• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My AliExpress experience

swmonk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/1/13
For quite some time, I have been looking for a TT Datejust Thunderbird 16263. I checked with TD’s, no luck. I then came across a Thunderbird on Aliexpress….
I had to have it. I sent Lucy the link to Aliexpress, as well as a picture of the watch again (I had asked her about this particular model months ago), as well as a link to Michelles’(I don’t dare say the “S wordâ€) SS version, in hopes Lucy might overturn the lost jewel of a 16263 T-bird.

In her normal response time (BTW, quicker than any TD I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with) she told me that she remembered my earlier request and reminded me that the older repped, 36mm Datejust with lume dot, stick dials, are practically extinct, especially a rare model such as the T-bird.

So I went back to the dealer on AE, and asked him if the watch pictured is available, he told me that it was indeed available. I asked him to send me a photo of one he had sold, or had access to. He promptly provided not one pic, but three different pics of dial options for the watch.
AHA…. IT DOES EXIST!!!

I decided on this blue dialed version. I thanked him for the pics, “no problem friend†says my new found AliExpress “allyâ€, “order and you’ll get the watch in 21 daysâ€. So now I’m excited, as he provided pictures of the elusive T-bird, one of my grail watches, and at $80 USD, I thought what the heck.

t-bird3_zpsd0itxyo5.jpg

In less than two weeks, I received the watch.Here is whatI received, not sure if it should be called a YachtJust or DateMaster.

DSCF0933_zpsgjbbzccl.jpg

I felt compelledto share my AE experience and to extract and attempt a bit of humor along the way.

Moral of the story: Be careful of what is out there on AliExpress, and heed the advice of our esteemed members and especially our TD’s. When Lucy told me it wasn’t available, I should have listened. They are Trusted for a reason.

I have since contacted Mat over at RG about a T-bird build.
I hope you enjoyed a bit of my AE humility.

xpletiv

I'm Pretty Popular
3/3/10
So you wanted the first one and got the second, correct?
you always have the ability and right to respond to the dealer that it was not what you had ordered as per images and you want a refund. See how it goes from there and possibly contact AE service for refund if non given by seller. You have proof and should use it to your advantage.
I ordered a Bergmann from AE, communication was good, arrived in 12 days in very good condition. Win some, fight some.
You have or had a good case for a refund if your time is not up. Even a partial refund may be acceptable.

swmonk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/1/13
You are correct. I know about AE's policy and I've received a partial refund on another watch, had some successful purchases on AE as well, I haven't attempted any action on this one, as it's way past the point of being possible. I just thought it was funny, as it's such a horrible rep. However I made room on it on my winder and it keeps good time.