• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How are engravings painted black on gens?

umblackbear359

28/4/15
So I just accidentally took all the engraving paint off my lmpo's case back. I did it with an unfortunate combo of sunscreen and high pressure water.

I know the rep fix is so use some modeling paint, but I kinda like it without the paint. I figure this would reveal my watch as am obvious fake but part of me wonders, "could this have happened to a gen?" My question is: how are gen casebacks marked? What does omega use to create black lettering on a ss surface?

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
I was told by my AD that it was a black enamel. but what kind will always be a mystery. He did not know for absolute certainty but that was what he had heard because I had asked because of the well known issue of the paint coming off of the exp II's. I've got a video tutorial coming up soon on repainting.

ottomatic

Renowned Member
Supporter
12/2/12
I figure this would reveal my watch as am obvious fake but part of me wonders, "could this have happened to a gen?"

It does happen to some gens over time. You see it quite often in pics of older Rolex Sea Dwellers.

Abe Froman

Known Member
9/6/11
I had all the paint on the back of my Sea Dweller 4000 come off at once, during a 55km training ride on my bicycle. I guess the heat and salty sweat was a recipe for it to come off quickly.

umblackbear359

28/4/15
Looks like enamel paint is the way to go. Found that advice on some gen forums. My noob rep was definitely not enamel, they had more of a rubbery acrylic feel.

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Looks like enamel paint is the way to go. Found that advice on some gen forums. My noob rep was definitely not enamel, they had more of a rubbery acrylic feel.

Hey what type paint did you end up using?? I was doing a cyclops replacement and rubbed off some paint while cleaning the crystal.

Paint pen? Matte black or glossy black?

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
There's a post out there on this exactly.

Erik.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egroegart

1/7/13
It's a type of enamel, but rolex would never divulge what brand it is or anything like that. I've used "Testors" and it works great.

egroegart

1/7/13
I use paint. With a tiny brush. a good brush. I'm going to do a video on repainting one here probably this week that I will post.

egroegart

1/7/13
I don't know exactly what it is and he didn't either, I use thin coats of both flat and semi gloss. I think it gives a richer deeper look that way more gen like.

Milkbread

Known Member
2/9/14
Great video Egro! Too bad I didn't watch it just before painting mine, or I might have considered using a primer as well.

I just did a one time paint on my explorer 2 bezel using testor's flat black. Hope it turns out good!
I am tempted to use testor's high gloss black. Might turn out to look even better, even though it's not as similar as gen.

Perhaps someone could explain the theory behind using multiple coats based on what I read from earlier threads.
It seems that filling up the engravings is identical to luming - you fill it up just barely to the brim, and let it dry completely and it will be slightly sunken once the liquid evaporates.

I used a fat oiler to fill up the engravings just barely to the brim. When it dries completely, it will be slightly sunken showing the engraved numbers clearly!

Here are some pictures of the semi dry bezel which I just painted half hour ago.

egroegart

1/7/13
good job milk. I really don't know what the right way is or not, that's just the way I do it. I just tried the primer coats one day and liked how it turned out so I've been doing it that way. But I think you can do it without that too. Yours looks good too. I think really whatever way works for people is good. I'm an artist and painter so I approached this like I do when I paint cars and it seems to work best for me. I like to do thin coats and build them up. It takes a hell of a lot longer but for me it turns out better in the end. I have no idea how Rolex does it, and I haven't been able to get near the finish that they do yet on mine, and I've done it several times. But it does look better for me now doing the primer coats and then layering the flat and semi gloss. Here's a close up of the gen. Just smooth as can be.

i.ashx

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Mine is ready to go! I've found if you put a little of goof-off on the numbers the paint just wipes off. Hardly had to use a toothpick!

F0146967-AB86-4B3E-8674-9073B86315AE_zpsejcm1cs0.jpg