• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Wrecking Crew

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
This may only pertain to the older gents but the Wrecking Crew was a collection of the finest studio musicians in Los Angeles back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. From the Beach Boys, Monkees, Sonny and Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, The Byrds, the Fifth Dimension and even Frank Sinatra to name just a few. The Wrecking Crew was about 20 musicians and they were the instruments behind all of the hit music at that time. After clearing many financial hurdles the film entitled The Wrecking Crew will finally be showing in a few select theaters beginning in March. If you love music and get a chance be sure to check it out.

http://www.wreckingcrew.tv/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhl-3EOYTkc

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Yup. I'm gonna see it. Thank's Cybee!

rek0001

1/1/13
Fantastic! I collect vinyl and have and have a lot of records with that Wall of Sound, if you reallly listen it's remarkable arrangements.
Can't believe it's not being shown anywhere around Chicago though.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Fantastic! I collect vinyl and have and have a lot of records with that Wall of Sound, if you reallly listen it's remarkable arrangements.
Can't believe it's not being shown anywhere around Chicago though.

I'm really surprised it's not showing in Chicago too but I know there will be a DVD release soon after the movie. I will be seeing it in West L.A. with five other people. All these years I thought the opening bass riff on Good Vibrations was played by the Beach Boys, but it was a young female bass player named Carol Kaye. Glad to see others are going, should be good.

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
This may only pertain to the older gents but the Wrecking Crew was a collection of the finest studio musicians in Los Angeles back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. From the Beach Boys, Monkees, Sonny and Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, The Byrds, the Fifth Dimension and even Frank Sinatra to name just a few. The Wrecking Crew was about 20 musicians and they were the instruments behind all of the hit music at that time. After clearing many financial hurdles the film entitled The Wrecking Crew will finally be showing in a few select theaters beginning in March. If you love music and get a chance be sure to check it out.

http://www.wreckingcrew.tv/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhl-3EOYTkc

Thanks for this.....What a great reflection on the history of the infancy of Rock and Roll

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
I'm really surprised it's not showing in Chicago too but I know there will be a DVD release soon after the movie. I will be seeing it in West L.A. with five other people. All these years I thought the opening bass riff on Good Vibrations was played by the Beach Boys, but it was a young female bass player named Carol Kaye. Glad to see others are going, should be good.

She doesn't seem to be a fan of the movie or books. She really doesn't like the Kent Hartman book according to the review she wrote on Amazon. I ordered the books anyway. :)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
She doesn't seem to be a fan of the movie or books. She really doesn't like the Kent Hartman book according to the review she wrote on Amazon. I ordered the books anyway. :)

I just read her review, not sure exactly what is going on but maybe she was a little jealous of Hal Blaine for coming up with a good name for them, I dunno. I would think at this stage of the game she wouldn't mind the notoriety. There may have been several hundred talented studio musicians in L.A. at the time but this small bunch of musicians were hand selected by the top artists over the rest of them....I guess now I'll have to buy the book too :D

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I sent this off to a good friend of mine you's really into music and he said:

I know all about this, and donated to it’s production awhile back via Kickstarter. Waiting for my DVD etc. to be mailed. Great stuff!

He's way ahead of us.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
I am in like Flynn....bad ass, thanks.
I remember learning decades ago that Glenn Campbell's real forte was that he was an A list session guitarist..If you don't have someone that enlightens you about or you have an interest and dig around you have NO idea how many hit songs you know that you have no idea who the musicians really ARE on the track. Some guys like this guitarist/producer Dann Huff had a resume of artists and hits songs he played on or produced that would blow your mind. Definitely a modern era Wrecker.

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
The movie is out on TV. I caught the last half of it on AXSTV last night. Looks like it's on again tonight a 10PMEST.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
*repeat of a already peated post* :p

Great docu....and the Wrecking Crews bassist was a chick, Carol Kaye. Glenn Campbell was WC too. Awesome stuff in this musicians opinion.

Kaye was the bassist on many Phil Spector and Brian Wilson productions in the 1960s and 1970
Campbell was in great demand as a session musician. He was part of a group of studio musicians who became known as
The Wrecking Crew.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP] During this period he played on recordings by Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, The Monkees, Nancy Sinatra, Merle Haggard, Jan and Dean,[SUP][9][/SUP]Elvis Presley,[SUP][12][/SUP]Frank Sinatra and Phil Spector.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP]

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
Those were the days...was good to have been a part of it.

DocHolliday

Huckleberry Sales Mod
Advisor
11/2/15
I saw the name of this and laughed. This was the name of our old rugby crew in college.