• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 164 or PAM 390?

juniorlawrence

Known Member
3/1/11
I like the PAM 390 a little better because of the strap and the look of it, but I also like the PAM 164 because it's automatic. It seems like the self winding movement on the PAMs always have some sort of issue sooner or later.

thoughts?

droberts

Renowned Member
17/12/14
I would go for the 390. Simple Classic watch. And beautiful. As far as movement goes. It has the 6497. Which is a very reliable movement. I have 8 PAMS and have had zero problems with the ones that have that movement. The ones with the 7750 I have just had minor issues with.

juniorlawrence

Known Member
3/1/11
I would go for the 390. Simple Classic watch. And beautiful. As far as movement goes. It has the 6497. Which is a very reliable movement. I have 8 PAMS and have had zero problems with the ones that have that movement. The ones with the 7750 I have just had minor issues with.

Yeah the PAM 390 is classic for sure!

bro708

Known Member
21/2/15
I bought a 164 for my first rep a few weeks back and it's away for servicing right now. If you look after an A7750 movement then there's no reason it shouldn't last you a long time from what I've read. They're just usually not very clean/oiled/well assembled from the 'factory' is all and there's more stuff to potentially go wrong than with the A6497.

There's an interesting thread here with a watchmaker's point of view about certain kinds of reps (including PAMS with A7750, chrono & secs @ 9 [164] and PAMS with A6497/8 [390]).

Personally I knew I wanted the 164 before I had any idea what kind of movement was inside it and before finding out how well repped it was, I simply wanted one because it was the PAM that first made me fall in love with PAMs when I saw one in a display case, if and when I ever buy a gen it'll probably be the 164 for this very reason, regardless of how good a copy the rep is.

With hindsight it may have had more to do with the beautiful brown alligator strap it comes on and the general luminor stylings of the watch than anything specifically to do with the 164 itself but there you go, I'm sure there's going to be a big box of reps in the top of my wardrobe soon (I just bought a very nice 243 m2m and already serviced which I'm wearing right now and I've got my eyes on a 000, 448, 292, 351 and 113 already) but if there's ever a gen hidden away in that box of reps it'll definitely be a 164.

Long story short, both watches are very well repped. Personally I'd just go for whichever watch you like best and if you're worried about the A7750 movement then simply bear the extra expense and get it serviced. My 164 cost £260 including WU fees and delivery, £110 to get serviced and if I choose to replace the poorly repped alligator strap with a real one at some point it'll probably cost me another £150 or so. In total that means I'll have paid (actually my wife will have paid as it's a gift) £520-ish for a near perfect and very reliable copy of a £5100 watch. I'm more than happy to pay 10% of the gen price-tag for a watch that I'll enjoy every day.

Or you could just buy both LOL, you know you'll end up with both of them in the end and it'll save on postage, or at least that's what I'd tell myself...

djafactor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/4/14
390 is classic If u want something less shiny a 176 is quite versatile with it's titanium finish and sandwich dial. I just picked up a 177 (same as 176 but with sec. dial). Finding I'm wearing it more than the 390 so I'm thinking of putting it up for sale. If you are interested shoot me a PM, it's hardly been worn and I have all tags, protective covering.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
PAM 390 Noob is a more evolved rep with a reliable movement
Go to 390

ALE

juniorlawrence

Known Member
3/1/11
PAM 390 Noob is a more evolved rep with a reliable movement
Go to 390

ALE

thx AL, I think your right Ill go with the PAM390 just waiting to receive my other watch and strap from PT first before I pull the trigger. I'm gonna have a good selection of watches for the Summer-time!

Bro708- Thx for the insight, sorry to hear your PAM164 is already away for servicing. Good to know.

I already have a PAM111 that I'm gonna throw on a NATO strap so maybe I'll buy the PAM390 and keep it on the brown leather stap since I have a lot of dark watches/bands already.

Thx your for your help

bro708

Known Member
21/2/15
Bro708- Thx for the insight, sorry to hear your PAM164 is already away for servicing. Good to know.

No need to be sorry mate, there's nothing wrong with the watch at all, I just wanted to get it done straight away to make sure it's properly clean, oiled, sealed and re-assembled by a professional to make sure it keeps working well for a long time.

A7750s are notorious for not lasting long from what I've read on here and it has more to do with the conditions they're made under and the people making them than the actual quality of the cloned movement, I'd rather pay a small amount for a servicing now than a lot more trying to source a replacement movement after a short time and then still have to pay to have it modified and fitted. Got my 243 to wear in the mean time anyway...

juniorlawrence

Known Member
3/1/11
Bro708- good idea, your def one step ahead of me! I love the look of these PAM's, and the Lume is strong on these. Liking that 390 to add to my collection

hublotkingpower

Renowned Member
9/12/14
Southeast Asia
Considering I've had a 351 with a tobacco dial, I've found it very hard to match the brown dial with any straps excep maybe the asso which seem to fit perfectly with the colour. Which made me think twice of getting this Noob 390 (want it since its a super rep).. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to get a tobacco dialed watch :)

juniorlawrence

Known Member
3/1/11
Considering I've had a 351 with a tobacco dial, I've found it very hard to match the brown dial with any straps excep maybe the asso which seem to fit perfectly with the colour. Which made me think twice of getting this Noob 390 (want it since its a super rep).. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to get a tobacco dialed watch :)

Thx for that insight! Good to know since I might buy it to just have with NATO straps, that might lean me over to the PAM164..

evilpenguin

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/15
Pam390 is the way to go. It has such a classic, simple look and is just gorgeous with the tobacco dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlcountpau

Known Member
29/1/15
Try check 359 with st2555 or if you want less shine go for 565 with brushed case but it comes with 7750 [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk