• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Rentals For Watch Enthusiasts

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
I read an interesting thread over on WUS about an affordable way to have gens in rotation without investing tens of thousands of dollars. It's called Eleven James, and seems pretty interesting. I may have to get on that virtuoso plan for a while, but have to dig into the fine print first. What do you all think about this service?

Link to thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=2216194

D

d4m.test

It´s much too expensive, as I understand You always have to get the plan for a Year. It would be ok to test-drive before getting the expensive gens but reps are a better/ more efficient solution imo.

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
Yep, I agree that reps would be cheaper. I don't really want to turn it into another gen vs rep thread. I think the entry level may be good for some people who may never have any of those gens if it wasn't for the rental. I think the entry level is 149 or 189 per month.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I think it's rather intriguing and just might entice certain watch collectors that otherwise might not have the income to purchase the gen. I assume insurance against loss, theft, etc. is built into the membership.

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
$1000 a month to rent an AP. you could almost buy one once the year is up. thats about the same as buying a maserati. I'll stick to the reps.

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
I don't understand why someone would "rent" a watch they can buy a great REP of. Or in the case of Rolex buy a watch they can sell for what they paid in a few years, My Niece's husband has a TT Rolex SUB he paid $6000 for seven years ago. He could get $8000 for that watch today. Inflation did not go up that much,

whoischich

30/12/14
Eleven James offer you credit if you want to purchase a watch after renting it, so the money isn't totally wasted.

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
in theory its a nice idea, in practice its not really practical. Maybe if it was cheaper I'd say it was good. And all of that is before you factor in the "wear and tear"

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I don't understand why someone would "rent" a watch they can buy a great REP of.

Playing devils advocate not everyone is comfortable with the idea of buying a replica with all the baggage and negative stigma attached to it. There are plenty of rep collectors that have 20, 30 or more watches in their collection. At an average of $300 a watch that adds up to a few really nice gens, just sayin. The idea will appeal to some but obviously not to most on our forum.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Pointless IMO as you just spend money and have nothing in return when e/g you quit renting you get nothing you just paid money..

Also what happens to scratches and stuff that happen during wear?

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
IT's a dumb idea and fools gold.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I was thinking of doing it. But for those prices, the "rep game" is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
I was thinking of doing it. But for those prices, the "rep game" is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of that, there's someone on here contemplating $6k on a rep. I honestly don't understand that level of commitment to reps. It's one thing if I was building the watch myself and got carried away, but to buy an already built rep for that much? I don't know.... To each their own, though.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Speaking of that, there's someone on here contemplating $6k on a rep. I honestly don't understand that level of commitment to reps. It's one thing if I was building the watch myself and got carried away, but to buy an already built rep for that much? I don't know.... To each their own, though.

To each it's own, but for $6k my friend, I could get me a nice Speedmaster or a used 168000. It all depends on the person.