• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 7750 Cyclops TIME TO CHANGE.

shaugn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/11/09
You would have to re-machine a bridge of the sec@12 since the DW cut out is inherently part of it. My own experience tells me it will be difficult to preserve the precise corners and parallel geometry. Still, probably a good way to deal with DW offset. But still, the cyclops is key.

With LWOs, the circle with the window can be punched out for spray painting, which edge did with his franken at one point. I wonder if the same can be done here?

Edit: Hmm... You would really only need to do the top and bottom edge to convert the rectangle to a square...

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Yes it can be done with JF A7750s. But it is not recommended to use the JF DW cut-out overlay

shaugn

24/11/09
Problem is: the initial investment on cyclops development and production is over $10,000 at some places.

I just saw this... ouch. The tooling cost for producing brass wheels in China was estimated at around 30,000 RMB or close to $5k. The actual brass though is cheap. Sourcing the correct thickness brass shouldn't be a problem either...

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Yes, whenever I get the quote from the factory, whether for OEM hands runs or OEM cyclops runs, I always ask, "are the guys on RWI gonna buy it?" and I always say, "nope, they will abandon me, say they don't have any money, leave me for dead." That way it is good: nothing gets done, although it could.

shaugn

24/11/09
Yes, whenever I get the quote from the factory, whether for OEM hands runs or OEM cyclops runs, I always ask, "are the guys on RWI gonna buy it?" and I always say, "nope, they will abandon me, say they don't have any money, leave me for dead." That way it is good: nothing gets done, although it could.

Is doing a crowd funding exercise against the rules here on RWI?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
RWI has no rules on crowd funding. But the guys here want to use their funny money to buy the next Diver V9 or RG nonsense, rather than quality upgrades. So what does it matter?

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Group buys, pre orders always end in a disaster and someone always out of pocket, Big Crown pre order was perfect example of that.
What members do outside of Rwi is upto them, but No one will be using Rwi as a link to crowd funding unless they get approval from Admin!!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Well, that seals it, no OEM spec hands and no OEM spec cyclopses for anyone on RWI, LOL. :thumbup:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Putting up >$10,000 for the funny flakey bunnies is too much risk for me. So, in the end, nothing gets done. Everybody is happy.

aperoo

16/3/15
So, in the end, nothing gets done. Everybody is happy.

slaughterer, the lone crusader

:horse:

I'll just keep plugging away at the date wheels. Did a few print tests, the font increase 'helps' really only a little. And, given the smaller allowances it becomes much harder aligning correctly so you don't have the diver7 syndrome of seeing the next dates give odd 20 onwards. In doing them I could almost hear the Guangzhou guy cursing who did the ones we so desperatly wish to change. I can do them to exact fonts but the key is a cyclops that magnifies. Else this exercise will quickly become slightly pointless reasonably quickly I'm afraid.

aperoo

16/3/15
Hi slaughterer,

Am not one to give up or not come up with retarded ideas, but do you have the specs on hand by any chance?

width/diameter
height/thickness

And ideally an estimation of magnification but that would understandably be very hard to pin down as it depends on distance.

Perhaps someone with a caliper can measure a spare cyclops otherwise?

Just had an idea which may very well sound ridiculous but worth a shot....

Dismantled a led pointer i had in my office and low and behold, there's a decent lens in it. Interesting part is the curvature. Magnification is top. So now I'm googling real quick at for example http://guide.alibaba.com/shopping-guides/led-5mm-glass-lens.html

Which are all huge. But surely there's a manufacture out there that makes the right size. At these prices nothing is lost but the pursuit of an idea.

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
I don't know when/how this Gen-spec cyclops will be done, but I'm in for sure

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Aperoo, don't go there (been there, done that, wasted money in the process). You need a high-end specialty optics company to do "metal and glass exact", not some crazy stuff from alibaba. Get Edge to give you the contact info for the Tissot factory where he got his DWs manufactured, otherwise your painstaking graphic designs will be for nought, exactly like BUB's cases. You do not want to end uo in would-have should-have world.

aperoo

16/3/15
Fair enough, doubt any of these vendors would be able to make high spec customs if their business model is low cost.

Am in touch with Edge. I'll go back to my little drawing board and focus on the date wheels.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Bumpity bump. I'm willing to privately fund this project. We need this. I'm doing something on my own now, but always open to creative resources. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

tinitonsi

Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Bumpity bump. I'm willing to privately fund this project. We need this. I'm doing something on my own now, but always open to creative resources. :)

This will be an awesome thing for the community, bro
Thx for your effort ;)

wooky492

21/9/12
This will be an awesome thing for the community, bro
Thx for your effort ;)

Most definitely! I don't know about others but I need 100 of them at least. LOL
[MENTION=31341]legendkiller[/MENTION], [MENTION=58374]slaughterer62[/MENTION], Al and J, please make this happen! :bless:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Most definitely! I don't know about others but I need 100 of them at least. LOL
[MENTION=31341]legendkiller[/MENTION], [MENTION=58374]slaughterer62[/MENTION], Al and J, please make this happen! :bless:

I'm starting to experiment with another double AR, larger mag version bro. Wish me (us all) luck!

Reactions: Allure