• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sea-Dweller dial selection help

crwilsn

18/5/13
Just found a early gen 16660 Sea-Dweller that at some point in its history had its original matte dial replaced with a gloss service dial. This was factored into the price so I was fine with it. Original dials have gone into crazy territory (3k+) so I am planning on replacing the dial with a good quality refinished dial.

To be honest, I would rather go the refinished route anyway. With the crazy prices being asked I would rather be certain I am getting what I paid for. Plus my intent for this watch is to wear it as designed, including for diving. Rather not take a chance on an expensive original dial.

So I have narrowed it down to two dials. I looked a yuki but it is too far off to put on a gen watch. The options available are

Minhq

17a1a3f34b2aef91073a4ea0c68b338f.jpg

And NDT

3cdd9d8cdd822741be9dcdf04391b85e.jpg

Here is a gen for comparison

dfa1eaa4a0162851b239e566629143da.jpg

Originally I thought the Minh was going to be the easy choice but something looks off in the text on that dial. Serifs look too big and the letters do not appear to line up great. It is more likely to be the one with the real plate and his dials are somewhat legitimate for non collectors. The NDT on the other hand looks good and I prefer the darker lume but not sure this was ever a gen plate.

Any opinions or reviews from other dial purchases?

Thanks,
Clay

crwilsn

18/5/13
Watch came in today and it is exactly as expected. Passed all the gen 16660 tests and looks like a nice but well worn example. Plan is a sympathetic restoration and wear as a tool watch like it was designed as.

f40d1d3c15bf8b4f6354c0c8c90af871.jpg

I may reconsider the yuki dial though as if I ever find a gen dial, it would be a shame to have dropped $500 on an interim dial with very little market. Yuki dial is not terrible though it can immediately be identified as aftermarket. Only $105 including hands.

7e3f5378ebed7ce281b6cee3217d7c28.jpg

Either way I am going to polish it up a bit and wear it for while to decide whether the new dial is necessary to enjoying the watch.

mapman57

I'm Pretty Popular
2/4/10
If it was me I would just enjoy it as it is?

Why on earth not to?

Looks like it could be service dial hands and insert so why mess with it?

Do you have any service papers with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crwilsn

18/5/13
It's definitely a service dial.

I do think the white gold surrounds completely change the character of the watch. I wish rolex had put maxi plot luminova dials in for service rather that ones that match the later watches. Hopefully I can find a good deal on a original one but in the interim, I may swap in a refinished dial. To me it's more correct having a refinished dial that looks like what the watch came with rather than a service dial that makes it look like a 16600.

crwilsn

18/5/13
Here are the post clean up shots.

First off though a public service announcement. Give your watches a quick clean before you sell them. Washing out dead skin is not my idea of a good way to bond with my new watch. I didn't remove the bezel, and I am scared of due to how much gunk I will find when I do.

Sorry for the ipad pictures but it's the best I have at the moment.

7usasaga.jpg

e5yty7yz.jpg

Decent amount of stretch but not bad for a 30 year old watch.

ynasates.jpg

I will add some shots later of this compared to my Rep SD. Quick look shows the rep to be quite good.

crwilsn

18/5/13
Ok I looked again, there is now way a yuki dial is ever getting near this watch.

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
I'd wear it as is until you get what you want.

crwilsn

18/5/13
Well I decided to try the yuki dial as it was so cheap, I could throw it away if disappointed. I put it on and am quite happy with the result. I am still looking for a mk 2 matte dial but can live with the look until I find the correct dial.

beb0c2047ffec56e1d2a935ea0d7aeb8.jpg

benjji

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/13
nice Crwlsn!

mine its not vintage matte dial.. but glossi luminova for latest 16600 version..

nevertheless you're right, very expansive sd' gen dial .. for me it was a sacrifice the cost for gen dial and hands, but i'm yet so excited

ok3_zps80e0bee0.jpg

IMG-20140821-WA004_zpsdee351e9.png