• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pugwash's IWC Fliegerchronograph review

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
flieger-review-01.jpg

This review is of the IWC Flieger Chronograph replica currently available. The Flieger line are pilot's watches (Fliegen is German for "To fly", so Fliegerchrono means "Chrono that flies") that IWC has had as part of its history since 1936. This particular model, the 3706, is a 39mm watch that was replaced a few years ago by the 42mm 3717 that's designed to cash in on the popular looks of the Big Pilot, IWC's flagship watch. This simpler design is cleaner than its replacement and appears to have directly inspired several subsequent designs, like Fortis's Flieger design.

flieger-review-02.jpg

The replica has got an Asian 28k 7750 movement without any dial-moving mods, so it should be a sight more reliable than those with moved dials. As long as you follow the usual procedures for using a 7750, you should be fine. All the features of the original are present on the replica: it is functionally identical. I got this one off Sash, so I was comfortable in knowing that if it had died in its first week or so (the telling period for Asian 7750s) then it would be dealt with. Check with your dealer on their policy if this worries you.

flieger-review-03.jpg

The case is brushed steel and fits in with the grey and black feel of this watch. It's classy in its subdued monochrome look. The case is a different depth to the original, but not enough for it to give it away. Also, the replica is missing the deep AR coating on the gen, but it's not milky on a side view so I suspect it's lightly treated, like most replicas.

flieger-review-05.jpg

The crown is a screw-in crown with the familiar IWC fish motif. Both the crown and the pushers are apparently slightly wrong sized, but I think you'd need a gen and a rep side by side to see it.

flieger-review-06.jpg

The strap supplied is exactly the same MooCroc as the one supplied with the IWC Portuguese Chrono. It's a 20mm strap with a brushed clasp. It does the job and I don't plan on replacing it just yet.

flieger-review-04.jpg

The faults and flaws on this watch are pretty much all on the dial. The numbers on the 12 and 9 subdials should all be horizontal, there are three dots missing in the 12 subdial and the 12 and 6 dials should be ringed in white. Apart from that pile of errors, it's damned close. I think a genuine dial would finish it off to a T.

Now, I'm going to do something I don't normally do and that's use someone else's photo without permission. I cropped this photo of the genuine article from one of the magnificent photos from the Joyful Collection website. Click on the photo to see their IWCs in their natural habitat, but be warned it's all in Japanese.

You can see the subdials very clearly on that photo and see where they differ from the replica. While there are faults, as with other replicas, I don't think they're enough to turn me off this watch. I would check, though, before you buy one that it has the correct white hands on the subdials as this is apparently a recent fix. Older models have silver hands that are incorrect.

Conclusion: Good replica (not perfect, but good enough) of a timeless classic.

In closing, I'd like to thank Sashwatch, the supplier of this magnificent timepiece, By-Tor, for not complaining when I ripped off his opening picture style and Ryaku, for pointing out the dial and case differences. Without them, this review would be a lot less interesting.

Edit: My German has been corrected by Seadweller 4000. Another one to add to the thanks. :D
His correction is as follows: In german "Flieger" means pilot, while "fliegen" is translated as flying. So a Fliegeruhr does not mean a watch that flies, but a pilot's watch.

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Fantastic review! Thank you, but now I'll have to get one of these... :D

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
:D Good review Pugwash, pics up to your standard as usual. 'Sharp watch, I'm
going to have to take a closer look at it. :)

Panama

10/9/06
Nice review Pugwash. Your photos are a class of its own, like always.

Thank ya very much, I was waiting for a review like yours all the time...

Cheers
Panama

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Yes... the review & pics are outstanding. These IWC reviews sure make a great base for the upcoming IWC guide.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
By-Tor said:
Yes... the review & pics are outstanding. These IWC reviews sure make a great base for the upcoming IWC guide.
...which is late :(

I'll try to get it done before xmas.

thehorse

Renowned Member
25/4/06
Asia
Bravo! Thanks for this.

Have been looking out for your reviews on the IWC section since the last time I mentioned that the IWC forum was dwindling... 8)

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
thehorse said:
Have been looking out for your reviews on the IWC section since the last time I mentioned that the IWC forum was dwindling... 8)
That's it, I'm afraid, unless they make new-style Aquatimers or a decent accurate Big Pilot. Oh, unless I get tempted by a Jones.

D

d4m.test

WOW :shock:

Thats one sweet watch Pug..and a great review!

Thanks..I WANT ONE..

lincoln

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/7/06
Great review and thanks for pointing out the differences with the gen. As you say, the differences are fairly minor given that the rep is still a very good looking watching. This is definately the next on the list as I'm not getting on with my PO that well, the clasp is just too bulky for those who have their hands on keyboards most of the day. I end up taking it off after a while. This watch looks to be a nice size for those with smaller wrists.

Could you elaborate further on the 'usual procedures' for a 7750?

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
I know this is an old thread, but dammit I love this design. Does anyone know who still carries these?

E

pippo

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/1/10
I wish they could rep this watch properly. I have a gen dial waiting for a decent case.

ztealth

11/8/13
nice reviving a decade old thread lol.
any inflation on that rep ? lol

GNILTIERB

Known Member
28/9/14
Germany & Sweden
I know this is an old thread, but dammit I love this design. Does anyone know who still carries these?

Is it exactly the design of the 3706 that you favour, or is it the general design of IWCs Fliegerchrono's?

Let's have a look at the evolution of the Fliegerchrono:

3706:

DSC06294.jpg

3717:

picture

3777:

PilotsWatch_Chronograph_IW3777_Slideshow.008c1766b90cb37653c5e6b0bbdbc8d6.jpg

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
Is it exactly the design of the 3706 that you favour, or is it the general design of IWCs Fliegerchrono's?

Let's have a look at the evolution of the Fliegerchrono:

3706:

DSC06294.jpg

3717:

picture

3777:

PilotsWatch_Chronograph_IW3777_Slideshow.008c1766b90cb37653c5e6b0bbdbc8d6.jpg

The 3706 is killer. Love the odd hands. Having tried the 3717 and the 3777 I think this 3706 will be a killer watch for me.