• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black explorer 1 Pricey?

wojiparu18

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/9/15
Would love advice from the board. Looking for an explorer 1 and i am shocked with prices.. $350 plus.. I own am familiar with reps. Why is this model so expensive? Any links to help my search? Thanks

Woji

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Which Explorer I ? Also a link on that one please. What TD ?? If it is the 39mm explorer I with the clone type Rolex movement copy, then it could very well be. Try getting it in a A2836-2 clone Asian movement. You will save money on it. and get a way better tried and tested movement.

wojiparu18

1/9/15
looking for a 2816, no 21j.. Black faced

Who makes the best black faced 39mm 2836 for the $$

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
When i first started with the forum, it helped to read all the sticky at each categories.
Very very valuable informations there.
also will answer a ton of questions eg which is the best etc etc

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
looking for a 2816, no 21j.. Black faced

Who makes the best black faced 39mm 2836 for the $$

i can't believe your post below? You expect someone to spoon feed you a watch? I was trying to help you out bud. Ungrateful!

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Lets get those fingers walking now............. There is a wealth of knowledge here IN PRINT......if you only read around. And check out ALL the TD's offerings. You will be amazed !!

wojiparu18

1/9/15
Thanks just looking for advice, I have no idea why I am getting attacked...

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
Listen to the responses...reflect...re-evaluate.

There has been a spate of really inappropriate and lazy noobs that have stirred things up recently. Do some research and come in under the radar if you want to be taken into the fold...

B

beefjerky456

I'm Pretty Popular
4/3/12
Wish some noobs could be bothered to put the effort in rather than expecting others to wipe their asses for them..geez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silvanos

Renowned Member
22/5/15
follow the advices..make a research between the TDs that have a website..

wojiparu18

1/9/15
Thanks.. I have checked it seems the explorer 1 is more pricey than other rolex reps.. It probally isnt as commmon as other reps..

papagiorgio

Horology Curious
12/9/15
I'm in the same boat as you and have been trying to find a reasonably priced Explorer I that looks as close to gen as possible. I've reviewed many threads and found helpful posts, but it seems like there is no definitive (or easy) answer on which one is the best. Also I've looked at Intime, PureTime, TS, Marvellous and Toro and have compared their offerings against photos of the gen.

I personally think the best one is the noob version from Marvellous. No, I have not purchased it yet, but from the pics it looks the most gen-like to me. Also, I have not purchased because I am rather new to this hobby and don't know enough to feel comfortable in using any payment method other than CC (plus I like the convenience of CC). Here's a link to the one I'm talking about:

http://v.yupoo.com/photos/mrwatch/albums/6141732/

The following are some things to consider when comparing the Explorer I from different makers:

1. Lume should be blue
2. 3, 6 and 9 markers should not be lumed
3. Rolex crown should be engraved on the crystal in the 6:00 position
4. Engraving on the rehaut should start with the Rolex crown at 12 and the second markers should line up with the Rolex text (1 sec should have the R, 2 should have the O, 3 should have the L, and so on)
5. Engraving on the rehaut around 6:00 should have some bogus serial number
6. Engraved letters on the rehaut should not be tall enough to fill the rehaut...they should maybe take up half the height of the rehaut
7. There should be no engravings on the back of the case

Other members are more than welcome to point out anything I've overlooked or to tell me I'm crazy for liking this noob version. I don't pretend to know everything...I'm here to get some nice reps and learn.

khanage

8/6/11
Thanks for the advice. To add to that...
1. The dial should be matte, not gloss.
2. The hands should be thinner (even those on the MR look too fat.)
3. The clasp should be an 'easy lock' (?) rather than the glidelock most seem to come with.

It's a shame really. The beauty of the 36mm Explorer was that it was such a simple design ..no cyclops, date, rotating bezel etc , that it became one of the best out of the box reps, simply because it was so , well, simple. Kind of baffling that we are on version 3 now and it's still a way off , even on something as basic as the hands. There is actually an example on the PT site claiming to be 1:1, copied directly from a gen but still looks to have the wrong hands!

Guess we'll just have to wait for a v4 with an affordable movement.....hint, hint :laugh:

Johnw

31/12/14
+1 khanage!
The Explorer1 with SA3132 movement is the only one with the right size hands at the moment.
But expensive...