• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Asian clone movements need service straight away?

Vorenus

15/2/15
Some say yes, some say no. :wyliehelp:

Sadly I dont have the experience nor the know how about asian mechanical movements so thats why im asking.

To me its feels almost wierd if you have to service your movement the first thing you do when your new watch arrives.

I understand the fact that rep factories cant have the same clean enviroment as Swiss luxury brands but
still....

Anyways if someone have any information about this im sure me and some others will find it usefull.

Oh... almost forgot: Cheers to everyone on this great informative forum. The best if you ask me!

- Vorenus

Dowbs

I'm Pretty Popular
7/2/13
For standard 28XX ETA clones and 6497/8? Nah, probably not. Same with the handwind chronos and Seagull movements, probably same deal with the Sellitas too. Most run fairly healthy from the factories and keep decent time, I say use 'em as they are and if you encounter a problem, then send it for a service. I suppose you can service it if you like, it's your watch, but they don't need it generally speaking. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, etc.

For the notoriously troublesome movements, your call. My personal opinion is that if you're already rolling the dice, you might as well see how long it lasts on its own and then decide what you're going to do if and when it dies on you. They're really a crapshoot, some might service them immediately and still only get a limited life span from it, some will have an unserviced movement for 5+ years with no problems.

D

d4m.test

Depending on Your luck and the quality of Your TD one in ten or one in thirty will need a service on arrival, if:

1. It doesn´t work
2. It runs 1 hour per day late
3. It randomly just stops, even after wearing it for full 3days

These are exceptions, all others will run (at the very least) the first 18 months trouble free.
Instead of servicing, movement replacement is an option for about the same cost.

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
dont service anything that isnt broken imo. Ive had a lot of 7750s and now had 2 with problems, both involving the day/date not turning over.

centrum

27/7/14
I say yes with A7750s and 7750 variants only. I've experienced with all ETA clones and realized that A7750 doesn't come oiled.

adamweby

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/8/12
CONUS
it may make sense if it is a watch you plan to keep for a long time. for example I picked up an AP diver v6 and got a few mods done. service was included on the Asian movement. I don't plan on selling it and want to make sure everything is good to go for years to come.

Milkbread

Known Member
2/9/14
Given the conditions of the 6497, 2824 and 2836 I have dismantled to service, I would really recommend getting the movement serviced. Regardless of whether it is working fine or not. The movements are either not oiled, or oiled way too much, and more often than not have lint, dust, hair in them. Just my 2 cents though.

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
I agree with not servicing it if it's working properly, I'd make an exemption though, If I'll have mods for it, I'll include the servicing along with the modding.

iixxboredumxxii

31/5/12
I mean I think it comes down to you if you want to service it now or later. As some said if you plan to keep it a long time I would service it. As I'm building a datejust and the movement is now being serviced and that was bone dry from the factory so a nice servicing and adjusting to keep it going for a very long time.

freeboy

Renowned Member
10/2/15
I asked this very question to my local watch guy, 25 years in service and rep friendly..
his response was if it keeps good time no service, otherwise....