• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MYSTERY

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Mystery as century-old Swiss watch discovered in ancient tomb sealed for 400 years

Archaeologists are stumped after finding a 100-year-old Swiss watch in an ancient tomb that was sealed more than 400 years ago.

They believed they were the first to visit the Ming dynasty grave in Shangsi, southern China, since its occupant's funeral.

But inside they uncovered a miniature watch in the shape of a ring marked 'Swiss' that is thought to be just a century old.
article-1096959-02D4C469000005DC-328_468x299.jpg

Mystery: Archeologists have uncovered a 100-year-old watch in a tomb believed to have been undisturbed for 400 years

The mysterious timepiece was encrusted in mud and rock and had stopped at 10:06 am.

Watches were not around at the time of the Ming Dynasty and Switzerland did not even exist as a country, an expert pointed out.
The archaeologists were filming a documentary with two journalists when they made the puzzling discovery.

'When we tried to remove the soil wrapped around the coffin, suddenly a piece of rock dropped off and hit the ground with metallic sound,' said Jiang Yanyu, former curator of the Guangxi Museum.

'We picked up the object, and found it was a ring.

'After removing the covering soil and examining it further, we were shocked to see it was a watch,' he added.

The Ming Dynasty - or the Empire of the Great Ming - was the was ruling dynasty in China from 1368 to 1644.

Read

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1096959/Mystery-century-old-Swiss-watch-discovered-ancient-tomb-sealed-400-years.html#ixzz3mKngWu00

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
That proves to you that our Trusted Dealers have been around a long, long time !! Maybe Trevor dug the hole, and Lucy dropped that in for good luck !!

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
enigmatic-ring-watch.jpg

Theories
There are many theories as to how a modern-looking Swiss ring with a watch face might have been discovered by Chinese archaeologists from a 400-year-old sealed tomb.
Some researchers cite the possibility of time travelers who came from the future and who dropped a modern ring in an ancient location, accidentally leaving their anachronistic possession behind. The evidence for this is scant, but it is an intriguing idea.
However, it is also within the realm of possibility that the so-called ‘sealed’ tomb was not as secure as the Chinese officials and archaeologists had presumed. Early tomb-raiders or explorers gaining access to the tombs secretly cannot be ruled out, although there are no reports on any of the ancient Chinese artifacts having suffered damage or theft—something which might be expected if the tomb was entered.
Still others comment that if the strange timepiece/jewelry had been dropped in the last century or so, a rodent might have taken it and burrowed into the tomb.

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
I'll believe in time travelers when they find an Apple watch in one of these tombs ;)

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Me personally, i believe the rodent theory........but its a fun read anyways !

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Me personally, i believe the rodent theory........but its a fun read anyways !
Exactly. 99.99% plausible that's what happened. Time travel back to that exact location, not so much.

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
They just haven't found the Cracker Jack box yet...

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
Which factory did it come from.....that's the real question, lol!!

wooky492

21/9/12
That was the high school prank i pulled a hundred years ago.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
I'll say this - if I had the ability to go back in time, I certainly would not waste my time going to some ancient tomb to plant a crappy Cracker Jack prize ring watch to play a practical joke on archeologists 400 years later.

No sir. I would go back and buy shares of stock in every major corporation at their initial startup, I would go to Vegas and place bets on every Super Bowl game, World Series, NHL Stanley Cup, Kentucky Derby, you name it. I would buy out every stainless steel Rolex at every AD I could find from the 1950s through the 1970s.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
I would definitely go back to the Al Capone vault, however, and play a joke on Geraldo Rivera. How hilarious would that have been if there was a note in there addressed to him, making fun of his total failure of a prime time TV special? I still remember watching that unfold live.