• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Waterproofing a Rep possible?

telhws84

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/15
Hi, I know most replicas are not guarenteed to be waterproof but was wondering if there are ways/methods of making a watch waterproof even if it's to a max depth of e.g 6ft?

what people don't know doesn't hurt them as they say but imagine wearing your rolex submariner rep on holiday by the pool and the bloke you've become chatty with jumps in with his gen rolex Submariner but you have to take yours off!!! Oops

Out will have to come the truth!!!

D

d4m.test

Hi, 80% of the divers are easy to get watertight with just an caseback o-ring greaser and caseback tightener (Huaxing from ebay for $20). Some silicon grease on the caseback o-ring, on and around the crown-gasket and You´re good.
(One step further inside the crown-tube after releasing the stem but normally not necessary).

The remaining 20% may leak through the HE-Valve, through the crystal, just everywhere because of dents in the metal or missing gaskets etc. and all can be fixed but that´s going too far already.

On purchase buy according to wp-rating (check on several TD sites the same watch if it has any) - if it hasn´t, skip it.
Than have fun:)
IMG_5510c_zpstxdfrtx1.jpg

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
Yes, I have done this to Noob V5 LV and tested it for a good week in the surf - no problems. Tested first at high street watch mender -£9.

Discigerous

Renowned Member
29/9/15
Great, considering the amount of time I spend around water it would be nice not having to worry that my watch would not hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dorsen

Known Member
28/9/15
I've noticed a lot of watches on puretime say WR >50m - how accurate is this?

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I've noticed a lot of watches on puretime say WR >50m - how accurate is this?

I bought a JF Daytona from Puretime ... QC pics showed the watch BEING TESTED on a sophisticated water tester, and arrived with the water testing documentation .. I have been in the water with it all summer, no issues ....

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Actually, 'waterproofing' isn't tested with just swimming with a watch. Alone greasing of O rings and stuff will keep water out when swimming, showering etc.
You need waterproofing for diving and stuff that involve the watch get down deeper than regular swimming.

FLWatchGuy

Renowned Member
Supporter
22/3/15
Hi, 80% of the divers are easy to get watertight with just an caseback o-ring greaser and caseback tightener (Huaxing from ebay for $20). Some silicon grease on the caseback o-ring, on and around the crown-gasket and You´re good.
(One step further inside the crown-tube after releasing the stem but normally not necessary).

I've done this with 2 Rolex and a Pam 187 - I just greased the back gasket and the inside & out of the crown tube and had no problems with them in the pools all summer.

jacq

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/10/15
Agreed I don't think I'd go to the water with my rep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
I would never dive with a replica. There are inexpensive Seikos that were built for that purpose.