• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Platinum Mod and other little things

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
Hello RWI People :)

So i wanna show you a little Review of an Re-Colouring of the New Rolex Sub Ceramic Insert (11xx10)

My Wife has Nagging me that she want an Cheap Rolex NoDate for the everyday things.

I have grab then One from Reg

Must say Big Big Thanks to Reg for the nice and fast Support as allways :)

But a few Days after i order it i heared the Bad message that reg was fallin and that he was in Hospital :-/

The Watch wasn´t the Big problem! So the order was in the Pipe but Nobody knows at this Time what really happend with Reg.

At the End it was all good :D (Reg had Luck!)

At the mean Time i had order another NoDate from Nembo.

Nice and Fast too!

again, I have to say thank you Nembo!

Ok at a while i got both NoDate Watches...

So i grab them and check them as ever under Microscope for flaws, but both look very nice.
There are some Differents in the Lume but both are really good.

but then i checked the Colour of the Ceramic Insert and have seen, that the Colour is

1. Totaly wrong! The Gen Colour is Platinum.
2. The Colour is totaly Cheap and Soft.
3. There is so a mass of Colour that the Insert has no Deep Engaving

So at this Time i hadn´t an Gen Ceramic Insert around to Mix and Compare the right Colour.

I went with my Wife to my Trusted AD and let me showed the 114010 to check the Colour.

At this Time i wear my Franken 16610 with Gen insert. I Compared the Colour with the Ceramic insert and my 16610 Metal Insert.
And see that they have the same Colour :) the Ceramic has more Sparkeling Effects, because it is real Colour and the Metal has an Print.
But it is exactly the same Tone.

So i went Home and start to Mix the Colour. Damn that was intensive Time.
Mixed, Checked, Compared under Microscope etc.
But after a while i had it :) BAMMMM

Ok i Start to get out that Freaky Far East Colour or what ever it is :D

After a Hour or Two and 1-2 Beer later :) it looks like this...

That Guyz that do the Work with Occular are Crazy :)
I can´t do that with one Eye Hours long. With Stereo Optics it is an nice Working.

Ok so what we see, is that the Far East Factorys haven´t that precise Machines as the SWISS Guyz have...
And so we see an not soooo nice Cut out in the Ceramic. I think the Ceramic is the same Quality as the Gen has.

So if all Colour is gone we can set the Pearl on the right hight :)
Now only for Testing...
I was thinking to make me self an nice NoDate with anthracite Colour ;) Then it must look like as the Ceramic Bezel without Colour

Then i Start to Polish each Tooth of the Bezel... A Damn Idiot job :D
Sittin there with the Dremel and Polish each tooth... But the End result is AMAZING! Can´t see really on the Pics in real it looks great!

Ok after the Polishing start with the Paint Job...

After little Dry Time remove the rest of the Colour and it Shines like these :D

Then Center and Reglue the Pearl... On both Watches the Pearl wasn´t really Centered... But Now :)

Then Reglue the Insert... If the Bezel was Complete Cleaned from that Bad Glue that the Factorys use in masses, the Insert Snaps in as an Gen insert on an 16610
But it is important to Glue it right! At the first reglue my Wife lost the Insert at Work :)

Now the Insert is on the right hight too :)

Short Comparsion btw. the Factory Insert and the Modded one :)

Another Comparsion with the Factory one...

Comparsion btw. the Gen 16610 Insert and the Factory

And at the End a Complete side by side ;)
See the Crystal Hight, Bezel Shine and the Colour etc

Crystal Hight Different only with right Hight of the Insert

Nice Colour change from Silver to Grey to White, can´t see on the Photos soooo good

Bling Bling... Only the Best for my Wife :D LOL

That´s it...

Hope you Enjoy the little Tour?

I say THANKS for looking...

And NO i didn´t say the Secret Mixture of the Colour :p

You must use 1 drop Green, 2 drops Pink, 1x Blue, 1x Yellow, Orange, Brown, Black and the Rest of the 256 Colours :D

I say only i use Revell Colour... The Pigments of the Colour are really small and close to the Gen.
With the Naked Eye not Visible...

Now i only need an right Hand set for my Wife Watch ;) the Hand are wrong...

Which all a nice Saturday Night...

live1

Banned
25/3/13
good work man.but looks a bit to silver,should be grey platinum

zocker4711

Banned
18/3/13
I was with the Finished Watch at my Trust AD and have Compare ;) i have ask them for an 116610 for me :D
So i had the chance to Compare with the Gen... The Colour is 99,9% right...
My Wife and i didn´t see any big differents :)

live1

Banned
25/3/13
that is good .but imo looks too silver.keeping that original off white paint then applying the flat steel looks more gen like.ive also compared many times.good job though mate

benjji

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/13
sorry, for me the results is pure silver not gen platinum.... it should be a little more light... maybe mixed with a bit of white paint

zocker4711

Banned
18/3/13
To Show the Gen Platinum Colour on an Photo is real Hard... I mean with an good Digi Cam it will be no problem but not with an Smartphone :)

The Photos was made with an Iphone...

So never had think about to make an Review of it ;)

live1

Banned
25/3/13
if you didn't paint over the stock white paint it wont have that gen pearl grey look.also without the correct amount of thinner added to the paint it wont look correct.but it still looks ok imo.also what did you use to seal testors dull cote ?

BoydCrowder

Horology Curious
30/12/13
Nice work and you are lucky guy to have a trusted AD that allows you to compare your work to a gen piece.
Your wife is pleased with the result, that is what really matters. She is a lucky lady.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
as one of the pioneers of developing a feasible process to paint these shitty inserts, I gotta say, I am soooo over it.
v3 better show some love here.

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
To Show the Gen Platinum Colour on an Photo is real Hard... I mean with an good Digi Cam it will be no problem but not with an Smartphone :)

The Photos was made with an Iphone...

So never had think about to make an Review of it ;)
Great pics.can I ask,
Did you have much trouble getting the bezel off.I ask because I see these have the wire retainer.whenever I've replaced an insert I have done while the bezel was on to get the pearl centered,did you glue the insert on then put the bezel back?

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
The machine work on the bezel really isn't very good. Too bad they don't have the initiative to change tooling more often, or adjust the feed rate on their machine to get a better finish. Your mod looks really good. There's a fine silver version of the paint I used that as a bit more sparkle. Compared to the vacuum metalization process Rolex uses these results look pretty close.

live1

Banned
25/3/13
did you buy this bezel and insert u lucky sob lol

jonnyboy102

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/11/12
looks great. What paint did you use? I'v been trying with enamel and it just comes off when I take away the residue. thanks.

captaincaveman

17/2/12
First, good job on the PPPM. I applaud your efforts with both the insert paint and other refinements you've accomplished with the bezel. Your wife is a lucky woman.

You'll see, however, that even the best paint job is not a fair match to the gen plat finish. The mod will only take you so far but in the end, it's just model paint on a poorly finished insert.
I think the Ceramic is the same Quality as the Gen has.

SOrry man, i laughed out loud when I read this.

Surely you know by now where noob and BP acquire their insert paint.

live1

Banned
25/3/13
so explain what paint you used and what mix with thinner ratio.and what laqour did you use cheers

zocker4711

Banned
18/3/13
I mean the Ceramic with the Quality not the Paint ;)
The real Gen Paint is an AMZAING Mixture... You can´t get the right 100% same Colour or you must Steal RLX the Colour Code that they use :D

But the Ceramic is mostley the same.

If you Buy an Roca Toilette from Spain or an Villeroy & Boch Germany Toilette :D both use the same Ceramic

Nice Compasion ha? :)))

So the FarEast Machine Cut not only the Inserts, they Produce many other things with that too. And so the Quality is lost!
Other then RLX do... They have only 1 Machine that to only the Cut Job on the Ceramic Inserts and nothing else.

So i think the FarEast can do the same Quality but the Costs will then Explode, and no one will buy it.

The other thing is, in my eyes the FarEast Guyz didn´t want! That Ultra good Quality...

There was a nice set of Agnus ;) About the New RLX Movements...

The Movement looks very Accurate but not 100% as the Gen, because the Factorys didn´t want have trouble with RLX.

I think that is an Big Point at the Rep Scene too, if they would Produce 100% same inserts. There will be many Bad Guyz they will buy that and sell it on the Bay or other wise.
It´s on every Rep the same, mostley there is One Point with that you can Identify that it is an Rep Product. If you can´t the Rep Producer have problems to identify self there Products :D hehe

Anyway... with the Paint Mod you came a little bit more to the Gen ;)

First, good job on the PPPM. I applaud your efforts with both the insert paint and other refinements you've accomplished with the bezel. Your wife is a lucky woman.

You'll see, however, that even the best paint job is not a fair match to the gen plat finish. The mod will only take you so far but in the end, it's just model paint on a poorly finished insert.

SOrry man, i laughed out loud when I read this.

Surely you know by now where noob and BP acquire their insert paint.

live1

Banned
25/3/13
so what colour paint did u use man.what mix with thinner.and lacour did you use