• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sub-C Magnification (is this right?)

vspede

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/6/15
I was comparing my new sub to my old GMT and the magnification seems smaller. Is the GMT 3x or is my sub-c off?

3WPFxuT.jpg

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Is the sub gen? I ask because this is an issue that has been discussed over on TRF. Apparently Rolex has been messing with the magnification and a lot of the new pieces over the last year have come out with 2x instead of 2.5x.

vspede

12/6/15
No, both are reps. The 2-tone is about 4 years old. The Black one is a BK V5 sub.

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
No both watches have the wrong mag.reps don't get it perfect. Just put a gen xtal in that v5
Ps the mag looks a lot more correct on your v5 than the gmt as that's way over magged

Junger

5/6/15
Like to note that the crystal gasket height and crystal thickness will also determine the magnification on cyclops. 2mm to 1.8mm thick crystal with 2.3mm, 2.5mm, to 2.7mm height gasket will make noticeable difference between them with same 2.5x cyclops.

vspede

12/6/15
Yea, I've been looking it up and apparently its a problem for even Gen Rolex that magnifications seem to be all over the place now.

I just didn't know if it was the V5 that had poor magnification or the GMT that was Over Magnified. I didn't know if this was an issue.

What magnification do you think the V5 is? I know on other sites they state 3x but I really don't think that mine is.

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
I've already told u the v5 looks around 2x5 and the gmt around 3x The mag issue being way undermagenfiied in gens is that rolex somtimes use a gasket that's to small.if u send it in to rsc they put the correct gasket in that give you 2x5 mag. rep cyclops and rep gaskets sucks ar also sucks. Xtal edge also sucks.gen xtal is a must for all reps

vspede

12/6/15
It is great. I highly recommend you get it from BK.

I kid you not, when I opened the box and I saw it, it felt like I was looking at a high end classy jewelry piece. BK's QC makes that much of a difference. I posted a review on his dealer page if you want to check it out.

Crabber

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/12
I was just at the AD the other day and the mag between the Submariner and GMT Master II were different...can't recall which one had more mag...want to say the sub.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
I've already told u the v5 looks around 2x5 and the gmt around 3x The mag issue being way undermagenfiied in gens is that rolex somtimes use a gasket that's to small.if u send it in to rsc they put the correct gasket in that give you 2x5 mag. rep cyclops and rep gaskets sucks ar also sucks. Xtal edge also sucks.gen xtal is a must for all reps

i don't think the gen issue is related to the gasket. there was a trf post where a member posted before and after pics after sending in to rsc and in a side profile shot the "after" cyclops was noticeably more domed thereby providing more magnification.

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
If rolex use the tiny 2.4 gasket that the 114060 uses .the xtal is flush the mag will be too small.that's what I think rolex have been doing using 2.4 or 2.5 size gaskets instead of the usual 2.6 size that's correct.that's just my opinion on the gen problem