• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What's wrong with my mainspring!?

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
I came across this odd problem with my watch which is causing the seconds hand to spin like crazy. I notice that my mainspring is going abnormally fast. Can someone tell me what's causing my mainspring to "discharge" this fast? And can someone tell me what movement this is?
Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKg2T4X0JnM

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Are the balance wheel, escape and pallet fork really moving along at that speed?

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
The balance wheel looks normal. I cant see the fork. But the seconds hand now makes one complete cycle in less than 5 seconds. It's like a foudroyante LOL

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Take off the balance assembly and if it still moves, then one of the gears inside is slipping and could be causing the sped up rotation. Without the balance wheel, the fork shouldnt move at all and the movement should stop.

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
Ok thanks, I'll try that. Do you know if this movement is a 2836?

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Ok thanks, I'll try that. Do you know if this movement is a 2836?

Not 2836, im pretty sure thats the "POS" movement which was discovered initially in the H-Factory Steelfish, it does not hold the dial with 2 dial arms but 2 screws right?

I say dont bother repairing it, unless you just want to have fun experimenting with it.

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Its a Z2, aka POS Clone. Not worth repairing in my opinion my friend. Replace it for a ETA or proper ETA clone.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Yep its one of those Z2 "hunkajunk" movements, not worth fixing...actually not able to repair due to lack of parts.

However im curious as to exactly what happened.
with a broken escapment, ive seen the MINUTE hand rotate around once in 5 seconds, and stripped gears, it ususally runs super fast till the gears reengage.

This one seems to run fast at a constant rate.

If you have the gumption to strip it down and see what is actually damaged, im sure we would all like to see.
But the strip down will be futile for repairs, as parts are non existant as stated above by Shiro

EDIT : BTW what watch did this come out of ?

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
I would hazard a guess the pallet fork shellac is broken, or the actual pallet fork is displaced.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I would hazard a guess the pallet fork shellac is broken, or the actual pallet fork is displaced.

But then the balance would not appear to operate as normal?????

EDIT : yeah i can see that if the escape gear is just rubbing on the fork jewels rather than engaging

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
If only one of the two shellac is missing then its possible, and the escapement would be free to delete the power reserve, it is a strange one, usually with these Z2's its the stem, and keyless which is commonly reported to fail. I would be interested to see the OPs' findings should he investigate.

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
I plan to break it down and find out the problem. I'm waiting on a watchmaker tool set so that i can unscrew the rest since my tools are too large to fit atm. This movement came from a HS01 I am modding. But the movement broke down before I could start the mods =(
I'm really curious myself, I'll keep you guys updated.

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
I'm guessing this is the Z2 movement? Looks really similar to mine.

attachment.php

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Correct, thats the Z2. The easiest tell for anyone to check are the dial feet retaining screws. An ETA or ETA Clone has dial hooks, not screws.

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
I see, thanks. So an ETA movement would be able to replace this movement for my HS01?

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Yes, or a proper ETA clone, there maybe some variation in hand sizes, but broaching them will enable them to fit. I have come across some hands are a straight fit, others not so much.

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
So I've tore down the movement and rebuilt it. I did not see anything out of the ordinary. So I put the movement back together and it works perfectly now! I'm guessing one of the gears was loose which caused the quick draining of the mainspring.
Thanks all for your advice and comments!

As a treat, here's my Heritage Submariner 01:

20150408_204000.jpg