• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 6542 panam gmt build....

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
So.. I was the guy that snagged this last week: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...Vintage-Rolex-Pan-Am-GMT-6542?highlight=panam

I've wanted an albino GMT for quite some time. I only know of a few REALLY nice builds that have been done over the years and these guys spent well over a grand each on them. I know there's a huge issue with the dial since ingod is no longer around. At $300 I felt I had nothing to lose to at least see if I like the look as a whole and then decide where to proceed.

Well, it's on my wrist and I have to say it's a unique watch. So.. Would it be smarter to a) mod this one up, b) start from scratch with another puretime 6542, or c) start from scratch from a handful of parts from different vendors?

I don't know enough about this puretime base to know just how bad it is. I know the bezel insert doesn't have the true "bowling ball" effect it should, and the hands are aged yet the dial isn't so that's off, but fill me in on which route makes the most financial sense so I can decide if it's worth the effort, or if I should just enjoy this guy at the price point it is..

Thanks~

image2_zpsyyluhrtb.jpeg

image1_zpsgkfmcgpk.jpeg

image4_zps6fsk4bue.jpeg

image5_zpssohivzej.jpeg

image7_zpstkvvnlbl.jpeg

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
some pics would be nice mate, congrats on the new watch regardless :)

JoeyT

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/14
Gotta do something with the dial to match the hands

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Gotta do something with the dial to match the hands

Or visa-versa.

I think the dial looks great but the hands look overdone by comparison.

I personally would not want to uglify that dial very much

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
Or visa-versa.

I think the dial looks great but the hands look overdone by comparison.

I personally would not want to uglify that dial very much

Good point although the insert is pretty beat up - I feel the case/insert/hands are all similar in look then the dial looks "crisp" and new!

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Good point although the insert is pretty beat up - I feel the case/insert/hands are all similar in look then the dial looks "crisp" and new!

Yeah but ive seen plenty of gens where the outsides were all beat to hell but under the glass it still looks pristine.....

Personal choice id say, neither one is wrong........

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Nice! Now all you need is to get the back done...

PanAm%20%28.5%20solid%29.jpg