• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modding on my 15400

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
As some of you know, I just came back from Thailand last week. As always when I am in Thailand, I go out and buy a watch.
This time I decided to get the AP 15400. You all know this watch. Klockis did a nice Rep vs Gen comparison which is a sticky in this section.
It is not easy to find high end replicas in Bangkok, but I have the contacts and it was easy to find. The price was right, 10% cheaper then
our TD sell it. I like the watch but is not one of my favour APs, I like the ROO and RB2 better, but this is a keeper for the collection.

Now to the modding, most of you know the bracelet is stiff, so I decided on the old WD40 and baby oil treatment. 4 days WD40 and 3 days baby
oil. The result is outstanding, just compare the pictures. The bracelet feels gen now, the color is much more gen and the feeling is gen.
No sharp edges, WD40 takes them away. I also did some modding on each piece of the bracelet so that it would be as flexible as the gen.
You can see this now in the pictures. Check out the crown, that is just a secret modd.

now to the pics

Foto1_zpsd44d66de.jpg

Foto7_zps703e92a8.jpg

Foto3_zps97552b8a.jpg

Here is Klockis gen / rep pic (with Klockis permission )

12braceletajpgoriginal_zps7391e091.jpg

here is my rep

Foto4_zps4d2ac1c5.jpg

Foto7_zps703e92a8.jpg

Klockis gen crown position

11crownbgenjpgoriginal_zpsdf125e77.jpg

my crown on 15400

Foto8_zps0af346ec.jpg

Foto10_zps5cdaecb2.jpg

Next modds....lume and AR. The lume is ok but it could be better! SAme to AR, this rep has no AR but for me AR is a must and the dial will pop out.

Foto11_zps67f793a3.jpg

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
amazing work Guru. I get my 15400 today, now i know what i have to do. I order some rock n roll cain lube for this but the wd40 and babyoil way looks very very good. Can you explane how to do that with wd40?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
easy Chris, just take a zip log bag, soak the bracelet in WD40, bend the bracelet once in a while so that the WD40 comes in places, then do the same with Baby Oil. When done, wash off the oil with hot water and soap. As longer the bracelet is in, as better it gets. I would recommmend min of 3 days for WD40 andmin of 2 days for Baby Oil.

jysutyqe.jpg

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
Thanks Guru, i do that.
Lets go to REWE for some Bübchen Baby oil....hehe

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
Is it the BP version or not? I have the Angus version and the bracelet is not as stiff as the BP one pictured by klockis.

Will take a pic later but the bracelet is as flexible as the gen out of the box on the Angus version.

The oil treatment definately helps to lubricate and it will enhance the feel but I don't think it will add a lot more flex due to the RO bracelet design.

Nice treatment.

Stuzzy

12/9/12
What do you mean by 'No sharp edges, WD40 takes them away'? WD isn't supposed to remove the tiniest metal parts, is it? If so then this would be a good idea for watch heads too, right? (of course with everything inside removed :))

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
What do you mean by 'No sharp edges, WD40 takes them away'? WD isn't supposed to remove the tiniest metal parts, is it? If so then this would be a good idea for watch heads too, right? (of course with everything inside removed :))

WD40 is a lubricant. It might change the feel, I suppose that's what he means. WD40 is by no means a product that removes metal particles. It does "clean" and lubricate it.

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
Angus Version out of the Box. But the feel of the Metal is a bit rough. I try the WD40/Baby Oil trick
utaryry6.jpg

lolilol

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/5/07
I will try it with my 15400 Rose gold at the end of this week ;) thanks

malfa

Certified
17/8/09
Conus
guru can u expound on how u mod the bracelet to be more flexible?

Cmurder

16/7/13
Anyone have any idea when the new version 15400 will come out as the super rep? Just got the Diver and don't mind waiting a bit for the next version anyone have any idea?

barth

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/10/12
Any news Chris ?

I might do that to my newly acquired RO Dual Time :)

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
Any news Chris ?

I might do that to my newly acquired RO Dual Time :)

After the WD-40 and baby oil bath is the flex the same but the feel of the steel is much much better. Before the feel was very rough and sharp. After the bath the feel is very smooth. I think it's a must for a SS bracelet. But this method is just one option. I do the same with my wife's Rolex bracelet and rock n roll chain lube and the result is the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

airali2001

Horology Curious
6/4/13
Hi Guru,

Where in thailand did you buy this rep?

I'm going to be visiting there in a few months