• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it still considered a rep if you use all gen parts?

festivefuit

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/8/15
Let's say I find the appropriate Models of gen parts for a watch and assemble it myself, is the watch now considered Genuine because it has all the appropriate gen parts? Or is it still considered a Replica? Or is there another name for it?

darkelfx

Known Member
11/9/15
Or a "Franken" watch, which is what it'll be. If you are capable of replacing every single part on the watch (almost impossible), then yes I suppose it would be genuine. But your craftsmanship vs a watchmaker doing it for the past 10+ years, you'll be off, even if you assemble the watch using all gen parts. Plus, the costs + labor (your time) to assemble the watch will bring the cost up to close to the gen watch you can buy at an AD.

D

d4m.test

It would still be considered a Franken.

Some look absolutely amazing and there are several examples on rwi of all gen watches except the caseset. It´s a way to go for otherwise unaffordable vintage gens You always wanted to have and are going to keep forever. Doesn´t make too much sense to me for modern watches.

darkelfx

Known Member
11/9/15
It would still be considered a Franken.

Some look absolutely amazing and there are several examples on rwi of all gen watches except the caseset. It´s a way to go for otherwise unaffordable vintage gens You always wanted to have and are going to keep forever. Doesn´t make too much sense to me for modern watches.

But if you replaced the case set with a genuine one, would it still be franken? I think if you were able to acquire all the genuine parts to assemble the watch from scratch, it would be considered a gen, even though it wasn't made by a genuine watch maker.

Ubpfc

Renowned Member
2/5/14
United States
If every part is gen for that model then it's a gen. If just the case is rep (or 1 or 2 parts) then its a super franken.

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
Just like in the paradox [MENTION=82927]Ubpfc[/MENTION] or I mentioned, one way to answer the question, is to define what the object in question is.

For myself, and maybe some others as well, a gen is only a gen if it not only has all gen parts, but was also assembled in the gen factory with a unique serial for that particular gen watch. If it's made up of gen parts (even 100% of them being gen), I would still consider it a super franken, albeit a really impressive one

I think I may have seen an example of it on the boards once, it was an IWC from memory with gen movement, case, dial, hands, crown and pushers. I don't remember what, if any of the watch was rep

umaso

Renowned Member
28/6/14
I think some factories can use serial numbers and such to determine if the movement has been replaced. If not, then I guess you can call it a gen. Just have to make sure it's all correct for the time period and in some cases even matching years would be important. If there's any way to tell its been pieced together, I think you'd still have to call it a franken.

D

d4m.test

Just like in the paradox @Ubpfc or I mentioned, one way to answer the question, is to define what the object in question is.

For myself, and maybe some others as well, a gen is only a gen if it not only has all gen parts, but was also assembled in the gen factory with a unique serial for that particular gen watch. If it's made up of gen parts (even 100% of them being gen), I would still consider it a super franken, albeit a really impressive one

I think I may have seen an example of it on the boards once, it was an IWC from memory with gen movement, case, dial, hands, crown and pushers. I don't remember what, if any of the watch was rep

Very good explanation with the "paradoxical difference". This would be my point of view as well.

Fiveostang

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/11/12
Just like in the paradox [MENTION=82927]Ubpfc[/MENTION] or I mentioned, one way to answer the question, is to define what the object in question is.

Was this a sleven or a 3714? I think I remember a watch like that as well.

joe_chill

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/12
All gen parts, of course it has to be considered gen, but not original and with "matching numbers". Probably more expensive though.

Replica = a more or less exact reproduction
Franken = gen and rep parts
Gen original = same as factory when new

es-watch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/9/15
All gen parts, of course it has to be considered gen, but not original and with "matching numbers". Probably more expensive though.

Replica = a more or less exact reproduction
Franken = gen and rep parts
Gen original = same as factory when new

Strongly disagree with your original assessment. Gen is an OEM-assembled watch. Watches aren't just about the parts, but also just as important is the build quality. In all honestly, you would have to call it a frankenwatch. If you really wanted to stretch it, you could call it "professionally refurbished", but calling it gen would be disingenuous. (no pun intended).

AGL

Renowned Member
7/6/11
Isn't there a law or something in Italy that if more than 50% of the replica product is genuine parts then it is considered a genuine product?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Strongly disagree with your original assessment. Gen is an OEM-assembled watch. Watches aren't just about the parts, but also just as important is the build quality. In all honestly, you would have to call it a frankenwatch. If you really wanted to stretch it, you could call it "professionally refurbished", but calling it gen would be disingenuous. (no pun intended).

Strongly disagree with you disagreement. Of course, it's all a matter of semantics but in any other endeavor such as vintage auto restorations, vintage furniture, vintage restorations of most anything, it takes a lot more than a replacement part to make an item "not genuine". Especially if all the parts are made by the original manufacturer.

In your mind I assume if you bought a brand new Rolex Datejust or Submariner and put on a aftermarket yet originally gen jewelled dial, it would no longer be considered gen but now it's a rep? I don't think so.

I bet I've seen this same thread at least 15 times since I've been on these watch forums and nobody has ever had a conclusion. But I'll still play the game.

JoeyT

11/8/14
So I have one of these watches described as super franken. My 16613 has only 2 rep parts on the whole watch. The case and clasp. I consider it a rep but if I was to find a case and clasp then I would consider it a gen. The question here that nobody has brought up and I know is probably a forbidden topic on the forum is whether a Jeweler would consider a Franken a gen? If it has 100% gen parts then I'm sure a jewelry store could sell it as a pre owned gen. The only place on a Rolex with a serial number is on the case. So therefor if you get your hands on a gen case then nobody else has that exact serial so therefor it's a gen. (Obviously I wouldn't sell my super Franken to a jeweler regardless how many gen parts it has)

JoeyT

11/8/14
Look at the classic auto industry. Say you got a 68 Camaro SS and restored it with parts from another Camaro SS. It would still be a genuine Camaro SS but it's not worth as much as a matching numbers original Camaro SS. I guess we can place that same logic here.