• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breaking Barriers: The Nautilus Versus The Royal Oak

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
So if you are a dress watch nut like me, you most likely would have considered either the nautilus and royal oak to be part of your collection.
Sad to say, I have never picked up the royal oak due to my affection for patek and growing interest in ALS.
But the recent JF release might swing my pockets :)

original.jpg

I just stumbled upon this great review and article about the history of the expensive stainless steel watches.
http://www.fratellowatches.com/patek-philippe-nautilus-versus-audemars-piguet-royal-oak/

In a nutshell:
1. Both watches were designed by the same guy (Charles Gerald Genta), who remained anonymous early in his career
2. The Royal Oak was considered a crazy timepiece when it was released in 1970s where super thin watches in precious metals were coveted.
3. The Royal Oak was introduced 4 years before Patek introduced the Nautilus
4. Audemar Piguet used JLC's movement in the early models of the Royal Oak
5. The early Natilus based their early movements on JLC as well

I'm pretty sure older members might have already known about the history behind these watches, this article gives great comparison photos, something to covet by :)

Cristobal

Renowned Member
10/6/15
I read that article a while back and it is a really good read and very educational.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Very good read mate, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
I wouldn't call a $19,000 watch a sports watch... Although they definitely tried to portray it that way...

bobkat

6/7/12
These are most definitely not dress watches. Thanks for the article. Nice read.

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
These are most definitely not dress watches. Thanks for the article. Nice read.

Not sure I would agree, the nautilus on a leather strap can definitely pass as a dress watch.

The royal oak not as much, but it definitely has a dressier feel to it. They're both very classy watches IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jembediah

Renowned Member
20/5/14
i think the AP RO is better on leather while PP nautilus is better on ss bracelet ;)

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
To each his own ;)

The true dress watch belongs to the leagues of Calatravas, Reversos and ALS...
The Nautilus and Royal Oak can easily pass off as a dress watch in today's context as well...

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
In the US, today, any watch in the $5k plus range is a dress watch (maybe even $1k plus) for 96% of the population. Maybe not the upper 4%, but my buddy wears his Rollie LV as his dress watch, and he is a high level executive in the Midwest by way of Canada. He loves his Rolex but won't wear it all the time like I wear my reps.

When it comes to AP or PP, in any regard, I think they can be seen as a dress watch. I don't think many people today think about watches the way we do. Hell I have seen guys with Apple Watches in three piece suits at high level events. I wouldn't consider an Apple watch a dress watch, but I think we are the few who truly love watches overall and have a stricter classification for them. Maybe it is different in NYC or SF etc. and elsewhere in the world.

Now on to the most important question, what is the best watch to wear into the Strip Club??? LMAFO!!! :laughing:

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
^ depends on what kind of attention you want :)

Champagne iH

4/1/14
I just can't feel the same amount of love for the Nautilus as I do for the AP RO. As reps go it's easy to see the differences in the case back rotors and the bracelet itself. I think the rep 15400 is very nice and easily a dress or sports watch depending on what you consider sport. Fancy a game of cards as sport?

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

porsche356

Known Member
23/11/07
I could be into a quartz Royal Oak set up like the early ones w/a solid back.
Sadly every rep version I've seen doesn't have a dial like the Gens do...

mark3

Renowned Member
27/7/14
Most stories is just marketing BS. would you really wear a SS ROO Chrono to go play basketball?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G901F met Tapatalk

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Most stories is just marketing BS. would you really wear a SS ROO Chrono to go play basketball?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G901F met Tapatalk
i've seen people wearing their gen ROOs while fixing up their mechanical sports cars... it depends on the individual i guess

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I was surprised to learn the ROO predates the Nautilus, I'd always assumed the former was a "copy" of the latter even though I knew the same guy designed them.

The PP clinches it for me, I liked the look of both, tried both Gens on and the AP was too "in your face" for a dressier watch in my eyes. I got a 21j Nautilus and want a better rep, but am not convinced by either of the current top tier offerings at the moment...

Maybe I'll look at ROOs again, but the flat on the crown would have to sit parallel with the crystal to soothe my OCD!

cmoray

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/13
I am a bigfer fan of blue Nautilus but we need a better rep of it for sure. I really cannot stand the wrong dial on the reps.

repvar

2/4/15
I had a Nautilius(a SW200 version), honestly the watch is just boring, it just doesn't have any presence. The AP Diver looks like an expensive watch, the Nautilius looks like a $20 Casio.

Plus I hated that on the reps you can't even change out the bracelet for a strap(not sure if you can change the strap on the strap versions, but I'm guessing that's a no too)...well you can but you need a press and it's a complicated procedure that you need a whole mechanic's shop just to get through it

The AP Diver on the other hand, just looks special and different from most watches out there