• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1st time shipping to China

tagthis

9/2/15
I will be shipping a watch to China for the first time for warranty purposes. Other than the address, I did not get any specific instruction from TD. Anything I should watch out before sending my watch that way?

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Yes. It might be more advisable to get this fixed by a watchsmith on your continent. This watch will have to go through customs four times. Sounds risky to me, unless the transport is guaranteed by the dealer.

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
You will also be waiting months to get it back, if you ever do actually get it back.

D

d4m.test

Tracked shipping is a must as is to declare it as low cost men´s jewellery, so it passes Chinese customs (and it´s not insured).

Did it just arrive? What watch is it? What´s the issue? Is the movement decorated? Some more detail could help, as sometimes it´s easier to have the TD ship some replacement part or really to have it fixed locally.

Negatives on Chinese fixes: while fixing one thing - they may damage something else (fingerprints, missing screw)
on other watches the fixes are really only temporary.

Kopcap

24/2/14
Never ever send back a REP to China : laws in China for REP items is really strict, and if your package is inspected by CN customs (and it will, believe me !) the watch will be destroyed.
Better find a good watchsmith and pay for it ; work will be better and faster !

tagthis

9/2/15
Tracked shipping is a must as is to declare it as low cost men´s jewellery, so it passes Chinese customs (and it´s not insured).

Did it just arrive? What watch is it? What´s the issue? Is the movement decorated? Some more detail could help, as sometimes it´s easier to have the TD ship some replacement part or really to have it fixed locally.

Negatives on Chinese fixes: while fixing one thing - they may damage something else (fingerprints, missing screw)
on other watches the fixes are really only temporary.
This is the watch.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/260095-Rotor-problems-on-my-TH-Carrera-1887

I've had it a little less than 3 months.

I am open for suggestions or recommendations to get it fixed here in CONUS.

JLS1963

Renowned Member
22/2/15
Katt is the man!! But he does not work on Chronographs.
Vac or Strodda are your best bets. Cost for Chronograph repair can reach $265
Good luck, but shipping back to China is incredibly risky. Send by tracked post, do not ship EMS or FedEx/UPS. If you do ship it back, declare value at $15, jewelery for repair.
Good luck

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
I once got lucky and shipped back a very nice Rolex 16610LV back to Lucy. It was dead on arrival. Just frozen stiff. I sent it back in a very flat padded medium manila envelope. Just the head as per Lucy's instructions. She got it in 3 weeks. I sent it via US Postal service registered and tracked. She sent me back a brand new [head only] of the same watch via EMS. All together, about a month and a half turnaround time. I guess I was lucky. Some were not so lucky with other things and other TDs. ............................... And that is simply because there are practically no watch smiths here in Los Angeles that like to work on Reps. The last time I asked, the guy [watch smith] chased me down the escalator of the Mall here. I got away good. I had my jogging shoes and shorts on. I have to wear a fake moustache every time I go to the same mall nowadays ........... That sucks.........

watchismo

31/7/13
SUMIKITO,
I'm in the same situation in Los Angeles. Cant find a watchsmith to work on my AP. They are all hack watch battery replacement shops (lots of bad yelp reviews) or high end guys who either wont work on reps or want to charge outrageous prices.

Desmosidici

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/10/15
Man...mine came in DOA as well here in Arcadia. Dont really want to send it back.
Who has a watchsmith for LA area?

Desmosidici

22/10/15
issue resolved. Emailed TD and told me to shake it more aggressively. continous shaking with intent for 3 minutes and the watch started to go. Phew!!

tagthis

9/2/15
issue resolved. Emailed TD and told me to shake it more aggressively. continous shaking with intent for 3 minutes and the watch started to go. Phew!!
This is not normal. What now? Is something you will always have to do after the watch has not been used for days?

Desmosidici

22/10/15
I was thinking of that as well. I have yet to find out cause I can't seem to take it off my wrist not because I'm afraid that the PR would die out but because it's just a thing of beauty.
Scottb57 had great tips and input so I'll keep those advise in my armory if ever it happens again. Crossing fingers .....and thanks again Scott.