• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is this the best 6263 paul newman daytona?

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
That Venus movement is a true workhorse. Regarding the dial and sub dial spacing, and etc., well, the true 'Daytona experts" here will have to chime in.

Reactions: Jxtanner

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
The reason the PN in that link doesn't have bleeding sub dials is because the case is bigger. TDs are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to quoting case size, and this is no more true than with vintage Daytonas. Look at the chrono pushers... they're evenly spaced on either side of the crown. This is a dead giveaway for a bigger case. Toro quotes 38mm, but its actually closer to 39 or 40mm. The true 37s will have uneven pushers (like gens), but in a PN model the sub dials will bleed just about every time. Having said that, the bigger case isn't a bad option for a couple reasons: first, most people find the diminutive size of a vintage Daytona too small, and second, with Paul Newmans, the bigger case avoids the dreaded sub dial bleed (if you can stand even pushers, that is). Also, these bigger models that are non-PNs have sub dial spacing that's pretty close to perfect - but again, with even pushers.

So, one must decide which flaw-compared-to-gen they can live with - bigger case, even pushers, bleeding sub dials. Only way to avoid them all is to nab a DW (though not completely perfect itself), or go gen, of course. :)

Here's my 7-year-old Big Red, with bigger case, even pushers, and unfixed 6 hand... but look at that sub dial spacing!! :)

D2A043EB-395E-4747-B6A5-C806B441B3D7_zpsbtzerhs7.jpg

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Oh, forgot to add, the sub dial hands are ALWAYS too fat. But modding them with thinner hands is possible, inexpensive, and makes a tremendous difference.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Ish has all the vintage Daytonas. :lol:

i have a 6265 trop dial (brown sub dials). It's not a 1:1 copy for sure. It def has tells but the odds of you running in to someone who's seen a gen is pretty unlikely.

The only thing that really bothers me is the thick sub dial hands. Not really sure why they do that. The factories have thinner sub dial hands that fit a st19. The speedy rep uses them. Why not just use the same thin hands?

I'm still hoping someone will sell a dead speedy for parts So I can snag some thin sub dial hands.

Only other option is hope you run in to a DW Daytona. Those are about as good as Daytona reps get. About twice the price and a lot rarer.

vader1

Known Member
22/12/13
Ish has all the vintage Daytonas. :lol:

i have a 6265 trop dial (brown sub dials). It's not a 1:1 copy for sure. It def has tells but the odds of you running in to someone who's seen a gen is pretty unlikely.

The only thing that really bothers me is the thick sub dial hands. Not really sure why they do that. The factories have thinner sub dial hands that fit a st19. The speedy rep uses them. Why not just use the same thin hands?

I'm still hoping someone will sell a dead speedy for parts So I can snag some thin sub dial hands.

Only other option is hope you run in to a DW Daytona. Those are about as good as Daytona reps get. About twice the price and a lot rarer.
and from what i heard lot of reliability issues with dw's daytona? thats the main reason i try to avoid

bc1221

30/4/14
i think the big selling point with DW daytonas were that you can put a gen v72 in there.

idk. i stay away from chronos unless they have ST19s in them but ive read the DW daytonas were a lot more reliable than the standard A7750

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
i think the big selling point with DW daytonas were that you can put a gen v72 in there.

idk. i stay away from chronos unless they have ST19s in them but ive read the DW daytonas were a lot more reliable than the standard A7750
This is right. If you got the $2-$4k, the world is your oyster! ...get it? Oyster?? :D

bc1221

30/4/14
Hey. $2-$4k for almost a perfect rep of a $50k watch isn't bad.

vader1

Known Member
22/12/13
The reason the PN in that link doesn't have bleeding sub dials is because the case is bigger. TDs are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to quoting case size, and this is no more true than with vintage Daytonas. Look at the chrono pushers... they're evenly spaced on either side of the crown. This is a dead giveaway for a bigger case. Toro quotes 38mm, but its actually closer to 39 or 40mm. The true 37s will have uneven pushers (like gens), but in a PN model the sub dials will bleed just about every time. Having said that, the bigger case isn't a bad option for a couple reasons: first, most people find the diminutive size of a vintage Daytona too small, and second, with Paul Newmans, the bigger case avoids the dreaded sub dial bleed (if you can stand even pushers, that is). Also, these bigger models that are non-PNs have sub dial spacing that's pretty close to perfect - but again, with even pushers.

So, one must decide which flaw-compared-to-gen they can live with - bigger case, even pushers, bleeding sub dials. Only way to avoid them all is to nab a DW (though not completely perfect itself), or go gen, of course. :)

Here's my 7-year-old Big Red, with bigger case, even pushers, and unfixed 6 hand... but look at that sub dial spacing!! :)

D2A043EB-395E-4747-B6A5-C806B441B3D7_zpsbtzerhs7.jpg
thx very much! where did u get yours and from which maker? http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=DAYTONA&product_id=1048 only thing i found is this one which seems far worse.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
What do you mean by "bleeding subdials" ?
Off-set into the minute track ?

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Gottcha !
Thanks !

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
Thanks for the informative thread! Bigger case and even pushers without the bleeding dials for me!