• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 1680 Red Build (Pic Heavy)

jdog111578

Renowned Member
17/1/14
Hey all,

More of a lurker here and mostly just scour the sales threads. Im more active next door on RWG.bz but figured I'd throw this up here as well.

One of my latest builds.This one in particular was built for a good buddy of mine on the boards, Rob (Pseudonym). Rob had talked to me about building him a couple vintage subs and we started the planning. This was the first on the list, a vintage late 60's, early 70's Rolex 1680 Red sub. Since then, my good friend has to decided to go gen and so this one is still with me. For now
wink.png

Started life as a PT 1680 red with swiss 2846 low beat. I disabled the whole watch and began ordering parts and raiding my parts drawers. The objective was to build a nice vintage piece that looks the part but also looks well cared for. Shaping the case and the CG's was up first. The PT cases are a good start, but still need a bit of work to look correct. After the case shaping was done, a 702 crown and tube was fitted and it started to take shape. The lugs and profile were also slimmed down and drilled to accept gen bars. Ordered a WSO bezel assembly and fit that to the case. In most cases, they are a direct fit. This one fought me a bit but in the end it settled nicely and looks great. An aftermarket insert was bought and aged (Ditched the pearl as most from that era were lost and not replaced). The method I use has a nice gradual fade without showing the "bleaching" that you see on most vintage built subs. It has a nice blue haze which is typical of the metal aging in the old inserts Rolex used. A gen 25-127 crystal was put in place(Only after Rob decided he didnt want it) and really sets off the dial nicely. Speaking of which, the dial is from inGod and really is a great dial to start with. I aged the dial using a couple matting and aging techniques and had it relumed with a nice vintage creamy tan with slight browning around the edges. The WSO hands were also aged to show degradation and lumed to match. The silver DW was aged a bit as well and really looks great under the mag. I fitted a 1/2 gen 1/2 Yuki stretch rivet 7206 with gen 80 endlinks and it really looks the part. A lot of work and searching went into this watch and I really think it came out great! Thanks for looking! Now enough about that and onto the pics!

~Jase

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Veryr nice, thanks for sharing. Can't beat the vintage Rollies!

Pratt

24/4/13
Can u make the markers on the dial less yellowish?

Hardwiring

Known Member
17/2/15
I think this is beautiful, this is the only period or style of rolex that does it for me

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Yes, the 1950s to early 1970s were perfect. The glory years, in my opinion.

JoeyT

11/8/14
Hmm I will be watching for this on M2M haha hoping just hoping I get a shot at it

jdog111578

Renowned Member
17/1/14
Thanks everyone!

Yes, the yellow seems a bit too much but in real life is less. All shades are really possible. Here is how it looked when sold earlier in the month. New white DW and other parts swapped. Also a couple other recent builds.

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
Hehe I'm wearing the 1680 this thread is dedicated to and am currently having said amazing modder make me a 1675 and 1665. His work is incredible!!