• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Saw this on a friend's wrist

pengo

I'm Pretty Popular
11/7/15
[MENTION=72466]Daywatch[/MENTION]
"Amazing what some ppl have, while others don´t manage to get there in a lifetime..."

he also didnt get there in a lifetime.
it needed generations. ;)

D

d4m.test

nobody gets there in a lifetime.

If You don´t pay the amount of taxes we have in the EU, which simply prevent early capital accumulation and future multiplication, and if You are skilled and lucky, You could manage...(in a lifetime I mean:), not with 20)

thewatchdog

26/6/14
Well, you don't have to be a racer to buy a Lamborghini..
You dont need to be a racer. But atleast the person owning a lambo will be knowing what speeds the machine is capable of and what kind of engine it has, how many horse power etc etc.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

dave2889

Renowned Member
7/10/14
Beautiful piece! I do love a skeletonised dial! I've never really given much time to JLC (not a particularly conscious decision) but this is a stunning watch. It's also great - as everyone has said - to see him wearing the watch! I bet there's a whole host of valuable watches out there that will never see a single minute of wrist time because the owners are too scared to wear them. Your friend's 'ignorance' to its value is almost a good thing! :) Thanks for sharing!!

psychom3

Renowned Member
3/3/09
I see these sorts of posts come up frequently on various forums and they always make me smile. It is very likely that everyone that participates in the thread does the exact same thing in one fashion or another. I am typing on a laptop that cost more than the average yearly per capita income for the world. I don't treat the laptop particularly well, in fact it has been beat and abused and I think nothing of it, but for some it would be a prized possession. To be a 1%er in the world means an income of $35k a year. The majority of fine watches are sold to people that don't know a main spring from a balance spring, just like the majority of Ferraris are sold to people who can't tell an engine with a flat plane crank from one with a cross plane crank by sound. If passion and knowledge were a requirement to buy luxury goods then luxury goods would be basically non-existent since the markets would be tiny. The Rolex et al gens exists because of people like these and our reps exist as a result of them too. Long live the deep pocketed people who buy what they want as it allows those things to exist. Early adopters and vanity shoppers make my life better in the end.

Mandreas

Renowned Member
9/11/14
I see these sorts of posts come up frequently on various forums and they always make me smile. It is very likely that everyone that participates in the thread does the exact same thing in one fashion or another. I am typing on a laptop that cost more than the average yearly per capita income for the world. I don't treat the laptop particularly well, in fact it has been beat and abused and I think nothing of it, but for some it would be a prized possession. To be a 1%er in the world means an income of $35k a year. The majority of fine watches are sold to people that don't know a main spring from a balance spring, just like the majority of Ferraris are sold to people who can't tell an engine with a flat plane crank from one with a cross plane crank by sound. If passion and knowledge were a requirement to buy luxury goods then luxury goods would be basically non-existent since the markets would be tiny. The Rolex et al gens exists because of people like these and our reps exist as a result of them too. Long live the deep pocketed people who buy what they want as it allows those things to exist. Early adopters and vanity shoppers make my life better in the end.

+1 for legitimacy.

swdivad

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/3/06
Beautiful watch for sure, and I do think it's sad that he doesn't even appreciate what it is despite what his father has given him from his hard work... So much of this in modern times.

One thing though, It must be a b1tch to set!

iggypop

I'm Pretty Popular
27/9/12
I wonder what the rest of his family's watch collection looks like. the father most be a wus to buy the jlc especially when they only made 200.

thewatchdog

26/6/14
Beautiful watch for sure, and I do think it's sad that he doesn't even appreciate what it is despite what his father has given him from his hard work... So much of this in modern times.

One thing though, It must be a b1tch to set!
It has a small pusher at 8 clock which shifts everything by one day/date etc.

thewatchdog

26/6/14
I wonder what the rest of his family's watch collection looks like. the father most be a wus to buy the jlc especially when they only made 200.
He told me his dad wears a Cartier skeleton. Not sure which model.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
odds gotta be there's no way the kid had all the time functions set properly.

thewatchdog

26/6/14
odds gotta be there's no way the kid had all the time functions set properly.
I set it for him lol. Next day when i met him i didnt see the watch on his wrist so just casually asked him, wheres your watch. He was like 'dude its not working. It has stopped moving, its lying in my bag'. Thats the point where i told him the actual value of the watch and told him to take care of it and not leave it lying in his bag. And i also set everything for him and taught him how to handwind it and explained to him what a perpetual calender was and why his watch is so special.

thewatchdog

26/6/14
Before i taught him how to handwind the watch, he actually emailed JLC asking how do i charge my 'grand master Perpetual calender 8 jours SQ'. I would pay a hundred bucks to see the reaction on the face of the person reading that email. Hahahahaha. He must be thinking, who the **** among those 200 is such a noob lol.

swdivad

Banned
22/3/06
It has a small pusher at 8 clock which shifts everything by one day/date etc.

yes, saw that... I wonder what happens when you overshoot the date!

thewatchdog

26/6/14
yes, saw that... I wonder what happens when you overshoot the date!
I guess u have to wait till it fully discharges after 8 days and then wait a day without winding it lol.

swdivad

Banned
22/3/06
I guess u have to wait till it fully discharges after 8 days and then wait a day without winding it lol.

Ughh...

I couldn't count the times that I've overshot the date on my simple Seamaster...