• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TC v6 problem.

Bustyouup4free

Renowned Member
1/2/14
hello, So I've had my v6 about 5 months now. Already sent it back for the infamous reversing wheel problem. Now it's developing another issue. When I try to manually wind, sometimes the gear engages. sometimes it doesn't engage. and sometimes it's slipping and not fully catching. what should I do...? I'm guessing that TC might not fix it for free... but maybe I should ask if he can take a look. I'm on a low budget... maybe i should open her up and if so, what do I look for? > anyone have a detailed breakdown of a TC movement or 2824-2 ... any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks ahead :)

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
What you describe comes from too tight tube seals TC uses (as he describes him self on his blog). Buy a set of new seals from Clark and install them. I put them in mine and it did wonders!
1. Unscrew the crown
2. leave it in it's position. Don't put it in date set/ time adjust position.
3. Unscrew the case back
4. Depress the pin that's holding the winding stem in place and gently pull the stem outwards of the case.
5. Swap the o-rings in the tube and lube them with silicone oil/ grease
6. Reinsert the stem and try to apply light pressure on it. Do NOT try to put it in with force.
7. If it doesn't want to snap in properly the first time pull it out and try to get it into place again. Be gentle!
8. Lube your case back gasket with silicone oil/ grease and screw the case back in place.
9.You're done!
This is a 10 dollar fix.
At this instance I would consider putting in a genuine crown or one of the noob V2/V3 as they turned out to be of very high quality as well to me.

tc670207

Known Member
14/11/11
It doesn't sound like a movement problem. It does sounds like the tube seals, yes there are two of them in the tube, are rubbing against the crown stem so the crown clutch are not engaged.

A simple 1 second fix is when you unscrew the crown, give it another half turn counter clock wise to let the crown clutch to engage. Simple fix.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
yea.. happens to mine sometimes. just unwind a little more after you know its off the tube.

Bustyouup4free

Renowned Member
1/2/14
thanks for the replies... I actually have a 703 crown purchased from Rsh on its way now. I will be swapping it. but maybe I'll wait and pick up some Clark seals and do it at the same time. i just ran out of grease too. so I'll be ordering that. looks like I'll be busy the next few weekends. on a side note how exactly do I get the crown off. how are the threads on the stem? TC your work is amazing and my watch has barely any wrist time in 6 months. Im a heating guy here in Germany and would destroy it at work. Worth every penny even just for weekends. Have my gen insert on since day 1. must have in my opinion... crown on its way. coming soon gen non lec xtal. :)

rsh

3/4/10
If you order them from clark just ask him for the 703 crown stem o seals, they are the same ones he sells for inside the tube.

This all stems from the tight tolerances of the TC case. The 2824 has a recessed datewheel so the dwo has to be propped up a tad to have it clear the keyless cover etc. Then TC uses a small spacer to lift the dial up so it does not rub the top of the dwo. This causes the stem to be a tad low in position, hence the tube seals "seem" too tight.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
WOW I think I have the same problem. Now I hope I can get TC to do this for me as I don't want anyone touching TCs watch. I wonder if I pay for the parts if he will do it. The first time I noticed this was when I first got the watch a week or two ago. What I noticed was that my crown would sometimes fall out of date mode and into wind mode. I had read how to operate the movement at least once before I got the watch so I knew to unwind the crown and back it up a little before attempting to wind it but what baffled me was the why it would not stay in date mode. Last night when I got home from work the watch was not running so I tried to wind it and even though I backed the crown up at least a full turn , When I started to wind it ,it felt very light like it was not engaged, so I backed it up again and I could feel it engaged and winding. So that's where I'm at. HELP

bc1221

30/4/14
Sounds like your clutch is not working right. If you just got it from TC, I'd talk to him. It may be as simple as swapping the crown.

I'm with ya though. I have no problem taking apart any other watch I have but I get nervous working on the TC. :lol:

When I first got mine, the crown would slip and it didn't like to go to setting position but after a few months, it's pretty smooth. Aside from that, it's been problem free.

If TC can't help ya maybe hit up ko67 or mieskpeid.

Good luck.

Bustyouup4free

Renowned Member
1/2/14
I swapped out the seals with a set of Clark's. then finished it off with a Gen 703 crown I picked up from Rsh. Seems to have done the trick. unfortunately I marred up my caseback teeth while opening her up... might have to order a new one when I swap in my Gen xtal ;)

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I sent TC an email but since it's the holidays over here (Thanksgiving) I don't expect to hear from him till next week. No big deal after Thursday thanksgiving I need to get the Christmas decorations out. I think I'm getting to old for climbing ladders and putting up lights but I will.

Bustyouup4free

Renowned Member
1/2/14
I sent TC an email but since it's the holidays over here (Thanksgiving) I don't expect to hear from him till next week. No big deal after Thursday thanksgiving I need to get the Christmas decorations out. I think I'm getting to old for climbing ladders and putting up lights but I will.
Well happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I'm actually from Seattle. Just happen to live in Germany just about 2 years now. Reminds me to call my family tomorrow. and about TC... I'm sure he's busy. I would give him a few days. Then if you don't hear back he's most likely busy. shoot him another email ;) . he's always been good to me. I'm sure he'll respond when he can. busy man ;)

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I ended up sending my V6 LN to BK for a Genuine crown and insert. Now its perfect and done in a week. You wont beat that.

Bustyouup4free

Renowned Member
1/2/14
yeah I've had my Gen insert (day 1 install) & tube and crown (just over a month) now I'm only waiting for a Gen 25-295c lec w/o AR to pop up in VIP m2m or normal m2m sales. After I have that I'm ordering a eta 2824-2 elabore off eBay sending it to Domi and having him swap the h4 cp into my new swiss :). then I'll be finished.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
yeah I've had my Gen insert (day 1 install) & tube and crown (just over a month) now I'm only waiting for a Gen 25-295c lec w/o AR to pop up in VIP m2m or normal m2m sales. After I have that I'm ordering a eta 2824-2 elabore off eBay sending it to Domi and having him swap the h4 cp into my new swiss :). then I'll be finished.

See now these are all good ideas for mine in the future! Being that I'm very OCD I'm making a To Do list. Thanks for the additions, Would a Yuki 3135 work?