• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tried Something Fun and Simple on a Rainy Day. (DIY with Pics)

yoyohoneysingh

22/4/14
I picked up Gold theme AP ROO from the recent noob sale that was going on. The watch is awesome, but the rep strap is so awful. It cracked first time i bent it and overall was very poorly made. I ordered a new strap and in the process of waiting for it to arrive.

Today was a rainy day and I dint have much work to do, so thought I would do some research on taking that super shiny-ness off the rep strap. While searching for that, i found out that you could use Acrylic Paint on leather and apparently its very durable. I was gonna throw the rep strap away after i got the new strap anyway due to the cracks everywhere like on an old sofa.To start off, this is how the strap looked before. Its super shiny and has yellow stitching which i am not a real fan off.

IMG_1547%2525208.PNG

I used Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint (Jet Black). Costed me 50cents at walmart.

Step 1: Taped the watch up and Sanded the strap with super fine sand paper

Step 2: Took a brush and painted the strap. Waited barely a minute before coats, since i used the heat gun to speed up drying process.

Step 3: Put the last coat and let it dry overnight.

Pic while drying.

IMG_1531%2525205.JPG

IMG_1533%2525205.JPG

Next Morning, I noticed it was matte as i wanted but a bit too much, where it looked almost faded, so I took some leather conditioner and applied on to the strap. Waited a bit and wiped it off with a microfiber. This gave it a little sheen, where it looked like a quality application and not an inexperienced DIY :punk:

This is the final product. Pictures actually do not do it justice, it looks even better in real.

IMG_1538-1%2525202.JPG

IMG_1539-1.JPG

IMG_1541%2525205.JPG

In the day light outside

IMG_1544-1%2525205.JPG

IMG_1545-1%2525208.JPG

Not bad for 50cents i must say. I am actually pleased with the results, because I thought I was going to just ruin the strap and that would be the end of it.
It actually came out to my liking. I was picturing Hublot rubber gummy strap sort of a finish, and it came out exactly like that. The paint also hid the cracking and since it was self leveling, no brush strokes are visible. Overall it gave this strap a very nice look.

I know, quite a few of you don't like the rep strap from the APs, so maybe this is something you could give a try.
I have not seen this done to a watch strap before, so I thought I would share my experience with you guys and see what you think. Let me know how you guys like the result.

TheSociety

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
It's a fun DIY for sure but the other beef I have with the noob straps is that it's super thin for such a heavy duty watch. It's a tell tell sign it's fake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yoyohoneysingh

22/4/14
It's a fun DIY for sure but the other beef I have with the noob straps is that it's super thin for such a heavy duty watch. It's a tell tell sign it's fake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea totally agreed! The proportion of strap to watch is off, Its the same with some Panerais too. I feel these watches need to come with nice thick straps to make them feel right, as you said.

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
Not having the straps on my hands to have a 'proper' look at them, I have to say that the gummy finish seems to be perfect!! I love the looks of matte croc straps!

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
Do you have plans to change the buckle with deployment clasp? May I know where did you order the replacement from? I am planning to buy this model too from JF...

yoyohoneysingh

22/4/14
Not having the straps on my hands to have a 'proper' look at them, I have to say that the gummy finish seems to be perfect!! I love the looks of matte croc straps!

Yes! it came out very close, i had Hublot ceramic all black with gummy strap and this looks 99% same.

yoyohoneysingh

22/4/14
Do you have plans to change the buckle with deployment clasp? May I know where did you order the replacement from? I am planning to buy this model too from JF...

I do want to change it down the line, but i had problem with deployment on hublot pressing against my skin and after a long day created a discomfort. Thats the main reason i sold my hublot, i have read similar with AP buckles as well, but i will try it out in future.

and for the second part, I am assuming you are talking about the replacement strap. For that I placed order in etsy of all places, i liked the price and the quality looked good in pics. I just bought the low priced strap now to have it temporary, since i plan to order custom safiano from our strapmaker here soon.

designerpickups

16/10/13
Looks great! Let us know if the paint stays on over time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

MADRED7

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/11
WOW ... a great outcome this is. All rep-straps look better when the shine is removed and the plasticky-look is gone.
Thx for sharing

Dr. Theo

yoyohoneysingh

22/4/14
Looks great! Let us know if the paint stays on over time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thank You! Apparantley it is very durable, i have watches videos on youtube where they have it on leather jackets so i am sure it will hold up, but i will do an update as well.

yoyohoneysingh

22/4/14
WOW ... a great outcome this is. All rep-straps look better when the shine is removed and the plasticky-look is gone.
Thx for sharing

Dr. Theo

Thank you! yea as soon as the shine is removed, the overall watch also looked so much classier and elegant.

umblackbear359

28/4/15
definitely trying this. Is the rep strap real leather? I have often wondered if there was a way to trip the shine off and improve the finish on the leather. Now I can experiment knowing that if I really f things up, I can always do this as a cover-up.

yoyohoneysingh

22/4/14
definitely trying this. Is the rep strap real leather? I have often wondered if there was a way to trip the shine off and improve the finish on the leather. Now I can experiment knowing that if I really f things up, I can always do this as a cover-up.

I dont think rep strap is real leather, i had a small crack on the strap which appeared just for bending the strap to wear it the first time. There was some sort of material that came out, looked like stuffing and exterior at-least resembled of cotton strands as far as i can explain it. its now covered with the paint, and doesnt crack anymore, so thats a thumbs up!

yoyohoneysingh

22/4/14
Update Of Condition:

Been wearing the watch as much as i can since the mod. The leather seems to be holding up great.

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

ROLEX1675UAE

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
6/10/15
I like a lot this improvement for JF strap, i will give a try on mine soon! Thanks for sharing this helpful DYI :)