• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to Replace BP Omega PO Ceramic Titanium Bezel Insert (Updated Batch November '13)

Luc717

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/13
I recently replaced the bezel insert on my BP Omega PO Cr Ti 45mm and thought I would show you guys what it looks like inside and share some advice.

Differences in the bezel
I bought my Titanium PO in October 2013 and BP updated it with a new batch in November, so I was a little unlucky! Andrew @ Trusty has confirmed that these were updated and said that BP claimed everything was new. I’m not sure I believe the case has been changed, but the bezel insert clearly has been and perhaps the dial too. The pearl is now centred and much improved, but the most important part is that the bezel insert is now made from CERAMIC! For me, the insert was the only thing that didn’t quite sit right with this rep. It wasn’t really the right colour – too dark and had a greenish blue colour – and lacked the Liquidmetal shine as per the gen. I was still pleased with it but having fitted the new insert, it has made a HUGE difference to the overall appearance. The bezel now shines like it’s made from glass, has that greyish hue to it in low light and the brighter paler blue colour in bright light. The numbers/markings are also slightly finer. It has really improved the watch to no end and it feels far more gen-like to me. To anyone who bought their BP PO Cr Ti before November 2013, I seriously recommend doing this. Anyone can do it. Andrew sold me the bezel insert for a reduced price since the original I bought from him was so bad, but I think it normally costs $30-40. The only negative is that the grey markings are still only painted on and are liable to be scratched off through bumps and general wear/tear, as dredd0606 (on RWI) has found out. No clear coat on top. If you want any more convincing on whether to change your bezel, have a look at the other thread I have posted with pics and a video in the Omega section.

How to remove the old insert
I tried to take the bezel insert out by warming it up with a hair dryer (to soften the glue) and levering out the insert with a razor blade, following advice from forum members (thank you Sputim!). I attempted to lever out the insert with a knife but couldn’t get the damn thing out. Worried I was going to slip and scrape the watch, I ended up drilling into the pearl using a gimlet tool and pulling it out. This worked extremely well, once the gimlet’s threaded part had a grip it came out easily. Warming up the glue no doubt made this much easier.

How to attach the new insert
I used Unibond Extreme Power Glue and spread this using a wooden cocktail stick. Using glue was a BAD IDEA! This was because:

a.) it left a residue in the gap around the insert (looks like dust in the pictures), although most of this dropped off over time and it now looks fine

b.) it’s too permanent, if anything isn’t right when you’re done, you can’t change it without damaging the bezel

c.) it doesn’t lift up the insert to make it properly meet the crystal/bezel. If you look in my photos, you can see the bezel now sticks out slightly over the insert, particularly near the pearl. It’s more obvious in these photos than it is in real life and I’ve learnt to live with it, but it’s not perfect.

Sputim mentioned on RWG that he changed his bezel insert and used double sided tape. This is what I would recommend. The factory appeared to use a circular adhesive insert rather than wet glue (the type that has a glue on both sides) and this evenly lifts the insert by about 0.5mm, thereby eliminating problem (c). This is also helpful as this new updated insert seems slightly thinner than the old one, so it needs the extra lift. Double sided tape would also allow you to change it if anything isn’t perfect, thereby eliminating problem (b.). Of course no problem (a) either. You just need to make sure you use a very strong tape to avoid the insert falling out and clean out all the old glue to get the height of the insert right.

Right, I hope that helps anyone who wants to attempt this. Here are the photos of the process. Be sure to check out the photos and video I have posted in my separate review thread to see how it looks in various levels of light. Full res photos available on Flickr here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjSUkgZt (full screen the photo then right click)

You can see the adhesive ring/glue they have used here. Part of it has come off with the old insert, which is why the new bezel now doesn’t sit correctly, as shown in photos below

You can see the adhesive ring/glue they have used here. Part of it has come off with the old insert, which is why the new bezel now doesn’t sit correctly, as shown in photos below

Comparison of bezels

Bit of glue residue on the crystal that wiped off - another reason for not using wet glue!

The unevenness of the insert is most clear in this photo, with the rim of the bezel sticking out over the pearl. It’s not anywhere near this obvious in real life but still something that could be easily avoided/corrected by using tape or less permanent adhesive.

The finished job:

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Of the bezels I've removed, Ploprof and DSSD, the factory application method was the same- two sided tape. I had been using a heat gun and leather gloves to loosen the inserts, then an X-acto knife to pry it out. This worked very well for me. Luther suggested using a soldering iron to heat the insert enough to soften the insert. Makes sense to me. Removing all the glue is important. When it comes to glue, less is more. As long as it's not water soluble, it doesn't take much to keep the insert in place.

Luc717

11/8/13
Thanks ThinkBachs, I think I'll have to purchase an Xacto at some point as I can't think of anything thinner. Something plastic would be preferable really. I'll try warming it up again soon and see if I can push the bezel round from the pearl. If it starts to budge then I should be able to get it off fairly easily. The glue I used isn't very good and I didn't use much, so hopefully it will soften up. I didn't remove all the old glue as I needed it to help push up the bezel to the correct height. Using a soldering iron on a watch scares me so I'll stick to a hair dryer! But that got it extremely hot after a few minutes, too hot to touch without gloves. When you say double sided tape was the factory application, was this visible or did it just look like adhesive/glue like mine? Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll have a crack at it soon.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Nice tips for bezel insert mounting guys. .............. by the way for what it's worth, I happen to use a super glue gel meant to repair broken liquor glasses that says "waterproof" and "dishwasher proof" on the label. Works great and I have 5 minutes for fine adjustments in case I miss centering it. Good strong bond after 24 hours. Available at craft stores and larger hardware stores in your city.

Luc717

11/8/13
Thanks for the info guys, both better options than what I used! Posting this to another forum so will post it here in case it's of use to anyone...

mu8evyme.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernesto Che

27/5/14
hi, someone can tell me where to buy the bezel insert in blue ceramic, thanks:baby2:

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Try asking someone of the dealers, preferable the one you bought the watch from. Its your best chance since aftermarket ones haven't appeared yet...

Luc717

11/8/13
Hi Ernesto, you can get the bezel insert by emailing any of the trusted dealers. I got mine from Andrew @ Trusty Time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trevsdad

Renowned Member
5/1/13
Definitely try the TD you bought the watch from. I did this recently for a CrPO 45 to replace the infamous 'faded bezel'. I expected to pay something, but knowing the problem many have had with this, he shipped it right away...free!
hi, someone can tell me where to buy the bezel insert in blue ceramic, thanks:baby2:

trevsdad

Renowned Member
5/1/13
BTW, assuming this is also applicable to the CrPO 45mm...I've been searching for this for awhile...sticky maybe?

helmet993

Horology Curious
11/10/09
Hey Luc if you are still watching this thread.

I just sourced a BP Ti 45mm model and the bezel insert sits low in the bezel. I'm leery about removing the bezel as I do not want to scar up the case.

Is it possible to remove the bezel without damaging the insert so the insert could be reaffixed at an equal level to the bezel?

I didn't notice this in QC pics, I think maybe the TD did a good job of hiding it.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
The bezel on the POs are actually pretty easy to take off because the edge sits fairly high away from the case. Not like a sub.

I took mine off the other day just to see if I could. I had a thin polishing cloth between my fingers and the watch. Gripped the ends with my finger tips and just pulled up. Work your way around the watch and the bezel will just pop up.

Not really sure why op didn't remove the bezel to swap inserts. I think that would have been a lot easier. You'd have to install the new insert with the bezel on to get the alignment right. I would have been terrified to put glue on my bezel with it on the watch.

Luc717

11/8/13
Bc1221, good to know it's easy to do. I've seen a number of threads where people have replaced PO inserts using the method above, so that's why I did it that way. I was concerned that in removing the whole bezel, there may be moving parts that could become lost/damaged. I will use your method when I get round to re-adjusting mine. Are there any springs under the bezel that I should be aware of?

Helmet993, since mine hasn't come out perfectly and was very difficult to adjust once the glue set, I would recommend taking off the whole bezel if it comes off fairly easily. Maybe let us know how you get on? I would also recommend using double sided tape rather than glue. Less permanent and helps fill up some space under the insert

bc1221

30/4/14
Na. It's not like a sub. You put a thin cloth between the bezel and the case and pry it around with a butter knife or case opener if you have one. There's a retention ring that prevents it from turning the other way but it's one piece and very easy to put back.

I wish you had pulled this bezel without breaking it. I would have bought it off ya!

JR001

Horology Curious
9/6/14
Hmm.. I have one of these with the older type bezel, have to do some work on it anyway since apparently the hands were touching each other and have slightly scratched each other. I hope I can still get one of these new bezels and a new set if hands... will report back here when I do. Thnx for the tips guys.

JR001

Horology Curious
9/6/14
Contacted Andrew, unfortunately he indicated he is not able to supply the newer bezel insert (anymore). Anybody have any other ideas?

I might still opt for this nice blue rubber straps to use next to my Ti bracelet.

bc1221

30/4/14
Ryan at intime just shipped my BP CrPO bezel. You might wanna see if the new bezel fits first.