• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

what movement is this

rexplorer82

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/8/13
what movement is this and if its a good one what makes it a good one. i have this movement in a datejust and a explorer 2

and what is the value

rexplorer82

Banned
30/8/13
ok how do I do that upload them then use what link?

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
It is a A2836-2 eta clone. A copy of the venerable workhorse Swiss ETA 2836-2. The 28xx family of movements. The parts generally interchange with the Swiss version. And it can be serviced by any good watchsmith and parts are available everywhere. ...in short, yes, it is a good movement. Second only to the real Swiss made one.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Are you guys sure about this being a clone ?

Ive never seen a incabloc on a clone myself, they usually have the novodiac system on them.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Yes it is a clone. I know, yeah that INCABLOC,........... but I have clones with that too. A2836-2 movt. One is from Sead, an all bling DateJust with a diamond bezel in stainless steel. And an Explorer I from Trevor. Both in 36mm. They do exist, or did exist some time ago. Could have been the first clones. Maybe NOS. Surprised me too. But the finishing on the bridges and overall stamping of those ETA markings quickly give them away as clones. The Swiss 28xx movements both in INCABLOCS and the clover leaf looking NOVODIAC versions of the shock systems have a much clearer and crisper stamping of the ETA markings and a smoother finish on the bridges. Have opened quite a bunch of this cookies and seen these little surprises. Hope that clears that up. ................Let me add that for the unbelievers out there insisting that it 'may' be a Swiss, well, today, one of our advisors here in RWI, "Pix", just posted and sold a BP YM Rolesium with this same A2836-2 clone WITH an INCABLOC in it for $220. Pictures of that watch and movement posted too. It is out there, you have just got to open a lot more cases. Lets put down those torches and relax. That should soften the plot.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Other than Incablock conspiracy theory, what makes you so sure this is a clone? The ETA stamp (or what you can see of it) looks very crisp, the + sign doesn't hang off the side of the bridge like so many clones do, and the barrel is finished like ETA and not shiny like a clone.

Not saying it's gen. Just saying I don't see any tells that it's a clone jumping out at me. Of course those pictures aren't the best for telling anything definite.

rexplorer82

Banned
30/8/13
took it to a local jeweler its swiss not Asian. I have had it since 09 don't wear it often so when will service be needed?

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
looks like a swiss eta to me. I have been wrong before .... once

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
took it to a local jeweler its swiss not Asian. I have had it since 09 don't wear it often so when will service be needed?

According to watchmakers, every 5 years.

I kind of think, as long as it's working well, leave it alone. My theory is when the oils and greases start to gum up, it will start to run erratically.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06

Then again the question begs, has the local jeweler ever seen or is even familiar with clone movements? I don't think many jewelers would know the difference between a good clone and a real Eta movement.

I say flip a coin to decide what it is. Heads or tails and you'll be right :)