• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Would you buy this Gen AP

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
Hello guys !

So lately talking with my friend ( who happens to be a really big watch dealer ) this AP came to the table... he offered me for what after a research looks to be a good price... 10K , it would be half price of what the market is...

question is ... i dont really like the dial but being a gen and at a low price im tempted ... is this really a good price and if bought and not liked do you think it may be a market to resell it or i would end up with this for the rest of my life :D

soo to buy or not to buy,,,, this my question !

2254875gross.jpg

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12
its a very nice watch

Keylog74

14/6/13
I feel you royaloakoffshore , i guess that would be a cool thing to show off around in CH :D

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
If I had 10k right now I'd be throwing my money at this one!!

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
The alinghi is a rare pice. 10k is really a good price.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Jeane123

6/4/15
I would jump on that! Does this offer extend to others ;) ?

Mandreas

Renowned Member
9/11/14
The key word here is rarity.

This is a super unique ROO that's hard to find, and that is an insane price. I would snatch it up in a second myself if I had the money. With a little work, you could honestly flip it if you wanted at that cheap.

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
So if you have Time and Money to do that invest I would give it a try...
So the Alinghi Models are rare Pieces that's right, but these are no best Sellers!

The Alinghi RoseGold for Exsample 26062OR.OO.A002CA.01 is or was an good selled Watch before the AP 44mm Models was out... Now there are a lot of newer Models out, as I said already 44mm the new Ceramic 42mm and and and...

so my Guys (friend AD) deal only with 2nd Hand GEN Watches and they have a lot of AP Watches in Stock.
The Alinghi RoseGold they have now Since over 1 1/2year...

And they Sell and Buy many Watches. So at the first look it Sounds like an great Deal, because these Watch will be mostley offered for the double (20k)
But check these offered Watches on Chrono24
Follow them for an while and you'll see that these Watches don't sell like an Rolex Sub or so...

Sure there is an Market for it but

1. There are a lot already on the Market that would be offered
2. You must find the right People that have enough $$$ for buy it (the People that can buy an Alinghi are not at chrono24)

If your mate (AD) is an Friend then make 1-2 Pics of the Watch, ask him if he will hold you the Wach back for 1-2 Weeks
And then try to sell it on the Offical Forums... I am 99% sure you wouldn't sell it in this Time ;)

So if you buy the Watch for Speculation I would say you buy her for 10k and try to sell her around 12-15k
As Higher your Price as longer it will take...

If you say this is one of my Favorite Watches go for it! You wouldn't get it cheaper... And if you don't like here anymore after an Year or Two you offer her for the same Price again ;)

And remember an Movement Sevice at AP cost you at an Alinghi minimum 1,5k and then they Calculate from an Watch that cost 12k new, I bet the Service only for the Movement of the Alinghi cost you 2,5k

AP Prefer Service after 5 Years ;) it's no must! But Collectors are sometimes Crazy ;)

They want that no one have touch the Watch but say at the same Time does the Watch have an Fresh Service lol...

So this is my thinking ;)

Keylog74

14/6/13
Thank you guys for the great feedback !

As i stated what tempted me was the price and thinking that if i dont like it i would always get my money back but not knowing how the Gen AP market goes im not sure...

@zocker4711 i agree with your 100% i too saw this piece is no common and would ask someone who really understands the brand... and yes true that price tag is over 20k but they dont sell..

i have no reference on gen forums so selling there i think it would be a hard thing for me ... but good thing is that looks like some guys here want it ! so maybe i can flip it to one of them before it needs the crazy 2.5k service :D

i may give it a try keep it for 1 month than decide if i wanna buy ... this would be my first gen ap as for now i only have a FC driver rep ... so im a noob at AP scene...

tinitonsi

Patron
Certified
21/3/14
If you can afford it and you really like it, get it.

But if I was you, I would think 10 times (or more) before that. Because, for my 1st Gen AP, I'd take the model I really want in the range of my budget and not the 1st 'discounted' one somebody shows me and everybody say it's a great deal (of course it's a great deal).

For me, it's not an investment. You buy it for 10k, how much will you sell it? 15k? If you're lucky. you'll earn +3000/5000 Meanwhile it can need service (- 1500/2000), etc... etc...

So, if you wanna buy it only because you think you'll sell it for more, you better be a broker.
Find a buyer for your friend (maybe someone is really interested here in RWI), arrange the price with him (your commissions included), you all happy at the end ;)

MADRED7

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/11
Rare piece with a nice modified movement ... not the usual stuff and the price is nice as well.

Dr. Theo

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
I am absolutley with Tinitonsi :)

I would not grab an GEN that i don´t want... Or buy it only because it´s an Discounted Watch... So we talk here not about an Ice Watch of an few bugs... We talk here about 10k
So if you think you can sell her for 2-3k Plus and have an Buyer already this would be an Option too ;) but i don´t believe you have an buyer...

If that would be sooooooo easy, your AD had sell her already self...

As i said the Alinghi is a little Special... So AP and Hublot are the SWATCH Watches for the Rich and Famous People... And that People doesn´t care if they pay 20 or 30k for an Watch at an AD...

You must think they like these Special Status that they get when they buy the Watch at an AD... Coffee her, small Talk there... AD´s Finger in her A.... ahhhhh no no no no that they don´t do... or ?!?? :D LOL

And why should they buy then these Watch Private?!??

If this is an Watch like the ChronoPassion that World Wide exist only 50x then the whole looks different again ;) then they will buy it from you too, because there best Friend have these Watch too and they need it!!!!
But they can´t get it at ADs anymore...

But then you must put it in the Bay... The most of the Rich People trust in the bay more then i Chono24 they have hear from it maybe, but wouldn´t buy there...
They see the Bay as anonymous and safe... As i said already these People are sometimes Crazy... They live in another World...

I see that very often when i visit my Friend (AD)

So if you like the Watch and it´s one of your Favourit then jump on it... If not think about it ;)

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
The SS Alinghi is also Limited to 1935 pieces and the retail price was $31.500
So it's not one of the "normal" AP's.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Keylog74

14/6/13
I see what everybody says and thank you all for the feedback ... My friend is in the business from 30 yrs no and he is business partner with Tom Bolt for who may know, this watch came on table after a discussion we had on Franken AP , to him they were expensive builds and he buys a normal roo for 7-9k and no more ... and than told me about the alinghi who to him is better than a common roo as for limited edition and not well known to everyone ... to him this helps keep the price value.

As per selling it it may be room for it as i already got 3 pms asking to buy it from me for 13k plus

i will try to update this with some real pic next month when me and him both come back in town again..

Thank you again all for the great info and sharing your thoughts !