• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Automatic Winders

GrimesBo

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/8/15
Does anyone recommend getting automatic winders for watches? I do know that it's bad to have to keep manually wind the watch over and over again if it stops from non-wear. Or is this another myth as well... Just trying to get the most longevity out of these reps I bought. I saw some cheap price, decent quality Orbita winders on ebay for 90$ and was thinking of getting.

Marcuslen

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
1/5/13
Read around, but briefly these have clutches that disengage when fully wind.

JLS1963

Renowned Member
22/2/15
Does anyone recommend getting automatic winders for watches? I do know that it's bad to have to keep manually wind the watch over and over again if it stops from non-wear. Or is this another myth as well... Just trying to get the most longevity out of these reps I bought. I saw some cheap price, decent quality Orbita winders on ebay for 90$ and was thinking of getting.
Orbita makes some great winders. Just be sure the Ebay Seller is not selling you a Rep Orbita winder...Orbita's arent inexpensive and $90 is a great price...tread carefully as a single replacement pillow (just the pillow) for an Orbita winder is $45...

Mandreas

Renowned Member
9/11/14
Winders are really a personal preference.

My individual take on them is that they put undue persistent strain on the movements of watches, especially ones you don't wear in a regular rotation. Because of that view, I bought a nice Rainer watch box and called it good. (note; I've owned winders in the past, and still own 1 nice 3-slotter that I no longer use.)

This is the mantra I've sort of developed; Would leaving your car on permanently in the driveway make sense just for the convenience of not having to start it every time you want to drive? It puts unnecessary wear on the engine and shortens the life of the vehicle. Why people think that this sort of mentality makes sense for watches confuses me a little... ;P

To each their own!

If you still are looking to get a winder; check out acetimer.com. It's a well known resource a lot of people on the rep forums use and will have a much better "get-what-you-paid-for" reliability than ebay! :)

adamweby

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/8/12
CONUS
I got a new wolf winder and I love it! couldn't be happier

kampachi

Renowned Member
7/1/14
Well since this thread is up, any cheap watch winders out there that fits only 1-2 watches?

Sent from my Super Rep iPhone using Tapatalk.

Jeane123

6/4/15
I have a Belocia one (9watch) it was very reasonable on Amazon and works very well. I can vouch for their service, they fixed my issues very quickly. Their site is http://www.watchwinderboxes.com
And they have all types of winders.

GrimesBo

Banned
17/8/15
Well I appreciate all the input, I heard both pros and cons to having this winder. Also I heard it's bad not to keep the energy in the watch relative and current. Could this be different with reps and gens? This just strikes my curiosity, 400$-600$ a watch every few years isn't never bad if it comes down to that. Do reps need to be consistently wound or greased and serviced every 3 years like the gens do? Info is always very much appreciated!!! :D

P.S. Yes the Orbita is in decent condition and I hear they last forever, and yes it's real haha

GrimesBo

Banned
17/8/15
I have a few watch boxes, which make the watches look very nice sitting there, but also I failed to mention I hear you must wind reps between 7pm-2am times or you could damage the movement?

Junger

5/6/15
I have a few watch boxes, which make the watches look very nice sitting there, but also I failed to mention I hear you must wind reps between 7pm-2am times or you could damage the movement?

Where did you hear this? That info is 100% incorrect. LOL...

Jeane123

6/4/15

not correct at all good sir. If you are referring to setting the date? that is not supposed to happen between 10 and 2 when it switches but that isn't specific to reps. But winding is all good

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Stand in the street in front of a busy watch/jewelry store. Like a pimp in Vegas. Now each time a customer comes in or out ask them if their automatic watch has a winder at home. You will most likely get the word NO. And they might even ask you, "Huh, why do I need that ?? Try 20 guys at a busy mall. Pretend you are doing a 'survey'. Dress up like 'the Fonz' if you have to. You will likely get 1 or 2 people that say yes. Most likely none. I have yet to see an AD of good watches offer one 'after the sale' of your new watch. Asking them about it, and they respond with " What ? You mean I need that contraption to keep my watch working ?, Give me a quartz !" is the customers answer. .........Mind you, nothing wrong with it if not used extensively. Your automatic watch needs a 'rest' sometimes. Ask a watchmaker. You'll get the same answer. .......... And they should know better.

GrimesBo

Banned
17/8/15
Stand in the street in front of a busy watch/jewelry store. Like a pimp in Vegas. Now each time a customer comes in or out ask them if their automatic watch has a winder at home. You will most likely get the word NO. And they might even ask you, "Huh, why do I need that ?? Try 20 guys at a busy mall. Pretend you are doing a 'survey'. Dress up like 'the Fonz' if you have to. You will likely get 1 or 2 people that say yes. Most likely none. I have yet to see an AD of good watches offer one 'after the sale' of your new watch. Asking them about it, and they respond with " What ? You mean I need that contraption to keep my watch working ?, Give me a quartz !" is the customers answer. .........Mind you, nothing wrong with it if not used extensively. Your automatic watch needs a 'rest' sometimes. Ask a watchmaker. You'll get the same answer. .......... And they should know better.
Wow you went all out with that answer lmao... I get it, maybe I mistakenly thought about the date and time. Oops my bad.