• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stripping off the PVD coating back to base metal on a cheap B&R

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Well, today my cheap Ali B&R arrived.....I love the shape of these olf style WWI type pieces and the only one that i could find was PVD...yuk!

So on my way home i picked up a bottle of "Spirits Of Salts" which is 25% Hydrochloric acid.

Before we go any further you MUST be careful with this stuff...it is pure evil!

Gloves and goggles /glasses are a must.

Anyway, this is what it looked like before....strap removed.
20151021_190924_zps3mfyrox2.jpg

20151021_190914_zpsaatrihdn.jpg

so, I don't have a crystal press so that had to stay in there...i coated the case in the acid (which is not that easy as it isn't thick enough to sit on that shiny PVD coating)
If i do this again...i will scratch that surface before applying the acid as i notied that where i had scratched it...the acid kicked in a lot quicker...

I left the acid on for about an hour or so (I have read somewhere that about 4 hours and it comes right off) but i am an impatient bugger....so i scraped it off with some scissors and then gave it a rub with one of those soft sandpaper blocks.

The whole process only took about 2.5 hours including rubbing scraping and putting it back together...you see, i was just seeing how easy it was to get that coating off.

anyways, I am really really happy with the result in such a short time.....I will probably re-visit this again and lume the hands and some of the markers as this is a very cheap watch from Ali Express (i think about $40 or so) and there is no lume...just yellow paint.

The strap is crap, the hour looks like it will flip over at about 11:30, but i really like the look. Oh yeah the crown looks like it is brass as well...it's certainly not stainless...it's a sort of reddish colour.

Anyway here's the result so far......really rushed brushing down with the sand paper.....after all this is how i like the look.

20151021_222257_zpswdnfvwpx.jpg

20151021_222457_zpsprypfbhk.jpg

20151021_222405_zpshis2yafa.jpg

20151021_222308_zpsc2fh8i50.jpg

So there you have it....a little stripping for a Wednesday evening....

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Now it really looks vintage, good job. ;) I love those aviation typr quartz movemeni watches. :lol:

Ciocc60

Known Member
24/3/13
Nice job. Where did you get the watch to begin with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Nice! Looks very vintage.

Maybe sand that strap down or use a wire brush and soak in some oil.