• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Going Gen... or not

Cenjuro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/1/13
Hello!

Yestarday , looking some steinharts, certina, and sandoz y thought about selling all my reps, and brought some mid quality watches like this.

I have

Pam 390
Pam 210
Pam 292
Ap 15400 miyota
AP diver 3.1
TAg grand carrera steel
Hommage sub (marc and sons)
Breitling avenger blacksteel
Hublot bb 41mm rose gold

I would brought some certina DS diver, Sandoz aviation chrono, and some dressy watch like iwc portofino

what would you do?

I am lawyer... soon or later somebody will look at my wrist, ap or hublot are very noticeable, and it did not like me, i think that would wear more confortable a certina, sandoz, or any cheaper (but nor fake) watch.

I´m confused, so many thougts, my reps did not look so beautifull.

JoeyT

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/14
I say wear what makes you happy. I understand people with a job like yours feel the need to own a watch of "status" but in the long run it's mostly mental. Wear what you like and what you can afford.

zamberla

Renowned Member
21/6/14
You sound like youve had a serious change of heart about your reps as a hobby seeing as you have quite a nice collection.

Maybe a phase?

Like @JoeyT said do as your heart says.

Youll sell them pretty fast on M2M.

Cenjuro

3/1/13
I like pams, omegas, and off course APs... today´s reps are quite good, and i love it, but... i am starting to wear it unconfortabily because people would think i am rich or something

Sbybbuser

I'm Pretty Popular
20/7/12
Sell them and buy gen.
Then one day you will see some reps that you like then you sell your gen to buy reps.
And the cycles keep going on and on.
I would keep some reps and buy a few gens. Wear the gen to works and wear the reps on weekends.

jai04

19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
I think everybody that collects reps at some point has somewhat a dilemma between reps and gen, as said above, wear whatever makes you feel happy and comfortable. I'd personally keep the reps that I really like then buy some gens that I like, so I can still switch between gens and reps. You can wear your reps outside work then gens at work if that will make you comfortable. :D

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
I have no concerns about wearing a rep that would cost $5,000 - $10,000 as a gen. I bought an AP Schumi rep, however, and am having a difficult time becoming comfortable wearing it out and about. Even so, I would not try to pass any of my reps off as gens if questioned. I'm proud of my collection, which includes a couple of gen Breitlings and some 20 reps. The quality of today's reps is so good in general that they still impress people when I tell them what they are.

As a lawyer, you are probably scrutinized more frequently than most of us, so it really becomes a matter of that you are comfortable with. If you're going to be self conscious when wearing a rep PAM, why would you do it?

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
My reps are more expensive than the regular gens people wear. If you ask random people on the street about their watch it's 90% of the time an overpriced shitty quartz watch. :popcorn: Rep or gen doesn't matter to me- it's all about the beauty of a watch and I find those gens in my price range not even close as good as my reps.

ghosty999

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/14
Act your wage... that's my advice. If you can afford it, grab it :)

barth

5/10/12
Wear what you like, as someone above said. As a lawyer, you can most likely feel comfortable wearing anything (well except a ROO with a suit, doesn't fit too well).

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Buy a Gen for work if you feel it's necessary and keep the reps for weekends!

meerkat.jpg

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I say go gen and get some that you really want and make you happy. To me reps are for fun and I don't take them to seriously.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
most people never notice my watch... i wear what i like. all the watches you have listed are great watches at great prices. go gen if it makes you feel better.

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
I polished up my PAM Bronzo over the weekend, as I was unhappy with how the patina was going. EVERYBODY seems to be noticing it now!

youthaginsttt

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/2/15
I agree with some of the others, sell all but your most favourite reps and buy a few gens

If you need a suggestion, a Reverso 1931 or Grande Calendar is the ultimate dress watch and one which'll (probably) never be repped properly. A solid choice

logistic

1/12/14
Recently ive been addicted to vintage watches you can get a nice clean dress watch cheap and keep your reps out of work if you wish. The advantages i have found is if you can get a strong running vintage they tend to be less show boaty, they are smaller and elegant and usally very thin.

Idk something about the way they wear just screams to me "hey this guy knows what hes talking about". If you get caught by a watch enthusiast they will just think hmm nice watch not this guy is pretensous or is that fake.

Idk my 2cents the suggestions you mentioned are really good too. I say if you want it wear it!

logistic

1/12/14
Oh and for work i wear my citizen eco-drive beater proudly lol and i will break out a rep or two but i try to keep it tasteful(most of my co-workers wear watches and know the difference so id feel a bit weird with a rep on times except mabye the weekends as a causal thing.)