• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2014 Baselworld Tudor Heritage Ranger

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
KjOLazz.jpg

Each of the past few years Tudor has given us something new in the Heritage collection. It all started with the Heritage Chronograph, then the Heritage Black Bay came along, and last year we got the Heritage Chrono Blue. Today we're happy to present to you the latest Heritage watch, the much-desired Ranger. This time-only watch is Tudor's take on the classic military or adventurer's watch – it's sturdy, highly legible, and has a classic look that's tough to argue with. Here we look at the history of the Ranger and what you can expect from the new Heritage Ranger.

ZsXiniT.png

The Ranger is Tudor's take on the basic 3-6-9-12 dial watch probably best known from Rolex's Explorer. While Tudor and Rolex both made watches with the Submariner name, Tudor did not use the Explorer moniker, instead adopting Ranger as the name for this family of Oysters and Oysterdates. There were a variety of different Rangers made over the years including models with a date window at 3 o'clock, and there was no singular reference number used across the board.

9p6ZWVY.png

The Ranger then disappeared and a totally different watch emerged under the name Ranger II. Until today, that is. The new Tudor Heritage Ranger takes many of the distinctive traits of the original Ranger while updating the watch for today. As with the Heritage Black Bay and the Heritage Chronograph, this is not a faux vintage piece; it's vintage-inspired but a thoroughly modern piece.

Ro2GcYt.png

The Heritage Ranger starts with a 41mm brushed stainless steel case with no crown guards and a smooth thin bezel. The dial is the classic 3-6-9-12 dial (without a date window) and between the luminous numerals are long luminous bars set against the lightly textured matte black dial. The hands are the familiar combination, with the arrow-shaped hours hand and the paddle seconds hand, though here the seconds hand is bright red, adding a little color to the mix.

Azn85Ro.png

There is the option of either a tan leather "Bund"-style strap or a steel bracelet, though both options come with a camouflage fabric strap as well. Yes, a camo strap straight from the factory.

d19wQfn.png

And the best part is that the Heritage Ranger will be priced at 2,800 CHF on the bracelet and 2,700 on the leather strap.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
That is a fine looking watch, Tudor are getting it consistently right at the moment, why don't a Rolex take note?

The Heritage series has successfully (in my opinion) taken cues from popular classic designs and come up with new models which are clearly linked to and evolving, but not copying, their inspiration.

At $2800 this will be a serious gen consideration for me come July...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Yup, me too. Very nice indeed. Looks awesome on the camo strap as well!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Lovely watch for less than half the price of the Rolex version. What's not to like?

Aldo69

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/12
That is class and understated. Love it, and what a price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
I hope they rep this piece because I can't seem to justify spending over a grand for a ETA2824 powered watch. I just can't.

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
I just gotta brush the case and I'm good. :)

20140428_083723_1_zps91691929.jpg

D

d4m.test

Interesting and a nice red seconds hand. But once in a while they may also put a date on it. Will be fine with the red and blue Blackbays for now. Interested in this one as a $300 rep if it happens to be, it´s simple enough to get a super-rep status if well done.

morninglory

27/1/09
Stunning on the simple tan regular strap; just got my Black Bay rep; very nice, very classy indeed.

Am beginning to think that Tudor is the Maserati to the Rolex Ferrari; same components bin, equally capable but much less brash!

ariffza

Known Member
20/11/11
Angus just announced that the rep will be available within a month time. It's made by a new maker.

hellokitty

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/11/12
I'm not a big fan of this one on the bracelet but on leather it looks fantastic.

letterboxmind

29/7/13
Best thing I like about this simple way his you can remove the bund strap and wear it with a regular leather/nato.

Sent from my iphone v5s