• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why can't Noob fix this????

divemax

2/7/14
Texas, USA
On almost all of the Noob SubCs that I have seen and the two that I've have purchased, the 6 O'clock dial marker is crooked. Why in the world can Noob not fix this? Seems like it would not be that hard to get the stick hour markers straight. Bugs the hell out of me.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
On almost all of the Noob SubCs that I have seen and the two that I've have purchased, the 6 O'clock dial marker is crooked. Why in the world can Noob not fix this? Seems like it would not be that hard to get the stick hour markers straight. Bugs the hell out of me.

why didn't you catch it in your qc pics and then ask for another that was straight? and if there's something specific like that you can ask the dealer to make sure the one they find for you has straight markers before they go looking for it.

D

d4m.test

You´ve never seen a pic of Noob´s Chief Quality Control Inspector;) You just don´t question him
1c61f84746a47849debdfe5be4cc375cabbfcb4aaf054c7ac67fff2e5c146981.jpg

He´s also responsible for the savings on magnification glasses for the workers, saves 0,0002 cents per watch:)
Claims he´s the inventor of the theory that it doesn´t matter how the crystal is pressed: either the Cyclops or the laser-etched crown at 6 is always misplaced, that one actually got him a pay-rise and a promotion:rollingonthefloor:
Some say, if all was well placed, it would look just like a gen - so nobody could tell it was a rep.....

divemax

2/7/14
Texas, USA
Just seems to be a consistent issue on pretty much all of Noob's Subs. It just doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to correct. Maybe it is more challenging than it seems.

Sent using Tapatalk

dan.ltr

Horology Curious
18/5/15
Canada
I never paid attention to this but now when I look at mu sub all I see is this :dry:

Junger

5/6/15

I have V5 and 6 o'clock marker is straight. May I have one of very few that has straight markers? But like most Chinese good,s quality control sucks.

botsyboy

Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Problem is the positioning tabs on the back of the markers are not quite straight. I remove the marker and one of the tabs and pop it back on.

kudos

18/2/14
Mine is straight but the cyclops looks slightly bent, anyone know how I can fix this? Also is the magnification incorrect?

mui.richard

Renowned Member
16/10/14
But like most Chinese good,s quality control sucks...

Really?

Being a Chinese educated in the west I find that statement a little hard to swallow. Contrary to what most westerners believe, Chinese had some of the most exquisite art pieces in the world and they can do some pretty darn perfect things. Have you ever seen the paintings done on a grain of rice, or the painstakingly detailed ivory carvings? And that was all done before any modern equipment was available? Even with modern day equipment that's something extremely difficult to mimic.

Why do you think the Chinese qc is so poor sometimes? Did you think they're actually that incapable?

When customers demand the lowest possible price and the lowest bidder for suppliers this is what you get. I can't imagine westerners willing to work in a factory sweating all day for 12-15 hrs a day without air conditioning and low pay.

So seriously, if you want perfect go get a gen.

Junger

5/6/15
Really?

Being a Chinese educated in the west I find that statement a little hard to swallow. Contrary to what most westerners believe, Chinese had some of the most exquisite art pieces in the world and they can do some pretty darn perfect things. Have you ever seen the paintings done on a grain of rice, or the painstakingly detailed ivory carvings? And that was all done before any modern equipment was available? Even with modern day equipment that's something extremely difficult to mimic.

Why do you think the Chinese qc is so poor sometimes? Did you think they're actually that incapable?

When customers demand the lowest possible price and the lowest bidder for suppliers this is what you get. I can't imagine westerners willing to work in a factory sweating all day for 12-15 hrs a day without air conditioning and low pay.

I said "most", not all. And I referred to inferior QC process. We're not talking about art works here. Most associates Chinese product as inferior with past records. And there it is again with this statement => "if you want perfect go get a gen." With little more effort, they can simply create higher quality product, even the reps and also charge more because there are people willing to pay more for better quality and the rep still cost 20 times less than the genuine.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
The watch makers don't do this just to piss you guys off. They buy the dials and dial markers in lots of thousands. If the marker manufacturer screws up a little, the watch assemblers aren't going to straighten each one by hand. They are probably placed in the appropriate holes on the dial by machine anyway. Same as the crystal makers. If they make a thousand with the cyclops crooked, the Noob Factory is going to assemble them and sell them and hopefully get a better crystal or dial marker set on the next batch. These are just manufacturing flaws of low end watches that we have to live with or wait for the next version and hope it comes out better.

Besides, if give the anals something to talk about and the modders something to fix. :lol:

yodog

Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Really?

Feelings hurt doe?

PS I am Chinese-American also, but I gotta tell you Chinese QC sucks a fat one. It is what it is, no one is saying they CAN'T be good, its just that it really is horrible.

Exhibit 1: Where was that thread with the funny misspellings on the casebacks? Like made in Switzassland or something.

alfa1

Horology Curious
1/4/06
USA
The new SubC's have been out what, since 2010 and not only Noob, but the rest of the makers STILL can't get the date centered in the dial opening....Why? Maybe they don't want to, if they made the perfect rep sales would eventually dry up,
Maybe they have made agreements with the powers that be, not make them perfect so the PTB allow them to continue so they can keep their black market goods and lively hoods intact. Make them PERFECT, then you have International Pressure on the PTB.
China and Quality Control in a sentence is an oxymoron, to those with thin skin, just take a good look at the junk they've been selling to us for the last 15 years.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
KBH beat me to it. Noob don't make dials and if they get 10,000 (Yes with a watch like the subc that would be the minimum they buy at once) dials they will use and hope for better next time. You still bought didn't you? That's all that matters to the maker.

Really?

It has nothing to do with the ability to make fine art or what the customer wants it has everything to do with the Chinese obsession for saving every last cent in introduction costs. I have a lot of product made in China and if specify component A and component B is .05 of a cent cheaper and 50% crappier they will use it and be totally incapable of understanding why I get pissed off.

QC is the same deal, a decision is not based on whether it will effect the longevity or usability of a product such as in the west the decision is based one will the customer buy it. Little or no thought is given to the fact it may be the last thing the customer buys because until recently most Chinese firms were manufactures and suppliers only (of export goods). They made stuff for other companies carrying that branding not their own. It simply wasn't their problem. Ask any big western company how much oversight they need to ensure stuff is made to spec by a Chinese supplier and you will find that most have inspectors prowling the floor continuously. It's not bad, it's not wrong it's just the Chinese way, make it and get it out the door. There is little or no consumer protection in the home market so they have never needed to worry at home and as I said the concept of encouraging customer loyalty is a forign one. There are after all a lot of Chinese so even if you only sell a person a product once it's no big deal. There are (were) no super corporations selling millions of items for the him market, Chinese manufacture has traditionally been much smaller companies than in the west so compared to the market size it just didn't matter.

This is still evident in Chinese companies that sell direct to the west with their own branding and it is biting them in the bum. DJI (the makers of the Phantom drone) are a good example. Great product but plagued by both QC and manufacturing/component quality issues. Hell, the second last firmware update the things falling out of the sky because the update was released before any real testing was done. Another example from them was massive amount of prop controllers failing because they were the wrong unit. That's what the supplier sent so that's what was used.

The same thig happened with Cherry cars. The basic design is good for a cheapie but the build quality is utter shit. Back home no one can complain, well they can but it won't do them any good. Here that didn't work. It's not so much QC it's the use of the cheapest components possible. As long as it runs as it leaves the showroom that's good enough apparently. A biggie was the fact the exhaust is lagged in asbestos. They were told during product approval to meet ADRs (Australian Design Rules) that that would not do but the alturnitive was far more expensive so they simply wrapped it in a thin aluminium shield (think thick kitchen foil) and hoped no one would notice. Well, they did and the recall cost them dearly both in terms of dollars and in market share due to bad publicity (something else that isn't an issue back home, consumer affairs don't get much of a run in the press, it looks bad).

No one is saying that Chinese companies can't produce world class goods after all look at iPhones etc, the issue is that (for the most part) they don't want to.

D

d4m.test

Noob can fix it, Noob won´t fix it. Why? Because Noob doesn´t need to.
Factory owner: If he says it´s good, it must be good.....or else.....
55258029.jpg

Noob V5 with crooked pearl: $368
Noob V5 with crooked Cyclops and misaligned dwo: $368
Noob V5 with everything perfect: $368
Noob V5 with everything wrong: $368

Than, later and out of reach of the Noob factory something very strange happens on m2m:
C&R Perfect Noob V5: $350
C&R Noob V5 with everything wrong: $150

And that´s why Noob won´t fix it, they neither make a profit nor a loss by fixing it, all stays the same - and it´s our fault, the systems fault - because new products lacking in quality are purchased at the same price of the good ones - and it´s also our TDs suffering.

Ruski91

12/10/12
Not sure if this has been said already, but i believe the factories will pruposely leave room for improvement as they know that many customers can live with the flaws, and those that cant will wait for the V2, v3, v ...... because with each new version they will very often take 1 step forward and 2 back, or even fix one small issue at a time.

With this they know that one of several things will happen.

1) Some with the previous version will sell theirs and buy the new one
2) some of those who havent bought the old version will be happy with the new improvements and will buy the new version
3) those that arent happy will wait for the next new version

and thus the ongoing saga continues and this is why you have v2, v3 etc. it leaves some room for minor improvements to attract new/old customers and reoccurring sales. Its really from a business stand point. As thrasher said, making it right the first time really will limit the amount of money they can generate. By making small steps forward they are in essence guaranteeing future profits. Just my opinion of-course.