• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} - The Franken PAM001C

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

I was recently doing a franken PAM001C Build and it occurred to me that I do something routinely in my builds that are ignored by the Chinese factories. The gold plated hour wheel.

It might seem like a miniscule detail, but if you know what you're looking for, it is easily seen and a major tell of non-OEM parts.

Master Marlin incorporates this detail in his PAM127 builds amount others, that make his movement SCARY gen like. You might notice the reference to the hour wheel being brass, but as far as I know, Panerai uses an actual gold plated wheel.

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=109296

I'm not saying anything new that Marlin hasn't already covered, but it hit me that this is such an obvious thing, why not try to get the makers to step up their game?

Anyway, now that I've brought that up, I might as well show you my completed franken...

It started life as a PAM247 Ferretti I added a Sead CG, Jakob caseback and a Genuine PAM001C L SWISS L dial

The PAM247I is actually a very lovely rep. I almost wanted to wear it as for a while before tearing it down.

The Gen PAM001C dial is actually quite close in quality to the modern reps from Noob. The major difference is the fact that OEM Panerai dials are based on a coinage stamped brass plate. This stamping produces rounded edges on the numbers and markers. Rep makers haven't come close to that yet.

The lume is stunning, but again not far off of current Noob or H factory Lume

Now time for the finishing details on the movement. I didn't do a lot, but it was fun to do some easy things to make the build more gen like
I brushed the keyless cover, installed the gold H3 hour wheel and flattened/polished the cannon pinion

Pressed the hands

Greased the seals

She's ready

Then there's the usual CG work. I mainly flatten the pin, I haven't really gotten into the chamfering yet.... that's the next evolution

Here you can see the gold hour wheel peaking out. It's pretty obvious on sunny days, but no sun on this day.

Jakob does it again!!!

Hope you enjoyed the read

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
Bam!, once again all the right parts. You make it look so easy!

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
Very very good! Excellent work mate, my compliments. I hope to find a gen 001 dial to build the same watch. Why havent you used a Noob case? HF is better? Second hand was painted?

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
I really like this little details too make a perfect watch.
And the strap looks also nice.

Sent from my iPhone 6

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
I have to ask: how much work to fit the CG to the case? I've had situations in which some filing is required and some that Sead's CG just lands perfectly.

Pamwatcher

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/6/14
Belgium
Thanks for sharing! Amazing result. Is it as easy as it looks? I mean, could everyone do this, or do you sometimes have problems such as movements that don't fit, dials that don't fit, adjusments to be made etc.?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks Grim for sharing this magnificent build

It is very interesting the reminder about the golden hour wheel many times forgotten although it is an obvious flaw in reps.

And no less interesting the sausage dial and your explanations. As you say some rep makers as Noob are making some good jobs in last sausage dials, but this nice rounded upper edge is not yet achieved. And of course the gen flat lume application is far from the "sausage" of the reps. Rep maker will need working hard to get the gen sausage dials appearance. This is, of course, one of the pending matters in PAM rep manufacture

Your franken looks awesome. Congrats

Thanks again

ALE

REP points added
I will include this link in the data-sheet of PAM 001 L SWISS L in PAM GUIDE