• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 Expert please help! Crystal replacement etc.

maxmsu

19/5/06
Got this watch from another member here, to be my vintage project, not sure which version this is.
Bathed the watch and cleaned it, then water got in, 1st picture around 10-11 oclock you can see there is a drop of water....
Took everything apart and try to pop up the crystal, apparently it was cracked somehow before I take it out, broke it (need to get it replaced anyway), could you expert please help me with finding the right replacement?

http://stores.ebay.com/Clark-Watch-...ub=8506759&_sid=9779519&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

The crystal does not require the gasket/plastic ring to hold it, not sure about the vintage models, it seems like it was just pressed to the case. I am not confident this will be waterproof... ideas? Or this is just the way it is?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

image.jpeg

image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
Crown guards have the stubby cartel look but the bezel construction is not cartel. Hmm... what are the markings between the lugs?

maxmsu

19/5/06
I am confused... someone please help before I order 25-127 Clark Crystal as suggested.

DVNE

7/11/12
Order it. I saw the pics you posted on RWG. It is a cartel case. That will fit. Order away!

This picture confused me. Looked like a old school paper clip bezel assembly
image.jpeg

DVNE

7/11/12
The crystal does not require the gasket/plastic ring to hold it, not sure about the vintage models, it seems like it was just pressed to the case. I am not confident this will be waterproof... ideas? Or this is just the way it is?

Basically the crystal pops on the case and the metal ring secures the crystal to the case. There is no gasket like the modern Rolex Sub. This is how the gen 1680's are too

maxmsu

19/5/06
Thank you DVNE!

I will order it right away, however, I have also ordered some GS Hypo Cement, should I apply a small amount to secure the crystal to make it more waterproof?

Basically the crystal pops on the case and the metal ring secures the crystal to the case. There is no gasket like the modern Rolex Sub. This is how the gen 1680's are too

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Not to confuse the OP, but is there much of a difference between the Clark and the equivalent Sternkreuz besides price? I'm looking to replace the crystal on my 1680.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I've found Clark and Sternkreuz crystals to be pretty similar TBH. It really depends on the model as to which is best, I think the 15-127 from Clark is nice, where as the Sternkreuz T-19 is better...

Fixing the crystal on with Hypo will hold it on and, if applied all around, provide a water-tight seal. Do trial fit the crystal first though and do your water resistance test without the movement and face in!

I've found a couple of times that the crystals can need some file work to get them to fit and allow the bezel assemble to go on. I'd order 2 cyrstals to be on the safe side and you might also want to pick up a cheap crystal press to get it on straight.

Good luck.

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
I've found Clark and Sternkreuz crystals to be pretty similar TBH. It really depends on the model as to which is best, I think the 15-127 from Clark is nice, where as the Sternkreuz T-19 is better...

Fixing the crystal on with Hypo will hold it on and, if applied all around, provide a water-tight seal. Do trial fit the crystal first though and do your water resistance test without the movement and face in!

I've found a couple of times that the crystals can need some file work to get them to fit and allow the bezel assemble to go on. I'd order 2 cyrstals to be on the safe side and you might also want to pick up a cheap crystal press to get it on straight.

Good luck.
+1

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
That's great info. Thanks guys. I've got the Puretime red 1680 and I plan to put a T19 on it. The watchsmith I used previously tried installing a Clark T19 and it cracked after he slid the plastic gasket back on. This time around I want to do it myself with a Sternkreuz.

I went to Ofrei and they have several different options to choose from. I'm not on there now, but I think there were a couple different gasket sizes? I think 30.48 is sticking in my head for some reason and the other was 30.35 or something like that? Maybe I was misreading the listings since Clark just sells one size and then you choose superdome or service dome. :/

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Now I might get this a bit wrong, but the principle should be the same...!

I was putting a new crystal on a 1665 and had a couple of domes in my box. Two were standard and one was a service dome (with the "squarer" profile?). I offered them all up to the watch and bezel, and found one fit the case but the bezel wouldn't go on, one fit the case but the bezel was loose (with no gasket) and the other fit the bezel but not the case.

I got the callipers out and found they were all different (unsurprisingly, based on the above!), I then looked on CousinsUK and found there are a few different sizes of Sternkreuz crystal which are nominally the same Rolex T number.

In the end, after careful measurement, I put the biggest on in the lathe and turned the OD down and increased the step on the ID a bit. It all then pressed together perfectly with no gasket (I hate them!) and looked great.

The moral of the story is to measure your case carefully before ordering, and buy whatever is closest to a fit and is slightly oversize, that way you can cut it down for a perfect fit.

p.s. I cracked one around the skirt as I couldn't get it out of the holder I'd made for turning it, that made me angry and I ordered 3 more to be safe and, of course, I got it right second time!

ronin007

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
8/10/12
Kent England
Is this right then,if you want to replace the crystal on the 1680 you use the t-19,thats got no date window right,thanks for any help