• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Ceramic Diver - compilation of differences

orm

Known Member
1/9/09
So the fact that there are three different AP Ceramic Divers out there and none have all best current features i needed to get my head straight.

There is lots of info in several threads here and on RG so i compiled what i found and added some links to the sources. I initially did this just for me but i figured other might have an interest as well.

I hope this can help someone make the correct decision or build a perfect mashup!

Please if anything is wrong or new information is revealed, post/pm/shout so that i can update this accordingly.

With no further ado, the data collected:

H-Factory
+ The best dial/tapisserie (1)
+ Orange colours are good
+ Sports the “new” more prominent brushing (1)
+ Best case (1)
+ Gen-like case back engravings (1)
+ Caseback thickness
+ Correct "4" shape on the 40 on the inner bezel
+ Cheaper

- Non decorated movement
- Small bezel numbers, altho this can also be found on gen (1, 2)
- Grey hour hand
- Crown is too small, or maybe the others are too big? (1, 2) (Kinda thinking of removing this)
- Wrong date wheel font

JF
+ Decorated movement
+ Better date then H-fac (1)
+ Great AR

- Yellow second hand lume
- Not so good outer rotating bezel lume (1)
- Dial is not very good
- More expensive than Hfac
- incorrect "P" serial number on back (means prototype)
- Incorrect 4 in 40

NOOB
+ White hour hand
+ Decorated movement

- More expensive than Hfac
- Dial is not very good
- Worse xtal then JF
- Incorrect 4 in 40

Comparison Shots

Front, click for bigger pic:

FAQ

Q) Whats the correct letter for serial #?
A) It should start with I

Q) So what is the correct bezel brushing?
A) The gen have undergone several iterations with more prominent brushing on the current version as of this writing. This means less or more prominent brushing is still correct.

Q) Divers are low beat, are any of these three low beat?
A) Sadly no. Can however be modded to low beat.

Q) I hear talk of small/big inner bezel numbers, whats that about?
A) As with bezel brushing there seems to be different size numbers on different iterations of the gen as well.

Post updated 2015-08-23 with FAQ
Post updated 2015-08-22 with comparison shots and comments in thread.

ernien

Renowned Member
23/9/12
Ontario, Canada
Nice idea, here's a few more things

JF:
-incorrect "P" serial number on back (means prototype)
-lume on the inner bezel indices 1-15 too green/yellow
-wrong "4" shape on the 40 on the inner bezel (noob has same issue)
-grey hour hand

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
I've been studying and studying gen photos and now I'm not so sure the H Fac crown is too small, if anything the J and Noob could actually be too big! The usual problem is the AP logo more often than not never lines up with the flats of the crown, and that's something all of them suffer with unless you're lucky!! Also the thickness of the H Fac case back is much more accurate as it's thinner than the J or N which have both used the standard CB. And H has the slightly thicker case which you can see below the CG's is thicker. Photo below is obviously the gen on the left, N on the right and J below. The J Fac seems to have this thicker case too, and the lug screws of the J and H seem better than the N screws (especially in the pic below). Unfortunately I can't find an H pic that has the same angle of view so just going on what others have said particularly Polonius.

yEavJ0Pl.jpg
DzqjjC2l.jpg

rO1mL2cl.jpg

But the biggest flaw on all of them is the date wheel numbers which are so wrong it's untrue!! AP changed the DW numbers significantly from the standard Diver, although you'd have to know the watch intimately to realise that if you were just casually glancing at it.

MX2pqOSm.jpg

gSqskGxm.jpg

orm

Known Member
1/9/09
I have added comparison shots.

I have "borrowed" these from Toro as he is the only one that carries all three and takes photos in similar fashion. If this is against the rules please let me know. I am planning on making more comparison shots of other angles and parts and it takes a lot of time that i have no interest in being wasted by breaking rules.

brandan_20

19/10/11
Can someone confirm if the JF version actually has the low beat 21k movement as per the gen?

orm

Known Member
1/9/09
No.

Puretime says: Japanese MIYOTA 9015 24J automatic movement at 28800vph
Intime says: MIYOTA 9015 automatic movement
Torobravo says: Asian Seagull 2824 Movement Decoration to AP Calibre 3120 Movement, 28800bph

No mentions of low beat movement.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
I wondered where that came from too. The Miyota 9015 definitely the same beat rate as the 2824 at 28800.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
I'm wrong about the date font on these. If it's the same movt as the V7 then it has the updated date font. Not sure about the H fac version but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Ok folks, need to update this again. The H fac definitely has the older type date font and is wrong!! N and J are using the newer 15710 type movements which do have the correct date fonts.

FLWatchGuy

Renowned Member
Supporter
22/3/15
What letter should the correct serial # start with on the caseback?

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
Very useful thread!!! I was lost in the maze of different details between all those versions; not anymore!