• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Speedy / Moonwatch plexi crystal

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Hi guys, I always like this classic from Omega and finally ordered one yesterday. I am gonna freeze the subdial at 6 and replace the crystal with a haselite/plexi.

I did some search on which crystal to grab for the modding but could only find the old threads... so.....

Can anyone let me know which good aftermarket haselite/plexi crystal will fit the moonie rep? :)

Appreciate any help!
Cheers

Kleen

I'm Pretty Popular
13/3/13
buy the gen omega Hesalite plexi - it's only 30-50,- depending on how lucky you are...

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11

Thanks mate, really helpful, I probably used the wrong keyword for the search!
I think the gen looks good, placing my order for one, the crystal is the only part I need to order to fit the rep case?

+1. Not that expensive as to look for alternatives...

buy the gen omega Hesalite plexi - it's only 30-50,- depending on how lucky you are...

Thanks guys, going gen crystal :D

braith7

Renowned Member
29/4/11
No probs, Ive just done the same so Ive been all over it lately.

Yeah, thats the only part you need. The crystal just pops out - then you need to pry out a thin little white-ish plastic ring to allow room for the gen plexi, which just presses in - although you may want to take the bezel insert off, and then press in the plexi, and then replace the bezel insert. I didnt do that and my plexi is i think a bit taller than it should be.

I actually damaged my seconds hand while doing the @6 hand freeze, so I currently have a gen seconds hand on the way from Cousins :s

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
I think the whist plastic ring is the crystal gasket, removing it may not be a good idea, since it will reduce the watch resistance?

No probs, Ive just done the same so Ive been all over it lately.

Yeah, thats the only part you need. The crystal just pops out - then you need to pry out a thin little white-ish plastic ring to allow room for the gen plexi, which just presses in - although you may want to take the bezel insert off, and then press in the plexi, and then replace the bezel insert. I didnt do that and my plexi is i think a bit taller than it should be.

I actually damaged my seconds hand while doing the @6 hand freeze, so I currently have a gen seconds hand on the way from Cousins :s

braith7

Renowned Member
29/4/11
Hmm, I didnt try it with the ring in, but as far as I can tell - you have a choice to make - plexi or water resistance.

Or maybe get another lower plexi like the low one TynoPrime got and it might look right sitting up on that ring?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

TynoPrime

Known Member
20/9/12
Yeah, unfortunately there just isn't room for both the gasket @0.25mm thick (so adds 0.50mm to the overall diameter) and the hesalite which is 34.00. The gap you have in the case is around 34.15. You can however buy a 33.50mm sternkruz high dome (HW) which will fit perfectly as it's the same size as the existing crystal. The profile is similar to the gen but not perfect, nor does it have the omega logo etched.

The the only way to gain some water resistance with the gen hesalite would be to glue it down to create a seal. Either that or just don't go near water! ( I can wash my hands with it on, just wouldn't submerge it)

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Many thanks mate! I will probably go with gen crystal with UV or hypo cement glue.

Now the watch... hmmm... PT seems to ordered the wrong watch for me..
I ordered this
http://www.pureti.me/product/speedmaster-professional-moon-watch-manual-winding-/

and the QC i got:
I wonder which version this is?
Told them to change, now to wait again.

IMG_5273_zps050d3294.jpg

IMG_5276_zps2516adbf.jpg

IMG_5274_zps71895c8d.jpg

TynoPrime

Known Member
20/9/12
It would seem so. Additionally the one you've ordered isn't the "ruby" edition that I have; the bezel insert is different. (Incorrect). As such it's hard to say if the case will measure the same; if it doesn't the gen plexi may NOT fit.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
It would seem so. Additionally the one you've ordered isn't the "ruby" edition that I have; the bezel insert is different. (Incorrect). As such it's hard to say if the case will measure the same; if it doesn't the gen plexi may NOT fit.

Thanks for the info mate. Interesting, I always thought that was only 1 version of the ST-19 with this dial. Only found 1 ver at PT as well as from Trevor http://v.yupoo.com/photos/trevorwatch/albums/4142268/?style=story

Any product link to the 'ruby' edition you own? How is the bezel insert difference?

TynoPrime

Known Member
20/9/12
Thanks for the info mate. Interesting, I always thought that was only 1 version of the ST-19 with this dial. Only found 1 ver at PT as well as from Trevor http://v.yupoo.com/photos/trevorwatch/albums/4142268/?style=story

Any product link to the 'ruby' edition you own? How is the bezel insert difference?

http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_81&products_id=535

There were around 3 different versions, although more unconfirmed ones. That's the "Ruby" version, however both WatchInternational (Rochest), Hont or Trevor can get it for around $230-250. You can see the difference in the bezel insert, most noticeably the font, size of text and accent over e in tachymetre. Which are all very close to gen.

As i said any "modded" watch I've seen is generally this version so it's hard to say if the dims match on the two cases!

braith7

Renowned Member
29/4/11
Many thanks mate! I will probably go with gen crystal with UV or hypo cement glue.

Now the watch... hmmm... PT seems to ordered the wrong watch for me..
I ordered this
http://www.pureti.me/product/speedmaster-professional-moon-watch-manual-winding-/

and the QC i got:
I wonder which version this is?
Told them to change, now to wait again.

IMG_5273_zps050d3294.jpg

IMG_5276_zps2516adbf.jpg

IMG_5274_zps71895c8d.jpg

As I understand it - thats an actual Moonwatch rep - a 3750.50 (plexi and solid back), while the better quality rep that we've all been buying is actually a 3753.50 (crystal and display caseback).

By swapping out the crystal for the plexi we are getting the best of both worlds :)

Although, seeing that... i wonder if that caseback would fit my "Ruby"?... I know there are plenty of tells but i dont understand how they could go to so much trouble to replicate the caseback and then get the text around the glass completely wrong :picard2:

Ps Tyno - Where did the Ruby name come from?

TynoPrime

Known Member
20/9/12
Yeah, it's possible. Again without someone purchasing it it's hard to say what actual size it is. Many of the reps aren't 42mm, but slightly varying sizes.

"Ruby" all started because back when this rep was really popular, around when it first came out, there was a TD called Ruby; and at the time that was the only place you could get this version, which as I said was far better than most versions available.

Check this post over at RepGeek for details on the different versions and have a look at post #13 for a rep vs gen on the Ruby.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Guys, is the Ruby version of the moonwatch a screw down crown or a push-pull crown ?

Sent using 1:1 Tapatalk

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
To be exact. This is the one. With push in crown.

ehupyqat.jpg

Sent using 1:1 Tapatalk