• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First Submariner - Learning About theWwatch and Starting a mod tutorial thread

ballonasap

Horology Curious
6/2/14
So this is my first thread on the forum. I'm very new to the hobby and spent a while learning about what my options are. Although I plan to purchase TC, I think a lot of beginners would benefit from a concise thread that helps them get the most value out of a Sub build. I bought the cheapest 16610 I could find from Stan (#164).

I hope to accomplish the following with this thread:
1.) Learn about all the common flaws of sub reps under 250$ (specifically mine)
2.) Learn how to fix most of those flaws and document my experience
3.) Use this experience to advise newbies like me on how to maximize the value from their build

I'm currently using pictures I find online but I will borrow a colleagues gen inorder to better understand any visual discrepancies.

Here is the watch I received (cost me a total of 110$)

2eqbey0.jpg

2r3xdoz.jpg

ballonasap

Horology Curious
6/2/14
I really need help assessing what is wrong with this watch. Please let me know if im wrong because Im sure I am:

1.) The traingle at the top of the dial is misalgined but the rest of the dial looks good to me.
2.) Date wheel font and maginifcation looks off
3.) I need help figuring if the crown guards are accurate and if not, how do I fix them?
4.) Side of the case is polished as it should be but the sides of the links are wrong, can I polish them or should I replace the bracelet?
5.) The bezel feels solid and rotates as is should, looks good to me.
6.) I know the pearl is off and there are plenty on resources for that.
7.) Rehaut is aligned well (i think) and so is the etched rolex crown on the crystal at the 6 position

Any other comments? I'm excited to learn more!

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
For the price, it has to have some 'faults'. But, hey, since you are 'on your way' to get a TC..........you are in the right track my friend !! We all started out like you once !! Good luck !!

ballonasap

Horology Curious
6/2/14
I appreciate the support. I didn't want to flat out buy a TC without getting some experience. When I do get it, I want to be able to appreciate all the little accuracies that make it so great.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
yep, great idea with this. the crown guards are too thick. and they cover the crown at the top which they shouldn't. I have a thread under my name probably titled "shaving the crown guards" or something like that. I have a cheapie sub too that I've been working on. I use a dremel with a cutting disk. very thin, probably .5mm but that's a very touchy thing to do. so easy to mess up. but just look at the gen how the crown guards just surround the crown. and not actually cover it.

I also replaced my bezel insert with a TC. now. with yours I really wouldn't put a whole lot of money into it because of the movement and just overall quality. but if you can do things on your own like I did that would be the best thing to do. other than the crown guard and the insert I really don't know what you can do economically to that watch. Maybe practice with brushing and polishing on the bracelet and case.

egroegart

1/7/13
not exactly sure what you mean about the triangle being misaligned. for a cheapie you're not going to get any better than that. looks good to me really.

ballonasap

Horology Curious
6/2/14
egroegart, I actually have no idea what movement is inside this because Stan didn't list any details. I plan on opening it soon and figuring out exactly what is inside. Ill look intro the crown guards and report back when I give it a shot.

You don't think its economical to replace the date wheel (i think like 15$ from tc) and a the cyclop with one that has the correct magnification (also like 10-20$, I think?). I read a tutorial about to how remove the cyclop and install a new one with UV glue. Seems like a simple solution and would eliminate the biggest flaw on this watch

Lastly, its hard to see that the triangle is misaligned so Ill get a better picture tomorrow and you guys can give me better feedback

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
Pretty much all of Stan's watches run on a 21J so likely this is the same unless he told you otherwise.

D

d4m.test

egroegart, I actually have no idea what movement is inside this because Stan didn't list any details. I plan on opening it soon and figuring out exactly what is inside. Ill look intro the crown guards and report back when I give it a shot.

You don't think its economical to replace the date wheel (i think like 15$ from tc) and a the cyclop with one that has the correct magnification (also like 10-20$, I think?). I read a tutorial about to how remove the cyclop and install a new one with UV glue. Seems like a simple solution and would eliminate the biggest flaw on this watch

Lastly, its hard to see that the triangle is misaligned so Ill get a better picture tomorrow and you guys can give me better feedback

Hi, as You will see this has the Asian 2813, a lowbeat 21j movement in it, nice and cheap workhorses, replacement costs about $30 from Ofrey. In my opinion You´ve got the perfect training watch and You should try out every mod on it, as long as You do it Yourself and keep the single parts in the lowcost range as mentioned. Take it apart, reassemble it, remove stem and tab holders, shave crownguards, polish, buff etc. I´d also try the Cyclops and datewheel thing.
Any other in future will be more expensive when something goes wrong - and there is always something that goes wrong, that´s automatic:)

Opinion: if You go this far and like to experiment around You don´t even need to get a ready-to-use TC. For that kind of budget in 2 months time You may embark in a nice and personalized vintage journey like a 1680, 5512, 5513 or big crown with a perfect dial, crown, crystal, swiss movement etc. just go take a look at Yukitime, Rafflestime, Ingod44, Hellenarou.

Beat everything out of it. Have fun.

after worrying about these - I just wear the one below:) (well, sort of...)
V5%20TC%20SD_1545c_zps5v9tuimb.jpg

IMG_4829-5513b_zpscr5r9uqq.jpg

egroegart

1/7/13
yes, you could do those things for sure. those are pretty cheap to do. there are a lot of flaws, but honestly nobody is going to notice unless you meet someone that knows rolex. but low end watches have a lot of flaws. as you get to know more you will see. the dial, font's lume lume application, and much more. but these are fun to tinker with for sure, and good to learn with. yes, stans watches come with 21j or low beat movements.

ballonasap

Horology Curious
6/2/14
Daywatch, thank you for the encouragement! Is the font actually wrong or is it just the magnificaiton. I just looked at it from the side (not through cyclop) and it looks very close to what im seeing online. If thats the case, my first move would be to replace the crystal/cyclop and see what look I can get. If not, then ill source the datewheel from TC.

egroegart

1/7/13
the font is wrong. not sure about the magnification, but the font is definitely wrong. not even close.

switi

Known Member
23/4/11
almost everything is wrong in this watch, the only thing right is the price and the reason you bought it for, for practice correcting all the things that is wrong. then this is a great piece for that purpose. and i envy you for that endeavour. you will have a lot of time tinkering with this watch, buying extra parts etc. but if you plan to wear this, so wrong.
almost everything is wrong. and to have it to be correct, you will have to do a lot of work (and extra parts), a lot of patience and high tolerance for frustrations.
good luck with the journey to rep kingdom, and enjoy your project.

rsh

3/4/10
wrong date font, wrong cyclops mag, wrong crown guards, dial appears to be MAXI dial, hands standard, insert font off, pearl off, crystal looks poor, lots of issue to be honest