• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 1665 drsd Bezelconstruction

Fargo

24/3/15
Hello I have got a 1665 drsd cartel case.
The bezel is lose and not gen like.
A plastic retainer is holding the plexi.

So I want to exchange the old bezel for a genlike aftermarket construction.
Yuki has got a complete bezelconstruction,
but he discontinued it.

Can someone recommend a complete bezelconstruction?

Thanks

Regards Dennis

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Loose as in spins too easy?

Thats an easy fix if you feel up to it.

Fargo

24/3/15
Hm no thats not the problem. I just want a genlike bezel. With the plastic retainer I cant get the drsd waterproof.

Regards

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
my 1665 comex is exactly like that.. What would you recommend ?
Thanks

Pop your bezel off and put some gentle bends in the friction washer like this, the sharper the bends the tighter the bezel .

NO91ILr.jpg

Go easy at first, then test fit...adjust to your liking :)

Ohh and id love to see a pic of your Comex !

Docdocdoc06

11/7/11
Pop your bezel off and put some gentle bends in the friction washer like this, the sharper the bends the tighter the bezel .

NO91ILr.jpg

Go easy at first, then test fit...adjust to your liking :)

Ohh and id love to see a pic of your Comex !

Ok thanks I'm gonna try that, but it seems that the whole bezel comes off in one piece : that's what happened when I bleached my insert ;) here is the pic :
image.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Ok thanks I'm gonna try that, but it seems that the whole bezel comes off in one piece : that's what happened when I bleached my insert ;) here is the pic :
image.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

NICE !

Yes the whole bezel will come off in one piece, bezel, insert, and pearl.
The friction washer is underneeth that, or possibly stuck up inside the bezel

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Oh damn, the whole crystal retainer came off too !

The washer is in between that metal ring you see at the bottom and the actual bezel.

Can you possibly (but carefully) remove the insert from the bezel and press the retainer out?

Docdocdoc06

11/7/11
Oh damn, the whole crystal retainer came off too !

The washer is in between that metal ring you see at the bottom and the actual bezel.

Can you possibly (but carefully) remove the insert from the bezel and press the retainer out?

Ok what now chief ;)
I'm scared of pushing just anywhere though, I'm not sure which part is what and what is supposed to come off :

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Ok ive tried to identify the actual bezel blue, from the retainer red best i can....

8qCRJUJ.jpg

Also included is a pic of my 1680, with the retainer still on the case, the underside of my bezel (you can see the bottom of my insert through the bezel) and the friction washer.

iyxdiqe.jpg

TBH, ive never had this happen to me, if it doesnt come apart easily, i would suggest waiting for someone more knowledgeable then me..

@Ephry73 .........bro, we could sure use your help !

Docdocdoc06

11/7/11
Ok ive tried to identify the actual bezel blue, from the retainer red best i can....

Also included is a pic of my 1680, with the retainer still on the case, the underside of my bezel (you can see the bottom of my insert through the bezel) and the friction washer.

TBH, ive never had this happen to me, if it doesnt come apart easily, i would suggest waiting for someone more knowledgeable then me..

@Ephry73 .........bro, we could sure use your help !

thanks a lot man, I tried pushing it off from the inside on the RED part but it seems to be quite stuck together, and I don't want to ruin the whole bezel!

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
thanks a lot man, I tried pushing it off from the inside on the RED part but it seems to be quite stuck together, and I don't want to ruin the whole bezel!

Best to just wait then, my Bro Ephry is a master at this stuff. Im sure hell chime it

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Hey, I just noticed an extra part in there that I do not have on my 1680. My bezel is loose, and when I remove it I see the retainer ring on the watch case, but there's no friction washer. Just the bezel and insert. Am I missing a friction washer? Where does that even go? In between the retaining ring and the bezel? My case is the Puretime.

Or am I possibly seeing the friction washer stuck to the case? That sucker is really on there so I'm guessing that's the retainer ring I'm seeing. My bezel clicks onto it.

Fargo

24/3/15
Hello yes you are lacking a friction washer. It belongs between your retaining ring and the bezel.
You can buy a aftermarket washer from wso or the bay.
If your bezel is still loose after installing the washer, you have to bend the washer a bit.
Regards

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
The friction washer is missing for sure. Now, I just got to this rodeo late, so trying to get the jest of the issue.

Most "gen" non friction bezel assemblies, or plexi bezel assemblies rely on the crystal retainer to act as both the track on which the bezel snaps on and rotates and also as a guide. The friction retainer is there to offer the classic "push down to change" design. Bending the spring to give it more resistance helps to engage the action better. Now, if the bezel is so tight that it cannot even be taken off, then there is an issue with too close a tolerance and this needs to be addressed. You can pry the bezel away from the crystal retainer and reduce its circunferance slightly and see if that works. This is a tedious process and is all trial and error. All about the small increments, rather than taking too much off. That ol' saying that "once you take it off, it ain't coming back on" applies here.

WSO bezel assemblies used to be notorious for this.

In Fargo's case the issue has to do with the Cartel assembly itself. Some of the different models have a very gen like assembly, and some have the paperclip setup.

The ones that have the gen like assembly can be used again with a different plexi that has a wider outer diameter, thus not needing the nylon spacer that these factories use to keep everything in place. If you could measure the OD of the crystal with the nylon spacer while installed on the case, this will give you a ballpark of what size crystal to get. eBay and Ofrei are good sources. Also ST(* time)

Sometimes you can even get real lucky and source a gen retainer and fit the outer bezel to this with a little sanding and then you're good to go.

Fargo, measure the OD of the parts together. Also, try to separate the bezel from the retainer (a little heat to the outer bezel helps and then you can use the cap of a pill bottle, or even a cap from a NyQuil bottle helps)
Measure the diameter of the lip from the case where the crystal sits on. These two measurements should give you the size for the crystal you need. There needs to be a slight "crunch" for a mechanical seal to take place, but this is in the .01 or MM

Then it is a matter of finding the crystal that fits your case, a bit of GS cement and then pressure fit everything. May not be good for 100m dive sessions, but should be good for pool and snorkeling if everything else is sorted out.

E

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Rep points for Ephry !