• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Repair Using Rep Movement - Advice?

Pinkape404

Horology Curious
14/2/15
Hey All, I have a Gen Tank which stopped working. Dealer quoted obscene amount, and some local repair guy wanted $750 to replace the mechanism.

Here is what I am thinking - find a solid rep movement, have it installed and call it a day.

Can someone point me in the right direction of a TD or mod that might handle this in the CONUS. I am physically in LA or NYC (work).
d54378cf5760c9978dc9bad1471ab5d1.jpg
975650fdee6cdf2e8818d242bd343492.jpg

PinkApe is a pseudonym. I am a seasoned tax professional, SEO hobbyist, inventor, philosopher, and independent and free thinker.

airking1975

29/12/08
Do you know the movement model required?or the model reference number for this watch. Can research and find out. It's a cartier decorated ETA movement. Gen ETAs don't cost that much and you can keep some of the cartier deotated parts. Just check out our watch smiths in their section. Katt is in Conus and I bet you he can fix it pretty quick and nowhere near that price you were quoted and you can keep the gen movement

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
If you could let us know the movement, then we can assist further ;)

Pinkape404

Horology Curious
14/2/15
Wow .. Thanks - I didn't realize there was a response on this. Ok how would I be able to tell you this info? I have the watch in my hand ...

PinkApe is a pseudonym. I am a seasoned tax professional, SEO hobbyist, inventor, philosopher, and independent and free thinker.

Pinkape404

Horology Curious
14/2/15
Do you know the movement model required?or the model reference number for this watch. Can research and find out. It's a cartier decorated ETA movement. Gen ETAs don't cost that much and you can keep some of the cartier deotated parts. Just check out our watch smiths in their section. Katt is in Conus and I bet you he can fix it pretty quick and nowhere near that price you were quoted and you can keep the gen movement

Airking - thank you - how can I find out this info?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I assume this is quartz? Get me the model number of the watch and I'll tell you what MVT it is.

Pinkape404

Horology Curious
14/2/15
It is a model 2303 Quartz movement "chronoflex" - attaching additional pictures.

8fd54c9b075e2b5d816a8df8c4c79c14.jpg

airking1975

29/12/08
That is a piaget quartz movement and I am not aware of a direct replacement for it..check the watchmaker section of RWI and reach out to them is my advice.. Not at all familiar with how a quartz movement functions, however often it's a damaged coil.. One of our watchmakers could fix easily perhaps.

Banzairacer

Horology Curious
12/12/10
Not to take away from our fine folks in the watch making department
If you're in Boston. I have a guy that I go to and he is Phenomenal. he has taken care of my gens and reps alike for calibration, cleaning and general service... inexpensive and quick....

http://bostonwatchandclockrepair.webs.com/
his name is Thanh.