• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pam 380 vs 388

wire

Horology Curious
16/9/14
I would like to get my first radiomir, but can't decide between 380 (H-fac) and 388 (KW with seagull). I like both of them, so I need some advice from the experts. In Ale's PAM guide both got the same grade (first class, bordering super rep), but in your opinion which is the better in terms of accuracy, fit and finish, overall quality?
Thx in advance.

WalkerDH

I'm Pretty Popular
14/7/14
Bucharest Romania
I had the same problem as you, at the end I pulled the trigger on a 388O kW V2 with Seagull movement from Torobravos.

Despite the same rating they are 2 different watches.. You have to ask yourself if you prefer Sandwich vs Sausage dial? Data Wheel or not? Automatic vs Manual movement?

I remember reading ding one of Ale reply with a full list of those questions that clearly help me to take my decision...

wire

Horology Curious
16/9/14
Thx for the answers. To be honest the dial or movement question isn't cardinal at all for me. I like the appearance of both watches. Movement isn't important either, till both are quite reliable. This is why I asked about the overall quality of the watches. You know, I'm curious about the GEN-LIKE feel...

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thx for the answers. To be honest the dial or movement question isn't cardinal at all for me. I like the appearance of both watches. Movement isn't important either, till both are quite reliable. This is why I asked about the overall quality of the watches. You know, I'm curious about the GEN-LIKE feel...

You have said the key word!

If you are looking for GEN-LIKE appearance your watch is clearly KW PAM 388. It is one of the best gen-like reps ever made and the nice and smooth combination of colours on dial is awesome. And the finish.... well... you will see it when you get it !
It is impossible to say it is a rep even in direct side by side comparison

ALE

Limztf

13/10/12
Ale has spoken! And I totally agree on the 388 kw v2 seagulls movement!

teoulennon

Renowned Member
17/5/11
388 is next on my list and will be my first pam.
I've never liked them but I figure I should try one out just to make sure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedalpower

2/7/12
I have a 380 that I love. After reading most of the comments on the 388, including Ale's awesome review, I was convinced to get one. I have a 312 which I love as well, and the 388 sounded like a great blend of that and my 380. I went to my AD and tried on the 388 ... surprisingly, I just wasn't moved. The 380 has a charm all its own - it's slimmer than the 388, and surprisingly, the painted dial with bigger numbers, etc., looked much better to me than the 388. I gotta say, I was surprised. Even though the 388 may be a better rep, automatic, and have a date, I found the 380 to be the more pleasing Radiomir. I would suggest test driving both of them in person if you can before choosing as they have different charms.

While I was there, I tried on the 389 too. In spite of its daunting 47mm size and barely hanging onto 1st class rep status, that's the one I'm ordering next. It's just beautiful.

Good luck with your decision. I'm going to upgrade the original rep strap on my 380 and be even more pleased, me thinks!

wire

Horology Curious
16/9/14
Thx for all the answers, guys. Sadly I don't have a chance to get them in my hand before ordering. One day maybe I'll own both of them, but I think the 388 will be the first. A bit later... Coz an evil 243 has already overtook them. :courage:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
I have a 380 that I love. After reading most of the comments on the 388, including Ale's awesome review, I was convinced to get one. I have a 312 which I love as well, and the 388 sounded like a great blend of that and my 380. I went to my AD and tried on the 388 ... surprisingly, I just wasn't moved. The 380 has a charm all its own - it's slimmer than the 388, and surprisingly, the painted dial with bigger numbers, etc., looked much better to me than the 388. I gotta say, I was surprised. Even though the 388 may be a better rep, automatic, and have a date, I found the 380 to be the more pleasing Radiomir. I would suggest test driving both of them in person if you can before choosing as they have different charms.

While I was there, I tried on the 389 too. In spite of its daunting 47mm size and barely hanging onto 1st class rep status, that's the one I'm ordering next. It's just beautiful.

Good luck with your decision. I'm going to upgrade the original rep strap on my 380 and be even more pleased, me thinks!

We are talking about reps
Regarding gens I agree that PAM 380 is slimmer, nicer and more elegant. Unfortunately PAM 380 rep has not the gen-like appearance of KW PAM 388

ALE

superfolex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/2/11
We are talking about reps
Regarding gens I agree that PAM 380 is slimmer, nicer and more elegant. Unfortunately PAM 380 rep has not the gen-like appearance of KW PAM 388

ALE

I have the gen 380, and id have to agree with ALE, the rep of the 380 does not provide the gen-like feel and appearance. There is often too much space in the crown area as well, as the rep often protrudes too much relative to the gen. Many people do not notice this, but i think if appearance and feel is the variable you're wanting to optimize, this really puts it off.

Sent from my iP**** using Tapatalk

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
I have the gen 380, and id have to agree with ALE, the rep of the 380 does not provide the gen-like feel and appearance. There is often too much space in the crown area as well, as the rep often protrudes too much relative to the gen. Many people do not notice this, but i think if appearance and feel is the variable you're wanting to optimize, this really puts it off.

So the only thing that makes it un-gen-like is because there is too much space in the crown area? With "feel", do you mean the softness of the case, or.....?

superfolex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/2/11
So the only thing that makes it un-gen-like is because there is too much space in the crown area? With "feel", do you mean the softness of the case, or.....?

Well, its not only that, but the minute difference in details here and there makes it feel like its not gen. I think the reason why we aren't satisfied with many reps is that it doesnt quite feel gen. Then we go off to the watch trade/sale section to sell it off. Tbh i for one never kept any of the reps i purchased thus far. But one of the pams i still have regrets over selling is the pam111, which i think on the wrist is good. Well sometimes i do think of repurchasing the 292, but there are problems with the crown as the movement and the wires in there do not have the same construction, so the space is there. I'm not sure if many other members notice it, but the protruding crown makes me uncomfortable wearing a rep as such. It simply doesnt give the feel of a gen. Dont know about the softness of the case mate, stainless is pretty hard to me ;)

SheriffWho

Renowned Member
4/6/13
388 kw v2 is definitely awesome!

D6CD4D7C-C4B3-4AB4-B056-47DA4A8E65D2_zpsccpuecyv.jpg

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks superfolex, that is exactly what I mean

ALE

PAKITO

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/15
España
You have said the key word!

If you are looking for GEN-LIKE appearance your watch is clearly KW PAM 388. It is one of the best gen-like reps ever made and the nice and smooth combination of colours on dial is awesome. And the finish.... well... you will see it when you get it !
It is impossible to say it is a rep even in direct side by side comparison

ALE

In your opinion is better KW 388 than ZF?
IMO the inscriptions are closer to gen in ZF.
FRAN