

But this subject is always a taste matter. Due to that, many persons could disagree about your comments
I my opinion 45mm Radiomir cases wear less than Luminor 44mm Bettarini and way less than Luminor 1950. Therefore 45mm Radiomir can be comfortable and pleasant for little wrist

Regarding PAM 535, there is a nice version from KW-V6Fac

http://puretime.watch/product/pam53...hobnails-dial-on-deep-brown-asso-strap-p9001/
http://www.tswatchltd.com/16244-pa16244-pam535-q-v6f-titanium-1-1-best-p9001.html
http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1388
http://www.intime.co/panerai/1871-p...ails-dial-on-deep-brown-asso-strap-p9001.html
http://www.ttw8888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=352&products_id=12951

ALE

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Ale:

Sir, yes its a taste matter and the size growing on you with enough time, but its also IMHO a functional matter and a practical matter, why? the taller cases and wider cases are not flush and stable with a smaller surface of a smaller wrist, thus they move around, and with some hours it hurts a little. Also if the lugs extend beyondd the wrist and the watch is tall and heavy it tends to move towards one or the other side and the case gets scratched more easily.

About the Radiomir cases, yes they wear smaller indeed, and more the black ones! on my AD testing observations these don't have the classic "horned" lugs extending from the case but the wire lugs, these subtracts vertical size, also the lack of the arched crown guard subtracts horizontal width and the fact that the case is way thinner than the regular Luminors make it even more wearable as its not as tall or thick over the wrist, thus more comfortable and stable for smaller wrists.

On the 535 I have found IMHO the ZF version to be even better than the KW/V6F, except for the bad flaw that its made of brushed steel instead of polished, but I compared pictures of the gen I took at the AD with pictures of ZF and V6F/KW vPam 535s and the ZF has the flushed CP per gen, KW/V6F has recessed CP not gen like, the ZF has more accurate spacing in the logo and better accurate font color and that gen like faint green lume... If only ZF made this as a polished SS case it COULD maybe attain a better rep status maybe bordering on high grade. I tried to get a polished SS Case ZF 535 from many TDs now and all have replied it cannot be done.

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
I had a 372 (47mm) for my flat 6.7" wrist, it was the max I could take imho...

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
It is really how comfortable you are wearing the watch. I have a smallish wrist but I have no qualms wearing 47mm PAMs. The EGI would probably be off limits for me, but I haven't tried it yet. Who knows? :lol:

Netbis71

15/4/15
It is all about how comfortable you feel, try something like 44mm black case luminor 360 and nice soft 4-5mm strap nubuck or buffalo, it will form nicely around your wrist and maybe fit more comfortable. you should have no problem with 44mm cases, as pam supposed to wear slightly over sized. I have 7' flat wrist and my 47mm 372 lug to lug is 2.25' in. this is max what I would wear now, so for you any luminor 44mm case should look nice certainly in black as it will look even more slim.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Yes, I have a "rule of thumb" as long as the case lugs don't extend beyond your wrist horizontal surface length then it will be fine. Why? because if these lugs extend beyond the mentioned wrist measure, the watch case will be banging around objects more frequently and will deteriorate faster.

jetlau3

6/10/13
Small wrist here and have both 42 (Rad 183), 47 (217), and 44s ... size is preference but PAMs are meant to be large

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Yes, I have a "rule of thumb" as long as the case lugs don't extend beyond your wrist horizontal surface length then it will be fine. Why? because if these lugs extend beyond the mentioned wrist measure, the watch case will be banging around objects more frequently and will deteriorate faster.

Not sure bout your rule of thumb but the lugs on the 47mm PAMs extend beyond the flat surface of my wrist and don't hit anything. Unless you walk with your arms flailing all over the place. :lol:

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Not sure bout your rule of thumb but the lugs on the 47mm PAMs extend beyond the flat surface of my wrist and don't hit anything. Unless you walk with your arms flailing all over the place. :lol:

Haha! I meant for example with desk work, it's more likely to hit around stuff and objects, I also read this on Gen Pam forums. But it's also a matter of personal taste , maybe someone could wear a 55 or even a 60mm watch and "get used to the size". It's likely an objective vs subjective issue..

Screen%2520Shot%25202015-11-09%2520at%25209.21.03%2520PM_zps8kzr3jio.png

What do you think of this watch on this wrist? I personally thing it looks ridiculous and laughable, but Im sure many veteran pam users will say it looks fine, so when is too big actually too big?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Haha! I meant for example with desk work, it's more likely to hit around stuff and objects, I also read this on Gen Pam forums. But it's also a matter of personal taste , maybe someone could wear a 55 or even a 60mm watch and "get used to the size". It's likely an objective vs subjective issue..

What do you think of this watch on this wrist? I personally thing it looks ridiculous and laughable, but Im sure many veteran pam users will say it looks fine, so when is too big actually too big?

When it's the size of your closed fist, I think it's too big. :lol:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11

Where is the wrist ?

ALE

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
To wear a 60 mm pam 341 Egiziano like this, one would have to have the thick hands, wide wrists and massive forearms of Sylvester stallone :

Sylvester_Stallone-Panerai-PAM341-Radiomir-Egiziano_zpszj7dnd4i.jpg

Dimitriii

21/7/10
Thanks. Have small wrists, so good info

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1039 met Tapatalk